Quantcast
'Revolution, food riots in America by 2012' - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 'Revolution, food riots in America by 2012'

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by TKRIS

False.
    The Mayans had several different cyclical calenders. The 2012 Doomsday bullshit is based on a misinterpretation of the Long Count calendar made by some New Age wackjob guy with a doctorate in art history, and an appallingly tenous grasp of actual history or science.

Of all the conspiracy bullshit I subject myself to on a regular basis in the interests of truth and self-abasement, the 2012 is one of the most obviously wrong of all of them. Anyone who believes ANY of the 2012 theories (and I've lost count of how many ways in which I've been told the world will end on that fateful day) either has a serious mental deficiency, or can't be bothered to take, literally, 5 minutes to research the validity of their beliefs.

I'm constantly amazed and depressed by the realization that while the entire culmination of human knowledge is, quite literally, at our fingertips, people continue to believe in mystic crystal skulls, chemtrails, and homeopathy...
    Can you explain it, or link to a viable source of how the 2012 calendar is misinterpreted.

I have a bunch of so called 'wack jobs' at my work I would like to be able to rebuttal too.
    Cos...

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by The Cosworth

Can you explain it, or link to a viable source of how the 2012 calendar is misinterpreted.

I have a bunch of so called 'wack jobs' at my work I would like to be able to rebuttal too.
    This will get you started.
    http://members.shaw.ca/mjfinley/arguelles.html
    Additionally, you can look up anything written by actual Mayan experts regarding Arguelles's Dreamspell calendar. They all basically say the same thing: Arguelles doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about, and while there's a smattering of actual Mayan history and research mixed in, it's only there to hide the fact that all his high points are pulled directly out of his ass.
    Dr. Michael Coe put it best: "Totally crackpot."

Feel free to give me some specifics on what flavour of bullshit your coworkers are buying into if you'd like me to help you with a counterpoint. That is to say, are they of the impression that the crystal skulls are going to come together and end the world, or that the poles will suddently switch, or that PLanet 'X' is going to smash into us and kill everyone, etc.?
    Last edited by TKRIS; 12-04-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar "

"The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem. [12][13]"

[12] Malcolm Gladwell. Genius: 2012, (Video) from the 2007 New Yorker Conference. The New Yorker, 2007-05-07
    [13] a b G. Jeffrey MacDonald. Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse? USA Today, 2007-05-27

HTH.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Feel free to give me some specifics on what flavour of bullshit your coworkers are buying into if you'd like me to help you with a counterpoint. That is to say, are they of the impression that the crystal skulls are going to come together and end the world, or that the poles will suddently switch, or that PLanet 'X' is going to smash into us and kill everyone, etc.?
    awesome! I will read through that tonight!

As for their concerns they always say how accurate his calendar was, how there is some celestial event that only happens once in a [insert whatever here], and that no one knows what will happen.

Some take it more literally as the end of the world and the recent economic events as proof. (this one reminds me of everytime the middle east starts firing at each other, Christians quote it as the end of the world because the start of a conflict in the holy land).

Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar "

"The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem. [12][13]"

[12] Malcolm Gladwell. Genius: 2012, (Video) from the 2007 New Yorker Conference. The New Yorker, 2007-05-07
    [13] a b G. Jeffrey MacDonald. Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse? USA Today, 2007-05-27

HTH.
    yeah sorry I know what the calendar is, i was more asking for information on disproving some of the conspiracy theories that have spawned from it.
    Cos...

My Ride

awesome! I will read through that tonight!

As for their concerns they always say how accurate his calendar was,
    Like what? I've had this conversation before:
    "It's based on an very ancient calendar that's made incredibly accurate predictions"
    "Oh yeah? Such as."

"Well, err. it, ummm...."

Occasionally they'll make up some bullshit that is so easily debunked that I'm actually embarassed for them.

how there is some celestial event that only happens once in a [insert whatever here], and that no one knows what will happen.
    *cue spooky music*

ohhhhhhhh Planet X, aka Nibiru...

I'm not certain how Zacharia Sitchin's bullshit has become conjoined with Arguelles's bullshit, but it has. What's funny about this is that Sitchin doesn't think his fake planet is going to pass by on Arguelle's fake doomsday timeline. They can't even agree on their own made up, end of the world, bullshit. Haha...

Feel free to research nibiru. You'll find it under the heading of "Hypothetical, non-scientific astronomical bodies" in Wikipedia.

If you want a laugh, look into Sitchin while you're at it. haha

Here's a helpful tip: If you're going to base your bullshit on "ancient Sumarian texts"...you should probably make sure you can actually read Sumarian, as oppose to just banking on the fact that no one else ever will.

Some take it more literally as the end of the world and the recent economic events as proof. (this one reminds me of everytime the middle east starts firing at each other, Christians quote it as the end of the world because the start of a conflict in the holy land).
    You'll be very, very, very hard pressed to find ANY time in history lacking soothsayers predicting that the end is nigh...

yeah sorry I know what the calendar is, i was more asking for information on disproving some of the conspiracy theories that have spawned from it.
    The appended citations [12] and [13] appear to contain the information you seek.
    Last edited by Legless_Marine2; 12-04-2008 at 05:05 PM.

You'll be very, very, very hard pressed to find ANY time in history lacking soothsayers predicting that the end is nigh...
    And for all preceding civilizations and peoples those predictions eventually came true.

My Ride

And for all preceding civilizations and peoples those predictions eventually came true.
    Bwahahahahahaha.
    That is one of the dumbest, most nonsensical, and irrelevant things I've read in a long, long time.
    Last edited by TKRIS; 12-04-2008 at 05:19 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Bwahahahahahaha.
    That is one of the dumbest, most nonsensical, and irrelevant things I've read in a long, long time.
    thanks for all your help. I like reading shit like this and laughing at people who think that things are going to change drastically (not normal progression) to me it just screams people who honestly believe they are better than everyone else (because why else would the most important time in history happen when THEY are around and are able to predict it)

Hopefully that makes sense, it is saturday
    Cos...

soylent green 2012, anyone?

My Ride
    Model S

soylent green is people

thanks for all your help. I like reading shit like this and laughing at people who think that things are going to change drastically (not normal progression)
    I really don't know anyone who is suggesting an immediate collapse. Decline is macro process, and can often only be identified in hindsight. Collapse is possible, but likely only after extended decline.

It's always disappointing to me to see people who are dismissive of matters they are unable to understand: Celente's toenail has more education and intelligence than this entire site combined.

to me it just screams people who honestly believe they are better than everyone else (because why else would the most important time in history happen when THEY are around and are able to predict it)
    Beliefs spring from myriad motivations, assumptions, and influences. It is oversimplistic to assume a particular belief springs from one motivation.

It smacks of arrogance, that someone who hasn't devoted any effort to studying a subject assumes that they are qualified to evaluate or dismiss someone who has devoted themselves to it.
    Last edited by Legless_Marine2; 12-06-2008 at 10:33 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

^its fairly evident that you lost more than your legs during your days in battle.

Originally posted by googe
    ^its fairly evident that you lost more than your legs during your days in battle.
    How so?

Originally posted by googe
    soylent green is people
    yeah man, food riots, soylent green...am i the only one who sees the connection?

It smacks of arrogance, that someone who hasn't devoted any effort to studying a subject assumes that they are qualified to evaluate or dismiss someone who has devoted themselves to it.
    This assumes that people in this thread are dismissing the concepts based on their own education on the matter, rather than relying on people with equal (or more likely vastly superior) understanding of the subject matter.

In matters like this, it does not require someone to spend years of their lives in order to be able to make an evaluation, there is enough information presented by both sides that some logical reasoning can discern which is correct.

I was watching the documentary on the Sun from ninjavideos, they were saying that 2012 is when sunspots will face the earth, which would cause coronal mass ejections to hit the earth straight on causing power outages worldwide or something of that sort (well it has a chance to, not saying it will)
    Last edited by dubol; 12-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Originally posted by dubol
    I was watching the documentary on the Sun from ninjavideos, they were saying that 2012 is when sunspots will face the earth, which would cause coronal mass ejections to hit the earth straight on causing power outages worldwide or something of that sort (well it has a chance to, not saying it will)
    Sounds like 2012's gonna be an interesting year any way you cut it.

The various converging theories reminds me of Heinlein's "Year of the Jackpot".

Originally posted by Antonito

This assumes that people in this thread are dismissing the concepts based on their own education on the matter, rather than relying on people with equal (or more likely vastly superior) understanding of the subject matter.

In matters like this, it does not require someone to spend years of their lives in order to be able to make an evaluation, there is enough information presented by both sides that some logical reasoning can discern which is correct.
    \

Absolutely. I'm in full agreement with you that familiarity with major secondary sources in field is sufficient to form an informed opinion.

It's clear from many of the uninformed and ignorance responses in the thread that such a degree of knowledge has not been achieved.

I think this 2012 date is odd because it is mentioned everywhere, all the time. As one poster said, human growth cannot be infinite and I truly believe in that. The way our society is nowadays, people are just straight fucked up. Everyone is extermely materialistic, only out for themselves, don't help other people, etc etc...if I go by what my parents tell me, society wasn't like that when they were younger.

As for all this food rioting shit...lol, I remember a couple months ago people were saying october 7th was the date shit went down...nothing much happened except the dow went down 600 points or something. One thing we can learn through history: the US always gets themselves out of messes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3