Quantcast
Will the "terrorists" fear mongering ever end? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Will the "terrorists" fear mongering ever end?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Will the "terrorists" fear mongering ever end?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/02/ter...ort/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terrorists are likely to use a weapon of mass destruction somewhere in the world in the next five years, a blue-ribbon panel assembled by Congress has concluded.

They are more likely to use a biological weapon than a nuclear one -- and the results could be devastating, the chairman of the commission told CNN.

"The consequences of a biological attack are almost beyond comprehension. It would be 9/11 times 10 or a hundred in terms of the number of people who would be killed," former Sen. Bob Graham said.

He cited the flu virus that killed millions of people in 1918 as an example.

"Today it is still in the laboratory, but if it should get out and into the hands of scientists who knew how to use it for a violent purpose, we could have multiple times the 40 million people who were killed 100 years ago," he said.

The U.S. government "needs to move more aggressively to limit" the spread of biological weapons, the commission said in its report.

Graham warned that such measures would be costly, but were necessary.

"The leadership of this country and the world will have to decide how much of a priority ... they place on avoiding the worst weapons in the world getting in the hands of the worst people in the world," he said.

"It is not going to be cheap. It is not going to be accomplished without some sacrifices. It won't be accomplished without putting this issue ahead of some other competing national and international goals. But I think our safety and security depend upon doing so," he added.

Graham said a biological attack was more likely than a nuclear one because it would be easier to carry out.

Biological weapons "are more available," he said. "Anthrax is a natural product of dead animals. Other serious pathogens are available in equally accessible forms."

"There are so many scientists who have the skills to convert a pathogen from benign, helpful purposes into an illicit, very harmful weapon," he added.

But the commission warned that there is also a threat of nuclear terrorism, both because more countries are developing nuclear weapons and because some existing nuclear powers are expanding their arsenals.

"Terrorist organizations are intent on acquiring nuclear weapons," said the report, which was published Tuesday on the Internet and will be officially released Wednesday.

CNN obtained a copy of the report Monday evening.

It cited testimony before the commission from former Sen. Sam Nunn, who said that the "risk of a nuclear weapon being used today is growing, not receding."

The report recommends a range of measures, including increased security and awareness at biological research labs and strengthening international treaties against the spread of biological and nuclear weapons.

"Many biological pathogens and nuclear materials around the world are poorly secured -- and thus vulnerable to theft by those who would put these materials to harmful use, or would sell them on the black market to potential terrorists," the report warned.

The commission expressed particular concern about the nuclear programs of Iran and North Korea, and about Pakistan, which it described as "the intersection of nuclear weapons and terrorism."

While observing that Pakistan is a U.S. ally, the report said, "the next terrorist attack against the United States is likely to originate from within the Federally Administered Tribal Areas" in Pakistan. The tribal areas lie in northwest Pakistan where the government exerts little control; the United States says it is a haven for militants from both Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan.

Congress created the commission to investigate and report on WMD and terrorism in line with a recommendation from the 9/11 Commission, which compiled a report on the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States. Commissioners heard testimony from more than 250 experts from around the world over the course of their six-month investigation.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Seriously, how the hell did they come up with "by 2013"???
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

if that ever happens, the entire middle east will be made into a giant parking lot.

the talk about these plans originating in pakistan has some truth to it. that is why they US has drones overhead 24/7 dropping bombs.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Pakistan got nukes.

But the government is afraid of the Muslim extremist and only go after them for show. Making it an awesome hideout.

If you look at SARS, the biological danger is always there.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-04-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Originally posted by 1997GSR
    if that ever happens, the entire middle east will be made into a giant parking lot.

the talk about these plans originating in pakistan has some truth to it. that is why they US has drones overhead 24/7 dropping bombs.
    it will only happen if the elites inside the US government want it to happen. Also, what the ISI knows and plans the CIA knows. The fact that there is any connection to the ISI shows that the CIA somehow had knowledge or was involved. Also mainstreem media is reporting that the terrorists were doped up on LSD which is a known CIA tactic.

Default Re: Will the "terrorists" fear mongering ever end?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    "The consequences of a biological attack are almost beyond comprehension. It would be 9/11 times 10 or a hundred in terms of the number of people who would be killed," former Sen. Bob Graham said.
    Hahah right out of the script of Team America.
    ---

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

its ok the world is gonna end in 2012 anyways......

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by vtec4life
    its ok the world is gonna end in 2012 anyways......
    My batteries say so. LOL

I also would like to know where they come up with these magical dates? By 2013? They just noticed that the Obama being black thing has passed and they need something new to focus on.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

It would be 9/11 times 10 or a hundred in terms of the number of people who would be killed," former Sen. Bob Graham said.
    First thing I noticed. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Default Re: Re: Will the "terrorists" fear mongering ever end?

Originally posted by kenny

Hahah right out of the script of Team America.
    Exactly what I thought when I read that bit.

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

Default Re: Will the "terrorists" fear mongering ever end?

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/02/ter...ort/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Terrorists are likely to use a weapon of mass destruction somewhere in the world in the next five years, a blue-ribbon panel assembled by Congress has concluded.

I doubt it, I don't think america will be using any wmd's when obama is president.

My Ride
    SC 03 eclipse, 06 TJ,Shadow1100, HD FXSTC, Chopper

You guys forget that Obama will save all
    Member since 2003.

My Ride

HAHAHAHA

AMMMEEEERICAAAAA FUCK YEA!

My Ride
    s13

the only country to actually use a WMD.....

this is just getting rediculous!
    Originally posted by know1edge
    Trollception. MGCM used CapnCrunch's troll and inverted that troll attempt into another troll attempt getting ya'll to believe that he's serious... However, maybe ya'll are trollceptioning me into believing that you believe him. What you don't know is that I was trollceptioning ya'll into believing that I believed you believed the OP that believed CapnCrunch.

the terrorist fear mongering will never end, because that's what terrorism is. They're supposed to be underlying political acts to create a general atmosphere of intimidation.