UN approves piracy land pursuit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: UN approves piracy land pursuit

Default UN approves piracy land pursuit

Jack a boat? Your gunna die!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7786652.stm
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    firebird

It will be interesting if this turns into a staging grounds for the US to lay foot on Somali soil and go after insurgents there. The nation is a breeding grounds for radical islam and was a major ingredient in the 1990s rise of Bin Laden and Al-Queda.

Far fetched....but within the realm of possibility.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Saab 9.3 Aero

errr... well this is treading in murky waters (no pun intended). I understand that the illegal international piracy of ships must be stopped, but going as far as enabling the UN nations to land on Somali soil on just the basis that their respective country's ships were/are hijacked is in my opinion an attack on the sovereignty of the Somali nation. I hope this new initiative will bring more stability in the region and lead to easier trade(less risky trade) across the Gulf of Eden and Arabian Sea. Obviously there are many possible solutions to this problem so let us discuss and hear them...

Uhm, there is no integral Samoli nation, that is the root of the problem.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by DayGlow
    Uhm, there is no integral Samoli nation, that is the root of the problem.
    Thats what I was thinking

My Ride
    firebird

^There is no effective government in Somalia which is a seperate issue from the question of other nations being allowed on their soil.

I am all for going after pirates on and off land, but there is a moral issue as to how far a pirate chaser can go to catch them. Sounds to me like a terrorist catching mechanism.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    firebird

Oh I totally called this.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/08121...a_piracy_un_us

They are going to use missles to run-down little somalians on speed boats? More like use missles to hit training camps, etc.

-Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Audi

It gives authority for one year for countries to use "all necessary measures" by land or air to stop anyone using Somali territory to plan, help or carry out acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea
    The scope for what 'all necessary measures' means is vague and not defined.

Can it can be interpreted as they can pursue the pirates anywhere, and permits sending in ground troops? Then again, we all know how well ground troops in somalia do.

War on Drugs - Status : Not going well
    War on Terrorism - Status : The jury is still out
    War on Piracy - Status : Maybe 1 out of 3 will succeed

i kid, i know this is a serious issue.