Temporary layoffs for 400 Calgary steel workers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Temporary layoffs for 400 Calgary steel workers

Default Temporary layoffs for 400 Calgary steel workers

13 January 2009

Tue, January 13, 2009
    Steel plant workers brace for layoffs
    UPDATED: 2009-01-13 01:29:28 MST

Temporary layoffs have been issued to 400 workers at TenarisPrudential, a steel company located in southeast Calgary. (Darren Makowichuk, Sun Media)

Workers at a Calgary steel plant are on tenterhooks this week as their future hangs in the balance.

Representatives of United Steelworkers Local 7226, which represents about 400 workers at the TenarisPrudential plant in Calgary, will meet with management later this week to discuss the company's business plan for 2009.

The company has declined comment, as the 2009 business plan is still under review, a company official said yesterday.

TenarisPrudential informed its workers last week that starting Jan. 26, its Calgary plant manufacturing tubes used in the energy sector will shut down for six working days, said United Steelworkers representative Keith Turcotte.

At the meeting, the union plans to discuss with management how the new business plan will impact its membership of about 400 workers.

"We hope it's a short-term thing," Turcotte said about the six-day shutdown.

Many of the workers are long-time employees with up to 30 years of service and are close to retirement, he said.

TenarisPrudential specializes in welded tubes used in the energy industry's drilling sector.

Drilling activity in Alberta, however, has been declining steadily and is forecast to continue declining this year.

The Petroleum Service Association of Canada estimates that in 2009, 10,400 wells will be drilled in Alberta, an 11% decrease of from the previous year.

In 2008, Alberta was the only province to see drilling decrease over the previous year.

Turcotte said he realizes how susceptible TenarisPrudential is to the ebb and flow of the market.

Unemployment in Alberta is still the lowest in the country and sat at 4.1% in December, compared to a national unemployment rate of 6.6%, Statistics Canada reported last week.

Economists, however, generally agree the Alberta unemployment rate will edge up gradually, at least during the first months of this year, as the impact of stubbornly low commodity prices is weaving its way through the economy.

My Ride
    FA1

Saw this on the news yesterday that really blows for those guys, some of those guys have been there for like 35 years.

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

My dad works there. He has been with the company 29 years, gets his pension at 30.. and then this happens..

My Ride
    missy

Originally posted by Tarrantula
    My dad works there. He has been with the company 29 years, gets his pension at 30.. and then this happens..
    Such garbage, hope it drags out so your old man gets what he's worked for.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

I think Tenaris had plans of breaking the union when they bought the place. Its a shitty deal though. One of the things that kept prudential going in the 80's was the strong relationship between the company and union. You have to give both sides credit back then. In all of the years of operation that plant has never had a strike.

Oh well, as they used to say there when layoffs came yearly ... doomsday in May (only now May is coming a bit early)
    Last edited by alloroc; 01-13-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-17-2020 at 05:00 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Sucks but it will be the norm in 09.

You can thank Stalmach for this.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

Originally posted by Xtrema

What has the provincial government done?

raised royalties where have you been for the last year

Default Re: Temporary layoffs for 400 Calgary steel workers

Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL

In 2008, Alberta was the only province to see drilling decrease over the previous year.

Originally posted by gran turismo

What has the provincial government done?

My Ride

I don't think any of the other parties would charge lower royalties than the conservatives.

Who is probably really responsible is Alan Greenspan for artificially propping up the US economy for so many years.

Or maybe in this case you can blame Tenaris directly. Ask anyone who works there. Things have not been pleasant at the big P the last (Edit: 2.5) years. Heck its not even the big P any more - Tenaris ripped the sign down.

Personally I think the company (meaning long time company employees) and the union need to look at the joint steering commitee and see if they if they cant get CSTEC and unemployment Canada involved (again) to retrain some folks into a career other than bevelling pipe or pulling trim and hopefully save some families before Tenaris pulls the carpet out from underneath them.
    Last edited by alloroc; 01-13-2009 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

Originally posted by scortracer
    raised royalties where have you been for the last year
    You believe the new royalty regime is to blame for these layoffs? The higher royalties are only implemented when oil/gas are at higher prices, which they are not. Oil at $37 a barrel. Where have you been over the past 6 months? I can't believe Albertans still think they should be so insulated from the rest of the economy.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I can't believe Albertans still think they should be so insulated from the rest of the economy.

I don't think we are shielded but new royalty scheme just kicks your teeth in while you're down. Making surviving a bust so much harder.

I don't doubt new ownership is partly to blame. But everyone got less work because of royalty.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-13-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Global economic downturn
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

I don't think we are shielded but new royalty scheme just kicks your teeth in while you're down. Making surviving a bust so much harder.

I don't doubt new ownership is partly to blame. But everyone got less work because of royalty.
    I don't agree. With prices of oil/gas as low as they are right now, the current royalty structure is actually less than the previous structure.

As for the laid off steel workers, I do feel for them. Hopefully management can work something out for employees close to retirement.

You believe the new royalty regime is to blame for these layoffs? The higher royalties are only implemented when oil/gas are at higher prices, which they are not. Oil at $37 a barrel. Where have you been over the past 6 months? I can't believe Albertans still think they should be so insulated from the rest of the economy.

The announcement of the new royalty rates caused O&G companies to look to the other provinces for where there $$$ would be spent. This results in less drilling here and that's exactly what this company provides services for. Yes the overall economy is to blame as well but I'm sure this had some sort of affect.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I don't agree. With prices of oil/gas as low as they are right now, the current royalty structure is actually less than the previous structure.
    That may be. But my investment dollar will be spend at places where it will be cheaper when the market comes back.

When I first read what you posted, it looked like 400 were being laid off.

But the article now says http://calsun.canoe.ca/Business/2009...03881-sun.html that the union simply represents 400 and doesn't give a count for the number of layoffs.

My Ride

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    When I first read what you posted, it looked like 400 were being laid off.

But the article now says http://calsun.canoe.ca/Business/2009...03881-sun.html that the union simply represents 400 and doesn't give a count for the number of layoffs.
    Layoffs Hit Calgary Oil Industry Distributor
    CHQR Newsroom
    1/13/2009

Four hundred workers at Tenaris Prudential received temporary layoff notices Monday. Officials with the Oil & Gas supplies company say it's a six day closure for now, but it's not known if there will be any further cuts. Local Union President Wylie Craig told Global news it's effective January 23rd. It's being speculated nearly half of the temporary layoffs will become permanent, and all after the company went on a hiring spree just last year. The union will reportedly be holding talks with the company Thursday.

Good thing they have a union, because some of those guys close to retirement are going to be the first ones looked at to be chopped, and they'll need all the help they can get if they have any hope of that not happening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast