Quantcast
"Alleged" Hit & Run Driver Arrested - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: "Alleged" Hit & Run Driver Arrested

Stavros Costoulas lives with his parents on 25th Avenue SW not far from 37th Avenue. He manages his familys' restaurant and beyonf that, his life is his car. When he hit Sandra, she was on the centre line and because she was crossing at a slight angle to the car she was heading too she was looking the other way. Not uncommon considering she was out of his path of travel. Costoulas did not react until he hit her. When he hit her, he struck her left leg that put her in a spin, she went down the car and her head smashed through his drivers side window and into the B frame of the car, she was then thrown 20 feet into to a parked car and then landed on the street. He was travelling between 50 and 60 km per hour when he hit her. This is what the accident reconstruction report states.

When the car was seized.... hair and blood samples were collected from the car, and a clear indent in the drivers door is present from the impact.

As it was 14 hours later when Costoulas tried to report a 'minor fender bender' it can't be prooved he was drinking. But his family have been very kind to provide statements to say he was sober.

As I wrote. Sandra was on the centre line, and he did not react until he hit her. Why? We don't know.

Sandra suffered fractures of her skull, neck, back, upper and lower leg and pelvis. Had a brain hemmorage and 1.4 litres of blood in her chest cavity. She suffered lateral lacerations and her clothes were shredded.

Stavros Costoulas was doing something that night and because of it someone lost their life. Sandra was ON the CENTRE LINE....She was 5'9, 220 lbs and wearing a white sweater....

I found the forum after Internet searches. It seems that there are a few people out there that have an opinion. It's just too bad they don't know what they are really talking about.

Now, for those of you that have your 'opinions' and want to talk about popcorn and bash my wife. PM me, and I'll give you our address and we will see if you have the guts to show up at our door and trash talk.
    Last edited by daboniface; 08-08-2011 at 01:58 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

^ I don't think anyway is trying to bash your wife.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Hondas

Chill with the lesbian E-thug..... Canmorite is right.

Remember to always look both ways before crossing the street everyone.

Lets also remember that J-walking doesn't give you any right-of-way, implied or otherwise.

RIP to the woman, but she's gotta look both ways. Can't always count on the driver of the car, the pedestrian is the one with something to lose.

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by 89s1
    Chill with the lesbian E-thug..... Canmorite is right.

Remember to always look both ways before crossing the street everyone.

Lets also remember that J-walking doesn't give you any right-of-way, implied or otherwise.

RIP to the woman, but she's gotta look both ways. Can't always count on the driver of the car, the pedestrian is the one with something to lose.
    as much as she could havelooked both ways sometimes people just don't see predestrians at night. sometimes it could have been an unfortunate case of driver looking away for a split second.

RIP, and condolences to you for your loss.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by stevieo

as much as she could havelooked both ways sometimes people just don't see predestrians at night. sometimes it could have been an unfortunate case of driver looking away for a split second.

RIP, and condolences to you for your loss.
    Accidents happen, yes, that's why they aren't called "on purposes" and it's sad someone died.

However just because it's an accident, doesn't give someone the right to keep on driving, and not even try to contact police for 14 hours.

I'd say there's definitely more to the story, that we'll never hear about.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    kryptonian meteorite

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Accidents happen, yes, that's why they aren't called "on purposes" and it's sad someone died.

However just because it's an accident, doesn't give someone the right to keep on driving, and not even try to contact police for 14 hours.

I'd say there's definitely more to the story, that we'll never hear about.
    oh ya totally, you can't just flee the scene after hitting SOMEONE!
    thats where your ethics and morals come in.. i didn't mean to have the post come out trying to defend the guy or anything.

RIP

Stavros Costoulas, was he a closeted homosexual? or someone who incited a hate crime?
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

No jail time for fatal hit and run
    Last Updated: Thursday, November 19, 2009 | 12:41 PM MT

(CBC)A driver who struck and killed a woman crossing a street in January will not be going to jail.

Stavros Steve Costoulas, 43, pleaded guilty in a Calgary courtroom Thursday to failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

Costoulas hit Sandra McEvoy, 45, as she crossed at 10th Avenue and 17th Street S.W. after leaving work at a Money Pennies pub, early in the morning on Jan. 18. At the time, police said there was no indication alcohol or speed were involved.

In court Thursday, Costoulas apologized for driving away from the scene of the collision, saying he panicked. He went to a police station that afternoon.

Provincial court Judge Judith Shrier gave Costoulas a one-year conditional sentence. He is suspended from driving for a year, must regularly report to a probation officer, must abide by a nighttime curfew, and must perform 100 hours of community service.

The judge said if Costoulas had stayed at the scene of the collision, he may not have faced any charges.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

good update

jaywalker 0

doucebag hit and run guy 1

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I can't believe Beyond actually left this thread alone for so many months. I would have expected a topic of this magnitute would yield dozens of pages...

I'm sure he didn't mean to hit her. And it WAS an accident. But man... killing someone now has the same penalty as was imposed on myself when I shoplifted at 15 years old? (Minus the driving suspension, of course)

That's fucking brutal.

Daboniface: I hope you have a good lawyer and sue the fuck out of his ass. Money will not bring your wife back, but you need SOME sort of retribution/justice in this case.

My condolences for your loss, and our pathetic justice system.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Blah
    So hard to comment on this.
    Sorry about your loss. But man that must suck to take someones life. No one can say what they would do, all they can do is speculate. I can't imagine hitting someone. I don't think i would be capable driving away. Or living it down

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I can't believe Beyond actually left this thread alone for so many months. I would have expected a topic of this magnitute would yield dozens of pages...

I'm sure he didn't mean to hit her. And it WAS an accident. But man... killing someone now has the same penalty as was imposed on myself when I shoplifted at 15 years old? (Minus the driving suspension, of course)

That's fucking brutal.

Daboniface: I hope you have a good lawyer and sue the fuck out of his ass. Money will not bring your wife back, but you need SOME sort of retribution/justice in this case.

My condolences for your loss, and our pathetic justice system.
    that's the thing, this whole incident immediately reminded me of angela ta and her mowing down of the kid in her BMW.

It's not like the guy hopped in his car and said lets see which lesbian I can mow down tonight. Ultimately it came down to a douce not paying attention while driving, and some lady that thought she had complete right of way crossing the street without looking.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The judge said if Costoulas had stayed at the scene of the collision, he may not have faced any charges.
    This most likely means that he was not at fault, and the victim was jaywalking.

He only got charged and convicted of failing to stop at the scene of an accident, and the punishment fits the crime, even though a death took place.

I don't think she can sue for anything, it'd be a stretch to award any damages.

This is NOTHING like the Angela Ta case, where she took someone out in a marked crosswalk.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

okay fine... not exactly like the angela ta case.

What I meant was that it is the same case of the pedestrian not paying complete attention while crossing the road.

we are coming back to the whole NA pedestrian way of thinking/attitude here.

were as in other countries pedestrians ALWAYS watch for traffic or you DIE!

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

I have an interesting hypothetical, since this just about happened to me the other day:

About 11 pm, Goth kid, wearing all black with a black umbrella, stepped out in front of my car in a marked but unlit crosswalk, in the rain. I just managed to avoid the person, but if I hadn't had bright HIDs on, I don't think I would have ever seen them.

So, if I would have hit the kid, I'd imagine I would be at fault since it was a marked crosswalk, but would some of the blame be shifted off for them not activating the crossing indicator and wearing clothing that essentially makes them invisible?
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    I have an interesting hypothetical, since this just about happened to me the other day:

About 11 pm, Goth kid, wearing all black with a black umbrella, stepped out in front of my car in a marked but unlit crosswalk, in the rain. I just managed to avoid the person, but if I hadn't had bright HIDs on, I don't think I would have ever seen them.

So, if I would have hit the kid, I'd imagine I would be at fault since it was a marked crosswalk, but would some of the blame be shifted off for them not activating the crossing indicator and wearing clothing that essentially makes them invisible?
    i know exactly how you feel there. I just about smoked a chick wearing all black on a rainy night, while she was in a crosswalk. I was not distracted at all, it was just impossible to see her till i just about ran her down.

I remember it vividly, and all i could think of was, who would believe me that i WAS paying attention, and just could not see her if i did smoke her....
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

^ Exactly. I was even paying extra attention because I knew there was a crosswalk there. I still didn't see this person until the last second.
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Crosswalks without flashing overhead lights need to be light a hell of a lot better than they are now, fuck energy conservation.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by msommers
    Crosswalks without flashing overhead lights need to be light a hell of a lot better than they are now, fuck energy conservation.
    LEDs man. Almost all these things are LEDs now. But if somebody doesn't push the button and just walks out, how does that help us as drivers?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3