Quantcast
Need Electrical Help: 220 Volt Wiring - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need Electrical Help: 220 Volt Wiring

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Default Need Electrical Help: 220 Volt Wiring

I just bought a new dust collector for my shop. The dust collector is 3 wire 220 volt (Black/White/Ground). I have a basement workshop and have a 220V plug for the dryer nearby, which is a 4 wire (Red/Black/White/Ground).

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible for me to wire my dust collector to a plug that will work with my existing receptacle? I've done some searching but can't seem to find much addressing this.

Any electricians that can help me out??

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

Does the plug fit?

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

No, right now the dust collector has a 3 wire (220V) twist plug, I have bought a new plug (which is 4 wire) to fit the existing dryer receptacle.

The new receptacle is meant for 4 wire applications, I'm wondering if I can use it though to wire my DC.

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

What colour is the wire you are calling ground? green? or stripped copper?

First off, the advice before this is terrible. Hah.

Check the current load required for the dust collector, it might be the 50amp circuit requirements, your dryer is typically 30Amp. If this is the case, you definatly cannot use the circuit for your dust collector. Even if the Dust collector is rated for 20A, you would not want to use it in a 30A circuit.. etc.

If both the dust collector and dryer at 30A (or matching) then you can use the 2 hot wires and the ground wire, (cap the neutral) and wire it to a 220v Twistlock.

Your best bet is to run a dedicated circuit for the dust collector using the proper guage wire and the twist lock recepticle. (This is especialy important if you wanted a circuit for a welder or some other high current device)

PS. Im not responsible for death/injury if it occurs, always have an electrician do the work.

NOTE- Many different types of twist lock plugs for 220v depending on amps:
    http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/dept_...D5DA3FD9D8CC74
    Last edited by Alterac; 01-28-2009 at 04:59 PM.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i'm a journeyman electrician, let me know when you want this done and where your shop is and i'll pm you my number

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Alterac

Check the current load required for the dust collector, it might be the 50amp circuit requirements, your dryer is typically 30Amp. If this is the case, you definatly cannot use the circuit for your dust collector. Even if the Dust collector is rated for 20A, you would not want to use it in a 30A circuit.. etc.

If both the dust collector and dryer at 30A (or matching) then you can use the 2 hot wires and the ground wire, (cap the neutral) and wire it to a 220v Twistlock.

Your best bet is to run a dedicated circuit for the dust collector using the proper guage wire and the twist lock recepticle. (This is especialy important if you wanted a circuit for a welder or some other high current device)

PS. Im not responsible for death/injury if it occurs, always have an electrician do the work.

Yeah, the dryer is 30A and the DC is only 10A. I was thinking to maybe run a small pony panel off the breaker for the dryer.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by Alterac

he would be fine to run a 20a load on a 30a circuit. breakers are rated 80% of their marked load capacity.

Wiring this is really easy. The black and white wires are your +120v. (black + white = 240v) and green is your ground. (thats ground not common)

Just get a volt meter and measure the voltages across the terminals in your dryer plug to find which 2 are your "hots"

I am not sure why your dryer receptical has 4 wires, probably just a lazy electrician. (unless there are 2 separate cables comming into your receptical)

I would asume that one of the wires in that circuit is not connected to anything. Check inside your main panel to see whats connected from that line.

Wiring is easy. Just make sure you understand how it works, wear gloves and work careful! (and understand how it works!!!)

Originally posted by project240

Yeah, the dryer is 30A and the DC is only 10A. I was thinking to maybe run a small pony panel off the breaker for the dryer.
    functionally this would work fine (however its wouldn't be to code) but if you tried to run both appliances at the same time you would trip the breaker

if not too big of a pain to access, just wire a plug on your duct collector and plug it in when you want to use it
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    oooo

Lots of dryers have ground AND neutral if they are running more than just the heating coils. It is certainly not just a "lazy electrician".

They use the neutral, one phase of 120 and ground to run a 120vac control panel or computer for the sequences. Infact my brother has an LG that is 240 for the elements, 120 for the timer controls and 12VDC for the lcd display and corresponding knob.

If it is all mechanical switches or 240vac controlls the they only use 2 phases and a ground.

electrical 101..

now who wants to troubleshoot some firealarm panels!
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by legendboy

he would be fine to run a 20a load on a 30a circuit. breakers are rated 80% of their marked load capacity.

if not too big of a pain to access, just wire a plug on your duct collector and plug it in when you want to use it
    would running the 10A dust collector on a 30a circuit hurt the dust collector in any way?

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Is the is the receptacle a 3 phase maybe?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Originally posted by sillysod
    Lots of dryers have ground AND neutral if they are running more than just the heating coils. It is certainly not just a "lazy electrician".

They use the neutral, one phase of 120 and ground to run a 120vac control panel or computer for the sequences. Infact my brother has an LG that is 240 for the elements, 120 for the timer controls and 12VDC for the lcd display and corresponding knob.

If it is all mechanical switches or 240vac controlls the they only use 2 phases and a ground.

electrical 101..

now who wants to troubleshoot some firealarm panels!
    yea that makes sense. I guess i am just stuck in non fancy oldschool poor mans appliance mode i guess

Originally posted by project240

would running the 10A dust collector on a 30a circuit hurt the dust collector in any way?
    nosir. doesn't work that way
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.