Dust VOIDS PS3 Warranty - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Dust VOIDS PS3 Warranty

Default Dust VOIDS PS3 Warranty

I hope this is not repost...
    Thought this was pretty interesting

<EDIT> Didnt notice the date, this is old info. i guess

Problem

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony...nty-321226.php

I have kept my 60gb PS3 in Its entertainment center since its purchase. It is known within the PS3 community that the thing is a HUGE dust magnet. I took good care of it, I have about 10 Blu-ray discs (did NOT come free with my PS3), 5 games, 5 controllers, 2 42" Bravia LCD's 1 50" Bravia 3lcd Rear projection TV, A Vaio desktop, Vaio laptop, I've even got a psp and location free TV. One day I turn it on and put in a disc and it doesn't show up, then it wont eject, finally I get it to eject and I try a blu-ray, nothing, CDs, nothing.
    I call Customer support who originally tell me that they can do anything because I don't have the original sales receipt, (it was a GIFT!!!), I stayed on the phone for hours explaining to them that I don't have thee receipt as it was a gift from my parents. Finally I got a rep who said that it was strange that earlier reps hadn't let me go through with the exchange as if it was a gift it was policy not to require a receipt. He sent me a box, I boxed up my console and sent it in.

5 days later I have no updates on the PS3, I call in to check on it, The first rep I speak to says that it was received without a receipt, and was delayed but he was going to note that it was a gift and get the replacement sent out to me.

6 hours later I get a call from Neil saying that unfortunately they have opened the case and taken pictures of the inside and outside of the case and that it was too dirty to be eligible for replacement. I paused for a good 8 seconds, because my PS3 had not moved from the entertainment center that it sat in more than 8 months I had wiped it off before sending it out, THE WHOLE POINT of the PS3 Is that it is part of your entertainment center! I Told him that was crazy and that it was a known problem that the PS3 collected mass loads of dust. That their product hasn't even been out for 1 year and he's telling me I'm out of warranty because there is too much dust in it!? I told him that someone needed to double check because I really took care of my PS3 and there was no way it was so dirty that they wouldn't replace it. He said he would and he would find out about getting pictures.

The next day I got a call from the same guy, Saying he couldn't get pictures, and there was no way they could replace the console unless I paid 150$ out-of-warranty replacement fee. I dais I needed to speak to his supervisor and it took him a while but he eventually transferred me to yet another person who just told me from the pictures they saw of the outside of the PS3, the memory ports and the USB ports, that there was dust inside of these ports, and that there was no way they would replace such a dusty console.

I then asked for HER supervisor, who was a very rude woman named Daria Woo Ext # 55682. She basically told me if I wanted the pictures of the PS3 That they were property of SCEA, And that I would have to SUBPOENA the pictures! I told her that this was ridiculous! That in order to take the same pictures that they did I would have to open my case, and void my warranty! I asked her if I could record what she was saying and she immediately snapped a NO, And asked for what purpose, I told her it was so I could educate the entire world on the ethics of the PS3 repair center. She told me my only options were to have the PS3 sent back, pay 150$ for a replacement, or leave it there for 10 days until it gets sent back. I told her to leave it because I was going to write a few emails so that this situation could actually get resolved. She told me any email I wrote or number I called would get me transferred to her department and that she would not help. I asked her exactly what part of the warranty stated that if a unit is too dusty it cannot be replaced.

She told me that it was under "acts of god, customer abuse" section when I had clearly told her that it sat in my entertainment center acting as a blu-ray playing, folding@home computing, media center and that obviously the amount of dust inside the console is caused by a design flaw and not my quite dust-less room.

I don't get it! Sony is including Folding@home with their consoles, The auto-start feature makes it so its running almost all the time, OF COURSE ITS GOING TO BE FILLED WITH DUST! A few reps said that the reason they couldn't replace it was because it looked as if it had about 2 years worth of dust in it rather than 8 months..... The console hasn't even been out a year so obviously that is less than a years worth of dust.

I love the PS3, I'm a Sony fanboy, I have a copy of Heavenly Sword Un-Played because I'm waiting for the replacement to come back, For them to say they wont replace it because it is such a damn dust magnet is absolutely ridiculous. IM NOT paying 150$ for someone to use an air compressor to dust off my PS3 re-test it and send it back. MAYBE Sony should let their customers know that excessive dust voids the warranty, so that people can start selling air filter set's for it, and air-sealed boxes for the PS3 to sit in.
    Follow Up
    http://consumerist.com/consumer/audi...nty-321288.php
    A Sony CSR admitted to reader Ive that dust should not void a Playstation 3's warranty. Transcript and audio, after the jump.

Ive: I'm calling just to pretty much clarify the PS3's warranty, if there's any clause in the warranty that makes it so that if the PS3 is too dusty that the warranty is void.
    CSR: No.

Ive: No?

CSR: No. The only way that it, um, voided is if it was neglected, um, abused, dropped or anything like, modificated like if you opened it up, modification, if you didn't have your receipt, um, any power failures like mother nature or anything like that then that actually does void the warranty. Other than that any defective PS3s or anything like that is still, um, still under the warranty.

Ive spoke to several CSRs, each of whom took a similar position until they read the account notes. Apparently, a tech determined that the fearsome dust constituted neglect and presented a threat to his health.

To his credit, the CSR handled a ridiculous situation fairly well.
    Notice how Ive uses Ron Burley's trick to stay out of trouble for recording the call. If Sony wants this to end well, they should reach out to Ive, apologize, and offer to repair his dusty PS3 for free.
    Last edited by 06civic; 01-29-2009 at 03:00 PM.

this was from 2006...

My Ride
    R50

Yeah, this is old stuff. Here's what the actual ps3 looked like... Not exactly warranty-worthy man.

SOURCE: http://www.homotron.net/2007/11/the_...rranty_co.html

I've only used my ps3 twice since i got it, that thing is dusty as fuck

what a waste of money

oh isee, sorry for old information everyone!

wow that guy even said he wiped it down before sending it.

what did he wipe it with? his cat that hes never washed?

god that is so grosssss

i agree with this. if people are too laz to clean their homes, vacuum ,have dirt everywhere, why should SONY pay for that?

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Holy jeez did that guy keep it outside on a dirt track? Like things get dusty but daaaaaymn. That is not warranty worthy.

My Ride
    Taco

My downtown condo gets crazy amounts of dust. I have to take apart my computer a few times a year to clean the inside. I assume my PS3 is the same, but I don't really want to mess with it.

Is that PS3 black or mirror coloured? If it's black that is quite a bit of dust.

Originally posted by Jeremiah
    I've only used my ps3 twice since i got it, that thing is dusty as fuck

what a waste of money
    Dude that's on you, I bought mine when the MGS 80gb Bundle first came out, and have put 100's of hours on it, and it's still shiny...

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If the console is over 1 year old you might as well open it up and dust it out. The warranty on them is only 1 year, and whether the warranty sticker is in tact or not after that time makes no difference.

I bought a used one and the first thing I did was dust it out. It wasn't all that bad when I got it, but you can't know until you open it up. Unlike the 360 the PS3 actually has big enough air holes and spacing between the fins on the heatsinks so that small amounts of dust won't totally plug air passages, but still it will reduce the cooling efficiency and help the console run cooler (i.e. keep the fan running slower... and quieter).
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome