Quantcast
RANT: RE: dog owners - nuisance barking bylaw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: RANT: RE: dog owners - nuisance barking bylaw

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Default RANT: RE: dog owners - nuisance barking bylaw

Hello fellow dog owners

Have any of you ever been accused of having a dog that barks too much? I have two pups one of which is a 5 month old Sheltie. She barks when she goes outside, but it only last for like 2 minutes and then she is fine. Please note that I am considerate and make sure that she is not out past 11 pm and not before 8 am. She is slowly improving and just recently she has not made a peep. She is outside < 45 minutes per day.

To my surprise I was sent a letter from Calgary Animal Bylaw Services stating that a formal complaint was filed from a neighbor and that continued offences would be subject to $100 fine. WTF is this shit? Even the letter states that the offence is "alleged" and that the complainant has been instructed to write down additional offences which may mean that I will be personally prosecuted in a court of law.

Un-fucking-believable!!! what is this city coming to? There are probably 8 houses that are either beside my house, behind it etc and 5 of which have dogs that bark. How can they single out my dog

It sickens me that there is some low life piece of garbage neighbor sitting at their window with a note pad and a pen and noting every time my dog barks. It pisses me off even more that the City of Calgary is harassing responsible owners on alleged claims. I pay my property taxes, i have had both my dogs spayed, microchipped AND I even licensed (STEAL TAX) both pups and yet I still get jerked around. The letter stated that I had the following options:
    1) obedience training
    2) shock collars
    3) limiting time the dog is outside
    4) de-barking the dog (i.e. go to a vet a rip out its voicebox)
    5) get some pamphlet and read books about stopping it

I can't even believe they mentioned option 4). Yes I am going to butcher my dog because it is allegedly bothering someone!!!

I can understand that their are dogs that nuisance bark and the owners don't give a shit - but I am not one of those people. What constitutes as a nuisance bark? The law states any "Bark, Growl, or Howl" which disturbes a fellow neighbor. One would deduce that dogs are wild and bark (really!). So next time you hear a dog bark, just think that you can call 311 and fine the owner $100 dollars and fuck up their day. Remember all dogs must be quiet 24 hours a day as apparently the law is in effect 24/7/365

PS i just read up on the bylaw 23M2006 which appears to be up to date and there is very little information as to what the fine is and what constitutes as nuisance barking.

To the complaintant: make sure you:
    -shovel your walk
    -stop your loud social gatherings at 11:00 pm
    -move your vehicles which have been sitting on the road > 48 hours
    -put your garbage out the day of and note the day before
    - etc etc.
    because I am watching you.

-end rant

Default Re: RANT: RE: dog owners - nuisance barking bylaw

Originally posted by canadian_hustla
    Hello fellow dog owners

Have any of you ever been accused of having a dog that barks too much? I have two pups one of which is a 5 month old Sheltie. She barks when she goes outside, but it only last for like 2 minutes and then she is fine. Please note that I am considerate and make sure that she is not out past 11 pm and not before 8 am. She is slowly improving and just recently she has not made a peep. She is outside &lt; 45 minutes per day.

To my surprise I was sent a letter from Calgary Animal Bylaw Services stating that a formal complaint was filed from a neighbor and that continued offences would be subject to $100 fine. WTF is this shit? Even the letter states that the offence is &quot;alleged&quot; and that the complainant has been instructed to write down additional offences which may mean that I will be personally prosecuted in a court of law.

Un-fucking-believable!!! what is this city coming to? There are probably 8 houses that are either beside my house, behind it etc and 5 of which have dogs that bark. How can they single out my dog

It sickens me that there is some low life piece of garbage neighbor sitting at their window with a note pad and a pen and noting every time my dog barks. It pisses me off even more that the City of Calgary is harassing responsible owners on alleged claims. I pay my property taxes, i have had both my dogs spayed, microchipped AND I even licensed (STEAL TAX) both pups and yet I still get jerked around. The letter stated that I had the following options:
    1) obedience training
    2) shock collars

I can't even believe they mentioned option 4). Yes I am going to butcher my dog because it is allegedly bothering someone!!!

I can understand that their are dogs that nuisance bark and the owners don't give a shit - but I am not one of those people. What constitutes as a nuisance bark? The law states any &quot;Bark, Growl, or Howl&quot; which disturbes a fellow neighbor. One would deduce that dogs are wild and bark (really!). So next time you hear a dog bark, just think that you can call 311 and fine the owner $100 dollars and fuck up their day. Remember all dogs must be quiet 24 hours a day as apparently the law is in effect 24/7/365

PS i just read up on the bylaw 23M2006 which appears to be up to date and there is very little information as to what the fine is and what constitutes as nuisance barking.

To the complaintant: make sure you:
    -shovel your walk
    -stop your loud social gatherings at 11:00 pm
    -move your vehicles which have been sitting on the road &gt; 48 hours
    -put your garbage out the day of and note the day before
    - etc etc.
    because I am watching you.

-end rant

I'd reply to their letter with this:

1) obedience training
    -Love to have the person who complained go through this
    2) shock collars
    -If you wear one for a week, i'll put one on my dog
    -You get 2 bathroom breaks a day... choose them wisley
    -You do this to your child, i'll do it to my dog
    -lawl!

I personally think its bogus. dogs bark, its what they do. Now i can understand to those retards who leave their dog outside ALL DAY and the dog does NOT stop barking. But letting it out a few times a day to take a leak, probably sees a dog in another yard, barks a few times, looses interest and does its business and comes back in.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

i hate neighbours like this.. i own 2 dogs myself and i've gotten complaints in the past for their barking. it seems to be the same neighbour who puts in the complaint as well, as far as i can tell. i'm SORRY for allowing my dogs their freedom to go play in the backyard for a bit during the day and to let them go to the bathroom during the night. they really can't help it when a stranger walking their own dog walks past our house and gets them excited..
    Originally posted by 5000Audi
    Btw never paid for a massage before.. i own, i mean have a wife

My Ride
    6.2L V8

the only thing that used to bother me in the city is when my neighbour would lock the dog outside for the night and the dog barks and cries like someones raping his mother for 12 hours while you're trying to sleep. there were instances where my dad actually debated getting the compound bow and ending his life altogether.

My Ride
    06 Civic DX-g

I had bylaw show up at my door with a warning one day that was pretty much identical but the fine was 365 bucks or something along that line. My dog barks when she is left out too long or when somebody passes the house. The person who complained also complained that the dog barked too much while it was in the house. I opted for the bark collar, I didn't want to go that route but due to time constraints (10 days to comply) I decided to go with it. It actually did help quite a bit, my dog still barked but it really only took her about 20 minutes to realize at what volume the collar would shock her. We used it with her for about a month and we rarely have a problem with her barking. She usually only barks outdoors when she is ready to come in and it is usually just one bark.

I found it funny though that the warning ame about 2 weeks after she scared a burglar out of our garage and when the police showed up they said she was a very convincing gaurd dog ( her bark is much worse than her bite). The police were told that night that if the guy came back the dog would be realeased to give chase and they had no problems with it. I'm thinking the burglar was a neighbor that was interested in something in my house/ garage and thought we would get rid of the dog, they were wrong.

I don't understand why your neighbors don't just come to your door and explain what is bothering them. It is a lot less childish, they're basically telling mommy and daddy on you instead.

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

"De-barking"? I didn't even know that was an actual procedure. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Originally posted by codo
    I don't understand why your neighbors don't just come to your door and explain what is bothering them. It is a lot less childish, they're basically telling mommy and daddy on you instead.
    i agree, before they call bylaw bob they should formally explain to you how they feel. but if your just letting them out for short periods of time then that is complete bullshit.

My Ride
    09 hyundai accent hatch

I have a neighbor that has a dog that barks at anything that walks by, when i go out and clean my car or whatever it will bark at me till i leave. I took a different route and talked to the owner who didnt even realise that their dog was barking. Did anyone talk to you about it or did they just complain to the city?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Default Re: Re: RANT: RE: dog owners - nuisance barking bylaw

Originally posted by 403Gemini

I'd reply to their letter with this:

1) obedience training
    -Love to have the person who complained go through this
    2) shock collars
    -If you wear one for a week, i'll put one on my dog
    -You get 2 bathroom breaks a day... choose them wisley
    -You do this to your child, i'll do it to my dog
    -lawl!

I personally think its bogus. dogs bark, its what they do. Now i can understand to those retards who leave their dog outside ALL DAY and the dog does NOT stop barking. But letting it out a few times a day to take a leak, probably sees a dog in another yard, barks a few times, looses interest and does its business and comes back in.
    I love it, and yes dogs bark get over it. Mine is not a barker and have never had one that is.
    I would totally want to know which of the neighbors it was, that should be a given. All this anonymous stuff gives people power trips. Call the by law officer over, the proof is all the other dogs in the neighborhood. I would ask any of the other owners if they got a complaint as well.
    Last edited by Kritafo; 03-05-2009 at 10:16 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by TorqueDog
    &quot;De-barking&quot;? I didn't even know that was an actual procedure. That's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of.
    Yep.

A friends, neighbors dog barks constantly for the 16 hours a day it's left outside, alone. It's owners don't pay any attention to it, don't walk it, don't play with it, nothing. When my friend finally complained to him, the owners said they were going to de-bark the dog . Seriously... how about you pay some fucking attention to your PET, instead of mutilating it???

Oh, and complaints to the city fall on deaf ears, as his neighbor is a CPS

Our dog will randomly scream like a freaking banshee if he's left outside alone when we're not home. He'll be really good for weeks, but then one day he'll just freak out. One shitty old crotchety neighbor came banging on my garage door one day to tell me he phoned the city on me, but the city wouldn't do anything.

Pissed me off, if your ready to talk to me about it anyways... why call the city first? Why not just ask ME to keep him inside, and if I tell you to fuck off, then by all means, call the Bylaw officers.

No bloody respect from this oldfart. My wife has lived in our cul-de-sac since she was born too. She KNOWS the guy, and he still had the balls to do that.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 03-05-2009 at 09:28 AM.

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

2 Minutes is a long fucking time of none stop barking. And no offence.. you might like your dog, and think his bark is cute, but it could be annoying as fuck to others.

I have 2 dogs and a cat, my mom breeds yorkies for a living.. and I would have called you in too.

Our dogs dont bark outside, and especially not for 2 minutes straight.

Note: My mom has had 3 dogs de-barked, I think its fine at least they are quiet.

I have no problem when dogs bark when they are playing, or at random shit like birds and planes, because its not a constant bark. It's when they whine, god I hate that fucking shit. A bark or two to get inside, no problem. Whining at the back door for four hours is god damn frustrating.
    If you can't leave your dog inside during the day because it wrecks shit, buy a crate and train it properly.

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

Originally posted by calgarys_finest
    I have a neighbor that has a dog that barks at anything that walks by, when i go out and clean my car or whatever it will bark at me till i leave. I took a different route and talked to the owner who didnt even realise that their dog was barking. Did anyone talk to you about it or did they just complain to the city?
    Nothing, just a letter in the mail. I am planning to go visit other homes in area that have dogs and see if they received a complaint as well.

Originally posted by Tarrantula
    2 Minutes is a long fucking time of none stop barking. And no offence.. you might like your dog, and think his bark is cute, but it could be annoying as fuck to others.

I have 2 dogs and a cat, my mom breeds yorkies for a living.. and I would have called you in too.

Our dogs dont bark outside, and especially not for 2 minutes straight.

Note: My mom has had 3 dogs de-barked, I think its fine at least they are quiet.
    I agree and it is annoying as fuck to us as well. Mind you, I would appreciate if you were to have the maturity to ring our doorbell and voice your concerns as opposed to hiding behind bullshit city bylaws. In the end I would more than willing to have some mediation and get the problem resolved.

PS - Last night i heard dogs barking at 11:30 pm, and again at 3:30 am. I should call them in as they are the real offenders here.
    Perhaps every single Calgarian should call the city and complain about a dog barking. Use up the city resources as much as possible as the whole situation is bullshit.

My Ride
    '08 Audi A6 4.2L S-line

Originally posted by canadian_hustla
    I agree and it is annoying as fuck to us as well. Mind you, I would appreciate if you were to have the maturity to ring our doorbell and voice your concerns as opposed to hiding behind bullshit city bylaws. In the end I would more than willing to have some mediation and get the problem resolved.

PS - Last night i heard dogs barking at 11:30 pm, and again at 3:30 am. I should call them in as they are the real offenders here.
    Perhaps every single Calgarian should call the city and complain about a dog barking. Use up the city resources as much as possible as the whole situation is bullshit.
    Personally I wouldnt ever call someone in.. so I understand why you are ranting..

Some people are pricks.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Holy crap people, how about this.

I am a dog owner, control your dog! Easy!

Barking dogs are as annoying as kids that are allowed to run around freely into people at the malls, in parking lots, control your fucking kids! (another rant for another day)

My dog can bark on command "speak", he can also shut up on command "quiet".

he RARELY barks, and I live in a condo. I mean, if he gets excited and we're playing, he'll bark. But when Im at home and other dogs are barking in the hall, or walking in the corridor he is silent.

Train your dog properly.

Last edited by kaput; 04-03-2019 at 07:44 PM.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Warnings about my dog's breed.

Barking. American Eskimo Dogs are often too quick to sound the alarm at every new sight and sound. You have to be equally quick to stop them. If you work all day and have close neighbors, American Eskimo Dogs are not a good choice for you. For the same reason, American Eskimo Dogs should NEVER be left outside in your yard, unsupervised. To make matters worse, some American Eskimo Dogs have intense, high-pitched barks that can set your teeth on edge.

I'm lucky each neighbour on either side and the guy directly behind me all have dogs that all bark, just mine mine more than most, especially at my neighbours. She never gets left outside for long, less than an hour total during the day and 90% of the time we are with her.

Although the barking is annoying it's crazy how it can be used for good. If a pot is about to boil over she lets us know, if something is burning, kid is trying to get into trouble she tell us.
    Last edited by jonnycat; 03-05-2009 at 10:43 AM.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Every time your dog barks and you correct it. Put it in the house go outside and make barking and howling noises as loud as you can - to show the dog what not to do of course.

Then when the next complaint comes in just tell the officer that the noise is probably not the dog but you. The irony is that people (who should know better) can pretty much make as much noise as they like in the daytime but a dog (who is driven by instincts) is not allowed to make noise.

My Ride
    Skyline

There's a decent size, black curly (kinda like an very big over grown poodle) dog that lives down the road. That dog always Runs away and comes into our yard Bark up a storm, chew the garbage bag on garbage days, does it's business in our yard while I once heard the owner Yell from down the alley "GET YOUR $&^*& ASS BACK HERE" (clearly the dog wont listen) and the dog just keeps barking at My chihuahua(even when she's sleeping inside near the window) who is scared silly of this Bigger dog that doesnt shut up. One thing if it runs away, another if it keeps crapping in our yard and everyone elses, but the worst part it has no collar, and when you approach it it takes off from the opposit direction from where it lives so I can never find out the original adress. It's easy to train a dog to not bark, I managed in no time to train my chihuahua to not bark ever!
    that's my rant...
    I feel your pain lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast