Quantcast
Information Technology diploma @ SAIT - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Information Technology diploma @ SAIT

Default Information Technology diploma @ SAIT

Hello fellow beyonders!

So I'm curious about the IT diploma offered at SAIT. Wondering if I can get some insight from those who are in it or took it already. Is this a good program to take if I'm interested in going into IT? Any pros or cons? This is something I can see myself enjoy doing cause I love computers and I like working with them so having to spend a lot of time of them is not a problem. And also what are the general job responsibilities of an IT guy? Does it involve a lot of coding? thanks

Hi there, I have graduated from the Computer Engineering Technology diploma at SAIT (which has now since evolved into the IT diploma program) I believe they have different majors to chose from now a days. I also went on to take the applied bachelors degree at SAIT after the diploma. I can highly recommend both programs, as I sit here today with my high paying job, doing very little yet interesting work I get paid to sit at home and watch TV all day while doing "remote work" and then travel the country doing networking projects while staying in 5 star hotels on the company dime. I absolutely owe all of it to that program at SAIT.

Depending on what you chose, you can be a programmer, network engineer, or just plain fix computers, what ever you are interested in. SAIT will give you a good foundation on it all.

My Ride
    assploded

Some of the courses they make you take is just ridiculous. If you can put up with the quality of the instructors it can be interesting... depending how techy/nerdy you are. Also its a total sausage fest hahaha
    Currently enrolled in it w/ a concentration on network engineering.

Blownturbo is correct, it will absolutely be a sausage fest and the odd girl that will be in your class will be nothing to write home about. There also will be some bullshit courses, but hey every program is gunna have some of those, and you may actually get a good laugh when you graduate and actually come across something you never thought you would use.

Originally posted by Blownturbo
    Some of the courses they make you take is just ridiculous. If you can put up with the quality of the instructors it can be interesting... depending how techy/nerdy you are. Also its a total sausage fest hahaha
    Currently enrolled in it w/ a concentration on network engineering.
    1st or 2nd year? If 2nd, PM me who you are.

The course load is a -LOT- more practical than when it was the CT program, that's for sure. At the job I worked over the summer I ended up using what I learned in 9/10 classes. At this point I think I'm gonna wait until I see how the world looks once I've graduated before recommending it though.
    Last edited by Mibz; 03-16-2009 at 09:39 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mibz
    1st or 2nd year? If 2nd, PM me who you are.

The course load is a -LOT- more practical than when it was the CT program, that's for sure. At the job I worked over the summer I ended up using what I learned in 9/10 classes. At this point I think I'm gonna wait until I see how the world looks once I've graduated before recommending it though.
    That's the point of SAIT. Computer Science or Engineering is pretty pointless in the work place unless you plan to work in the science community.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    That's the point of SAIT. Computer Science or Engineering is pretty pointless in the work place unless you plan to work in the science community.
    I have yet to work with any graduates from SAIT in any of the development jobs I have been involved in... Hell come to think of it most people I know who do dev work on those projects are Engineers but there are a few folks with CS degrees. Granted I typically work on mission critical or safety sensitive projects. Take computer science by all means if you want to end up being a developer and would like to work in R&D otherwise if all you want to do is IT then you are likely better served by SAIT/Devry. Doing IT with a CS degree is a waste of talent.

I graduated from the Computer Technology program at SAIT in 2000. I thought it wasn't too bad of a program. Had a few instructors that where not that great. My first job out of school was in IT Support for a small Engineering company. I didn't really use anything I learnt in school for this job. Everything I needed to know I learnt on the job.

My Ride
    1.8T

BUMP. Currently enrolled in the program, Network Systems.

Curious to if any beyonders are currently taking it?
    Or if you graduated from it, what you are currently doing?
    1994 Acura Integra LS (write off)
    1995 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SIR (sold)
    1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t (DD)

anyone get Richard Fisher?

Originally posted by GQBalla
    anyone get Richard Fisher?
    I graduated in 2012 from the Network Diploma program. I had him for two semesters. He really know his shit but he's really harsh when it comes to Midterms and Lab tests.

My Ride
    1.8T

Originally posted by 3nergiz3d

I graduated in 2012 from the Network Diploma program. I had him for two semesters. He really know his shit but he's really harsh when it comes to Midterms and Lab tests.
    Where did you end up working?
    1994 Acura Integra LS (write off)
    1995 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    1999 Honda Civic SIR (sold)
    1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8t (DD)

Originally posted by 3nergiz3d

+1. Had him for two classes and man his tests were brutal... and long. Was gonna have him for Wireless Networks but he had to take a leave of absence for personal reasons or something. Not sure if he still teaches at SAIT or not. Personally I found Richard to be bleh, he know his stuff but I find he has a hard time trying to relay what he knows to his students. Stephen Hosier was awesome.
    Last edited by temptazn; 01-10-2013 at 10:30 AM.

My Ride
    Acura EL

Originally posted by RNB11
    BUMP. Currently enrolled in the program, Network Systems.

Curious to if any beyonders are currently taking it?
    Or if you graduated from it, what you are currently doing?

Nice man. I'm enrolled for next fall semester! Pretty excited.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

The consulting company I work for hires primarily out of that program.

Be prepared to work service desk for 1-2 years after you graduate as everyone usually starts there..

Would highly recommend taking the additional two years applied bachelor. It'll open a lot of doors.

I would disagree with that. The people I know with those bachelors are working the same jobs as those who graduated with the 2 year program, they're just 2 years behind in experience.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

If you are looking to get on with one of the major ISP's the BA would be a good choice. I agree with the 1-2 years service desk. Depending on what company you get on with (size, growth, etc) it could be longer. IT seems to have this 5 yr benchmark where most companies are looking to hire for non-entry level are looking for 5+ years in the industry.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

If you guys can't get networking jobs straight out of the gate with the 2 year diploma then you're doing it wrong. Seriously, the program gives you everything you need to write your CCNP out of the door, it's your own fault if you don't do that and immediately get into an entry level networking or sysadmin position.

Thinking you need the BA to get a job with Shaw, Telus or Bell is also laughable since the two formers are the biggest farmers of entry level networking positions. Sure, if you want to get into sales engineering or something then the bachelors program will teach you some great stuff but if you want to do straight up tech work then you're not doing yourself any favours by delaying your entry into the work force.

Originally posted by Mibz
    I would disagree with that. The people I know with those bachelors are working the same jobs as those who graduated with the 2 year program, they're just 2 years behind in experience.
    It matters on the individual and how they market themselves. If folks aren't interested in taking advantage of the additional education provided during the BAIS then so be it. I found it made me a much more well rounded individual as it introduced project management, business management, leadership skills etc. Further, the vast majority of organizations I've consulted at require 4 years of education minimum as an HR policy. Why take the risk of having to go back to school to get that job you want? Same applies to promotions within an organization.

I can't stress enough that nothing guarantees you success, but, the couple extra years of education certainly helped get me to where I am now. Personal drive is a big factor as well. I know a couple dudes who took the BAIS and are completely happy doing help desk. The rest of my friends that completed the BAIS are holding some pretty good positions all related to IT security.

Disclaimer: from the network major track.
    Last edited by LOLzilla; 01-15-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast