Quantcast
What engineering companies are hiring interns? Chemical/Oil Gas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: What engineering companies are hiring interns? Chemical/Oil Gas

Default What engineering companies are hiring interns? Chemical/Oil Gas

Ive been applying at all the jobs I am eligible for through the UofC career services and also been looking at the websites of many oil companies. I am just wondering if maybe anyone could suggest other companies to try? Perhaps some lesser known/obscure companies that are also known to hire interns? Ive been sending out tons of emails, but most companies are cutting back, so it's getting tough.

Specifically looking for chemical/oil gas related engineering companies, but feel free to make any suggestions. Maybe it will be of help for the other engineers out there too

Thanks.

I know some companies looking for firmware related internships... Oil and gas is pretty grim though :\

My Ride
    06 civic ex coupe

The market is not that bad actually for Oil/Gas intern....although it may be a little late to apply for positions right now. Most companies have already hired their interns back in jan and march....

Best to check with the internship office and let them know you're still looking for one....

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    I know some companies looking for firmware related internships... Oil and gas is pretty grim though :\
    care to share some names?

pm if you like
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

If you want a big and fairly definitive list of O&G producers, find the member list on CAPP's website, it has direct links to each company's website....

You can also try the other industry association sites, like CEPA, SEPAC, CAODC, PSAC, etc.
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 03-19-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Ever since the large EPC farms have started dropping the axe the entire market is flooded.

I'm at a smaller company (~100-150 people) but we landed what will probably be one of the larger (if not largest) gas plant in Western Canada for 2009, so we're busy as fuck and looking to hire a couple more engineers.

I was shooting the shit with the president a couple of days ago and he told me he has received no fewer than 300 resumes in the past couple of weeks, and some of them are very experienced.

I would hate to be trying to get into the market right now... if you don't have an in through a family member, friend, etc, you'll definitely be swimming uphill for a while.

Just keep plugging away though, and use your network of contacts.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I think Ive sent out atleast 50 emails to the HR departments of many companies, but still the most success I've had is just with the UofC career services.

7 interviews (+ another one next week), and still no offers. I thought I had been doing pretty well at my interviews, but I guess not good enough to compete with everyone else.

For those who have had success, have you guys been doing anything "special" to stand out?

Originally posted by nobb
    7 interviews (+ another one next week), and still no offers. I thought I had been doing pretty well at my interviews, but I guess not good enough to compete with everyone else.
    Have you ever done a mock interview where you receive feedback? One of the best investments you can make IMO.

^Only did a mock one (sort of) from the engineering career center, but the guy said I was pretty much good to go. To be honest, I never really prepared for the first few interviews, since Ive never had any problems getting a job before. Im learning from my mistakes though...but of course any extra bit of advice helps.

This site helped me out a lot when looking for a job. Hope it helps!

http://www.mikelaing.com/

Chris

My Ride
    FB6

Go talk to the internship office (yes, the one everyone hates) They gave me unlisted postings from companies as well as let me apply to the postings from QueensLand University (Australia).