Quantcast
Where to buy good 35mm film camera? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to buy good 35mm film camera?

My Ride
    93 integra

Default Where to buy good 35mm film camera?

My gf's birthday is coming up and she has a nice old film camera but she doesn't have any accessories for it, ie: flash, lenses or anything.

Her parents were going to buy her a nice digital camera. She said she didn't want one since she likes taking pictures with film much more. She's also very good at taking pictures so I was kinda hoping to surprise her with a nice film camera. Doesn't matter if it's used or not just as long as it's newer than hers.

I know some people on Beyond still believe in film because someone at the Banff end of year cruise had one haha.

So let me know where I could find what I need here.

I would love to surprise her with this. It's something she'd be super happy to get. but most places only deal with digital imagery now.

My Ride
    Your Mom

Default SOL

Man I too love film cameras you can do some neat stuff with over exposerures double exposures ex.. that new digital camera struggle with. I have looked around and as far as I can find no one makes film camera anymore. They have been phased out do to the fact they are wasteful with there need for film. Your best bet check out some pawn shops unless someone on beyond have one. I saw a decent one at Cash Connection Pawn shop by the Glenmore Inn last time i was there they had a few lenses too. Give them a call before hand maybe. Or another option my buddy just bought on online from the Czech Republic also an option if you have the time.

My Ride
    93 integra

Doesn't have to be brand new...Maybe ebay???

My Ride
    a car

Looking online is the way to go. What kind of camera does she have now?

Don't worry about the cameras not being brand new. There are still new ones, but they are limited and can be quite expensive...

My Ride
    93 integra

I'd be willing to pay in the 300/500 range depending on how well my new job goes. Right now all I'd be able to afford would be in the 250 range. If I can't find one for her birthday then it'll have to be for xmas and then i can maybe get something better.

But she just had some pictures she took in Victoria developed and they are simply amazing. Just seems to have much more soul than digital pictures for some reason. Just seems like more effort and thought has to go into the picture since you can't photoshop it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by KKY
    What kind of camera does she have now?
    It would be nice not buying new lenses anymore.

Hit up Value Village, pawnshops, or PhotoWorld! (Just Google their phone number and get their new address.)

Photoworld has everything film!

My Ride
    93 integra

Thanks Flipstah. Wasn't it you that had the film camera on that beyond cruise by the way?? or no?

My Ride
    a car

$250 can get you a Canon 1n. Canon's once top of the line film SLR. Or one of the cheaper medium format SLRs.

But it's best to find out what she has now. Buy something that complements it.

If you really want new. Companies like fujifilm and voigtlander still make them. I think it would be quite difficult to find them new local though.

Or is she into the lomo stuff??

My Ride
    93 integra

lomo??? dunno? She's the one who likes this stuff not me hahaha. I'll find out what she has and what she likes.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by ekguy
    Thanks Flipstah. Wasn't it you that had the film camera on that beyond cruise by the way?? or no?
    Yeah, he's that Konica guy, what a dinosaur!

But seriously, you can absolutely buy new film cameras! Voigtlander's Bessa series is the best value in rangefinder film cameras, you can buy the Zeiss Ikon series or Leica M series if you're feeling extravagant. Nikon still makes their flagship film SLR, the F6, but also makes the FM10, their budget film alternative.

Any of these can be bought brand new online. If you're looking at used, check out KEH.com for lots of selection and a solid reputation, or any of the usual places otherwise (ebay, etc.)

My Ride
    93 integra

Thanks berserkercatsplat.

Will check those out. I'm sure I can find her something nice within my budget.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Just noticed the budget you posted, for that amount I would look for something used as new film cameras still aren't cheap (excluding that FM10). KEH has a couple of Bessa R's for $225, they'll take any M39 screw-mount lenses. $400 gets you an R3A, which takes any M-mount lens and any M39 screwmount with an adapter.

Now, that said, if you're looking for an inexpensive film camera, rangefinders probably aren't the way to go, although they are very nice cameras. A classic Nikon F3 can be had for just over $100 (and upwards, depending on condition) and the lenses will be much cheaper than the RF equivalents.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Try craiglist .. or kijiji ..

yes, I know 95% are scam .. but usually, not the case on film camera for sell.

F4/F5, EOS1 are great, but they are big and heavy ... (with grip usually)

I also suggest F100, F80, EOS 3, EOS 5 etc ..

It is funny, those older mechanical camera, still worth some money .. ( MF format, FM2, 28Ti, all kind of leica )
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

If she's really into film and she knows all her camera settings well, I say the funnest thing you can do is get her an older, all manual camera. Something with no automatic settings whatsoever, not even autofocus. IMO, a film camera with automatic settings gets boring REALLY fast and not really that fun. With a $250 budget, you wouldn't have problems getting a camera and a set of lenses if you know where to look.

And if you're not 100% committed to getting a 35mm camera, you might even want to consider a medium format Rolleicord or Yashica TLR. You shouldn't have too much problems finding one under your budget.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

I may have what your looking for....pm me for details
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    [B]

And if you're not 100% committed to getting a 35mm camera, you might even want to consider a medium format Rolleicord or Yashica TLR. You shouldn't have too much problems finding one under your budget.
    That's gotta be the best idea thus far, old TLR's are inexpensive and really unique, and take great pictures in the right hands.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Yeah, he's that Konica guy, what a dinosaur!
    Haha old school is cool man!

But yeah, there are some really cool alternatives for film cameras if you want her to try something different, such as those twin-reflex cameras or a rangefinder even.

If you're not in a rush, eBay or anywhere online is the way to go. I'd still check out PhotoWorld and don't be afraid to haggle (it's cheaper if you pay by cash. He likes cash )

My Ride
    a car

TLRs are fun. If she was in fact into lomo and wanted to stick to 35mm, I would have suggested a black bird fly.

http://www.superheadz.com/bbf/