Quantcast
Old school shave supplies.... - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Old school shave supplies....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Properly conditioning your skin is the key to good shaving.
    I shave in the shower, and I find as long as I've been in there a while, my skin doesn't get too beat up. Trying to do it at the sink, I get much more irritation.

There are some pre-shave skin conditioners, I know proraso sells one, but I just let the steam of the shower do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Properly conditioning your skin is the key to good shaving.
    I shave in the shower, and I find as long as I've been in there a while, my skin doesn't get too beat up. Trying to do it at the sink, I get much more irritation.

There are some pre-shave skin conditioners, I know proraso sells one, but I just let the steam of the shower do it for me.
    Ever since I moved I haven't had a mirror in the shower so have been shaving at the sink and it's just shit compared to shaving in the shower.
    -U

Anyone know of a really good anti-fog mirror for the shower? Seems to make more sense shaving in the shower, especially to save time, but I don't want to be blind haha.

I use the proraso preshave and like it. Typically what I'll do is fill my scuttle and put my brush in to soak then apply the preshave and hop in the shower. I wash my face last to give the steam and preshave a chance to soften the hair up and I'll shave right after I get out of the shower. This has worked well for me and as long as I'm careful I don't cut myself.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I use an el cheapo suction cup fog free mirror from ebay. The coating on it is crap, but what I do now is a bit of soap lather on my hands, wipe it across the mirror when I'm soaping the rest of me, then it slide off a bit while I rinse, and it's fog-free while I'm shaving. Cheap and easy.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hatred

I use an el cheapo suction cup fog free mirror from ebay. The coating on it is crap, but what I do now is a bit of soap lather on my hands, wipe it across the mirror when I'm soaping the rest of me, then it slide off a bit while I rinse, and it's fog-free while I'm shaving. Cheap and easy.
    Pretty much the same process I use. I have a sweet mirror I picked up from Target I have to install one of these days still.
    -U

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Str1der
    Just dry it properly and oil it afterward. Should be fine. All of my straights are carbon and while they may develop a patina over time, it doesn't negatively impact the steel.
    Followed your advice and bought oil at Knifewear. The kamisori is good now.

I also got new soap by D.R. Harris. WAY easier to build a lather than Geo F Trumper.

I'd recommend the Arlington scent!

I have a couple of refills of Mitchell's Wool Fat for sale http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=374146
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone have advice for a brush that is a bit stiffer? I really like the feel of the bristles. I find I end up holding my hand part way down the bristles to stiffen it.

I have both a decent badger brush and a cheapo drugstore wilkinson sword brush, and both work fine to get a good lather, just both are too soft.

Try a 2 band super badger brush. The 2 band is stiffer than the 3 band, but they both have really soft tips. I like Simpsons brushes, I have a couple of their 2 bands and really like them. I found 3 bands were too dense and hogged the lather. Their best badger is also a nice choice for dense scrubbiness.

Or you can also try a boar, stiffer but tend to be a bit scritchy as well
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Picked up 100 DE Astra blades from Fendrihan for $14!! Thats enough blades to last me over 2 years! Not liking the new Proraso Blue formula though. The scent is kinda weird.

Also scored a WWII era Gillete Fatboy Tech razor for $15.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    Upass

I forgot my Gillette slim adjustable at the hotel. It was my first and only double edged safety razor and I liked it a lot but my experience is limited.

What is the closest new razor I can buy to this one? Budget is up to $100 but ideally I would like to spend less than that. I think I might just buy another vintage gillette off ebay. Is there something you guys would recommend that's a bit more "advanced" than the old gillettes? Usually just set it at 3-5, but my new one must have a butterfly top.

Had the thing for 3 years and now I am using cheap old gillettes disposables for now (only thing I can find with the least amount of blades to reduce ingrown's) until I get my next new DE Razor. I know mercur's get good reviews, but I can't seem to find one with the butterfly mechanism, unless I am not looking hard enough. Only looked at fendrihan because I don't know where else you can buy these things.
    Last edited by Nav13; 11-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

If it *must* be a butterfly top two options for new razors are Parker and Merkur Future. The Parker will be much cheaper at $33, where as the Merkur is $92. Ive never used a Parker so im not sure how they will compare to a vintage Gillete. The Gillete's have always been the go to TTO razor though, so if your into vintage one of those might be the best bet.

I have a Muhle R89 (similair to Edwin Jagger DE89) and I love it! Currently my favorite DE razor. Not a terrible price at $89. Its a three piece razor though. The other one thats normally recommended is the Merkur 34C.

Parker Butterfly:http://www.fendrihan.com/parker-barb...ng-p-1360.html

Merkur Future: http://www.fendrihan.com/merkur-futu...Path=116_117_8

My Ride
    Upass

^^^ Thanks, I think I am just going to get another Gillette, I think they got it right back in the day.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

So far I like the Gillete Tech I just picked up. Really mild compared to the Muhle though. Im gonna try it with a Feather blade see if that helps. Overall they are fantastic razors.

My Ride
    Upass

I know I said I was going to buy a vintage gillette again, but I really didn't want to bother with finding a mint one on on ebay that wasn't over priced and then cleaning and sanitizing it as well, so after your recommendation of the Muhle R89 (which I was very close to buying) I started looking at Edwin Jaggers as well. I stumbled upon this one and just placed my order.

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany....alwaysSearch=1

All in it came out to ~$65 CAD before tax/duty(shipping from England) which I think is pretty good considering Fendrihan is selling it for ~$110 with shipping. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Originally posted by DEATH2000
    So far I like the Gillete Tech I just picked up. Really mild compared to the Muhle though. Im gonna try it with a Feather blade see if that helps. Overall they are fantastic razors.
    Hard to imagine a razor milder than the R89/DE89.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

Was looking up how to avoid irritation while shaving an ended up here. Done a bunch of reading up on the whole DE razor experience and I think I'd like to take the plunge

Looking at this set to start: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B...A3DE8YF1XI4FTN

Anybody deal with Parker? Also taking everyone's advice on the Derby blades and Proraso soaps as well.

Anything else I should consider?
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

I picked up a brush, shaving soap, and shaving cream on Amazon.ca - I use my soap to make a nice lather, then mix the cream in to make a super lather. It's insane how much better my shaves are.

Just using a Mach 5 for now...BUT... come Christmas day, I'll be using a straight razor. If nobody hears from me after then, I likely hit my carotid artery.

Anyone have advice for a brush that is a bit stiffer? I really like the feel of the bristles. I find I end up holding my hand part way down the bristles to stiffen it.

I have both a decent badger brush and a cheapo drugstore wilkinson sword brush, and both work fine to get a good lather, just both are too soft.
    I feel your pain. Like you said, a good lather is possible, but you're holding the brush halfway down in this awkward, messy way. How badass would it be to get an HD video of yourself made getting your brush/bowl out, loading the brush, making your lather (and superlather if you dare), applying it, and shaving with a straight-razor? I'm tempted to do it so I can randomly watch it when my man-card is feeling neglected.

http://www.amazon.com/Vie-Long-12601...owViewpoints=1 Out of stock, but what you're looking for I believe.

And

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progress-Vul...-/271015818755 I read these are more stiff, but have no background/experience with them. Read some good reviews.
    Last edited by Env-Consultant; 12-22-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast