Quantcast
LF: Farm hand - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: LF: Farm hand

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Arrow LF: Farm hand

Hey guys, like the title says, we're in need of a farm hand. This is for our farm in Southern Sask. Its a decent sized farm, so it needs to be at least a two person operation. Its located 1hr SE of Swift Current.
    Unfortunately, due to career obligations I cant take the spring, summer and fall off, for at least this year.
    So I basically need someone to fill in for me to replace me, as you'll be working with/for my dad.

Its STRICTLY a seed farm (so wheat, canola, that sort of thing), no animals/livestock at all, which also means we dont bother with hay, or deal in anything that would somehow inter-relate to livestock... The only "animal" we have is my dads cat that he has out there. We have about 4500 acres of farmland, so its a good size.

This will be a job from lets say early April to November this year, give or take a couple weeks here or there for the start or the end of the season.

Job duties will be.
    - Fix, load, maintain and operate equipment, Which means filling the the seeding rig up with fertilizer, & seed. Greasing it up every morning as per the maintenance schedule, then operating it out in the fields (which he can train you on). Then after all the seeding is done, daily operations as needed until harvest in the fall. My dads a great teacher, so I dont expect anybody to have experience, just have a great attitude, great work ethic and be willing to learn. Everything above and beyond that can and will be taught to you.

- Getting fuel, helping out with various things in and around the farm, such as getting parts, groceries and general repair of the equipment as needed. Being there to help fill and operate equipment, and if you can cook? some cooking too.

So I need someone that has mechanical skill, as we have quite a bit of equipment, sometimes it breaks down, so I need someone with at least a working level of knowledge for fixing equipment as needed. Dont worry about fab/welding work, as my dad can do all that himself.
    Even just automotive mechanical experience would go a long ways, as you'd have the know-how as to how things should be removed, go back together and so on. If you have that theory down, then heavy duty mechanics are a different ball game, but use much the same basics that'll still apply.

Pay? depends on what you bring to the table. Skills, work ethic.. so on. Any good candidate will make $2500/month++ (tax free) or more, but its tough for me to throw out some numbers since I have no idea who'll be reading this.
    But keep in mind, when you're out there you'll have no living expenses, room, board, food, gas is all paid for. So thats $2500/month (at least) that'll go RIGHT into your back pocket. So thats a pretty damn good gig if you think about it. If you have a place here that you want to keep, you can always rent it out since you wont be there, then tack that rental money on top of what you'll be getting paid. Keep in mind, since this is off the books pay, any EI or otherwise income wont come up any dual income issues with this.

All in all its a pretty good gig, no boss, no traffic, no commute, its pretty relaxed. I quite enjoy being out there, as its a HUGE break from the typical job world of Calgary, but I REALLY need to go to school to become a Millwright, so I cant do it this time around.

Anyway, thats the basics of it, PM me for those that are interested, we'll exchange numbers and we can go for beers/supper/coffee or whatever and talk about it a lot further.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 03-18-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"