Quantcast
Whats better and more cost efficient when getting a new intercooler - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Whats better and more cost efficient when getting a new intercooler

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Whats better and more cost efficient when getting a new intercooler

Im lookign into getting a new intercooler, problem is the kits that are available for the mr2 are small as hell and pretty pricey...has anyone here ever built an intercooler and purchased the end tanks and core seperatley...does it come out cheaper and just as good if not better in the end?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    E36 4dr

It all depends on the setup that you are running. There should be a couple of places around town that can build you up something, just give them the dimensions you want for your intercooler and get them to quote you something.

Keep in mind that custom is not always the better way to go cos the size of an intercooler/ amount of plumbing/ flow characteristics of intercooler can be advantageous or detrimental to your engine size/ setup.

My Ride

Originally posted by MrX
    It all depends on the setup that you are running. There should be a couple of places around town that can build you up something, just give them the dimensions you want for your intercooler and get them to quote you something.

Keep in mind that custom is not always the better way to go cos the size of an intercooler/ amount of plumbing/ flow characteristics of intercooler can be advantageous or detrimental to your engine size/ setup.
    in theorie if I retain the same amount of plumbing (mayeb larger diameter piping), but an aftermarkte core (apexi) of similar size..woudl this not be an improvement
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    E36 4dr

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

in theorie if I retain the same amount of plumbing (mayeb larger diameter piping), but an aftermarkte core (apexi) of similar size..woudl this not be an improvement
    yep that would be an improvement..you would have better flow into the intercooler from the larger piping, and the apexi intercooler would be much improved over stock. What i was refering to previously was being careful when choosing a core. Improper core choice could have adverse effects on performance.

My Ride

Originally posted by MrX

yep that would be an improvement..you would have better flow into the intercooler from the larger piping, and the apexi intercooler would be much improved over stock. What i was refering to previously was being careful when choosing a core. Improper core choice could have adverse effects on performance.
    now most mr2 aftermarkte intercoolers are very thick...i coudl find an apexi one with the right width and height but not as thick ..is it even worth doing if its not as thick .?sorry about all these ?'s I just don't know much about the composition of an intercooler

Red Deer, AB

surface area is more important than thickness
    i think
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

k i wrote that before leaving from work
    the thickness difference may just be because of a different design all together, so u can;t really say that would have any effect on the efficiency.....
    the reason i say S.A is more important than thickness is because the point of the intercooler is to cool air, and the more surface area that is exposed, allows for more air to cool

mr2 intercoolers are usually small anyways....

i think custom work would be fine on the piping as long as it is done properly and looks quality....not some junkyard job
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride

dont worry the mr2 isnt about junkyard stylez....thansk for the info Ill et you know the results...

Red Deer, AB

Talk to mau dude.
    He built his brother a trunk mount with the XS engineering GTR core.

My Ride

Originally posted by Joe Malms
    Talk to mau dude.
    He built his brother a trunk mount with the XS engineering GTR core.
    ya man I totally will..thanks..

Red Deer, AB