Quantcast
how to deal with condo townhouse neighbour? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to deal with condo townhouse neighbour?

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default how to deal with condo townhouse neighbour?

We live in a townhouse condo.

Last year the condo board approved the use and installation of "approved" window air conditioners. great. my neighbour goes out and buys a behemoth and installs it in his bedroom window a few feet away from our bedroom window. This thing is so loud that i can't sleep well and my wife had to sleep on the sofa downstairs.

He also owns an older diesel truck which he always backs into his driveway and his exhaust blows into our unit and gasses us. I've talked to him about it and he's been ok with not idling his truck, but lately it seems like he's reverting back to his old ways.

What would be the best recourse? Can the condo board do anything about the AC?
    Tim

He won't be changing his AC unit without being forced to by the condo board, if they CAN do anything about it. Maybe jam a few random objects into it? LOL

You shouldn't have to worry about the A/C for a while in another month or so. Maybe you can ask him if he can avoid running it after 11pm or whatever time you go to bed, he should be able to cool his place down a reasonable amount by then.

The first thing to do is talk to him. If after speaking to him, it doesnt change, then take it to the board.

You can ask them to send you the list of approved air conditioners and make sure his is on the list.

As far as the truck goes, there is one by-law in every set that says something along the lines of: If another person is disrupting the quality of life for another... blah blah blah. This is a blanket bylaw that allows discretion on the boards behalf. Find that section in your by-laws and quote it to the condo management co and ask them to send it to the board. They have to at the very least follow up with the other owner. It also helps if you can keep times and dates (as ignorant and intrusive as that may sound) that he was causing a nuisance.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

dannie is right.

The bottom line here OP is that you need to talk to your management company, and see what the bylaws are involving both issues. Most bylaws are fairly vague and broad to ensure that they encompass most issues.

For example: Your neighbor's AC might have been approved, but it might violate noise bylaws (OR municipal laws) by being run after a certain time.

Talk to your management company, and explain your concerns.

If they do not help you out, and you own your condo, you are entitled to ask for a copy of the bylaws. You can then read through them, and write a letter to the management company, asking for him to stop his _____ action, as it is breaking ______ bylaw.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Here's an easy solution. Buy an air conditioner yourself?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    Maybe you can ask him if he can avoid running it after 11pm or whatever time you go to bed, he should be able to cool his place down a reasonable amount by then.
    LMAO...the guy pays good money for a good AC and you think he's not gonna run it at night on hot days, just so someone ELSE can sleep?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

^Correct, that's what living in a society is all about. And if an A/C is loud enough to keep the neighbors awake, it's not a good A/C. If he bought a noisy, used clunker for $30, he did not pay good money.

I agree with the others, talk to him, then table your concerns with the board.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

LMAO...the guy pays good money for a good AC and you think he's not gonna run it at night on hot days, just so someone ELSE can sleep?
    I have an A/C but I rarely run it at night. Why? Because it cools down nicely most nights in Calgary. If you've run it for a few hours in the evening (perhaps 6pm - 10pm), then the house stays cool enough throughout the night, with just a window or two open. Its not like A/C's are cheap on electricity, so most people like to run them the least amount of time possible, as oppose to 24/7.

Even if it doesn't work it seems like an easy thing to try before having to get and read bylaws, write letters, etc. If it doesn't work, you've really lost nothing and can move on to another approach.
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 07-29-2009 at 03:15 PM.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Does he smoke on his balcony and make your house stink?

My Ride
    Audi 5000 QT

his A/C goes into his bedroom..and runs all night.. how friggin cold does he need his room.. i did this years ago and after about an hour my room was effing to cold to sleep in.. so id take it to the condo board..make him at least move it to another location in the house

www.boostedalberta.com
    =[[Beyonds Dirtiest Daily Driver]]=
    Originally posted by dj_rice
    OOP or whatever that Out of Province Inspection is called

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by theken
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

You should start bbqing right outside his window, so it sucks the smell of your meat into his place.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by Alterac
    You should start bbqing right outside his window, so it sucks the smell of your meat into his place.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Alterac
    Sounds like an effective way of dealing with this situation!

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Talk to him about it, then go to the board.
    Originally posted by theken
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

I would put an AC in your window and have it on at night.
    Insurance Pro

I absolutely hate living in my complex...

At one point it was a semi-reasonable set neighbors, but as with the churn and units turning to rental, all respect and conciderations for anyone is lost.

We have people who smoke on their doorsteps, which does funnel into other's open windows.

We have people who have parties in the common area, often going past 11, being shutdown by cops on several occations. Mind you the same people getting the same damned warnings.

We have people parking their vehicles in visitors parking, as its not enforced... same deal, renter with his full ton rusty work truck, and his jeep in the visitors parking, and his new STI in his own spot.

Garbage is the worst, as when people leave, they just toss everything in front of the garage door, or on the floor... I mean how hard would it be to put the bags into the bins...

Unfortunately we don't have garages in my complex, and we have the most ignorant neighbor, who happens to have a family and a 80g SUV. They have full family everything, which includes a whole set of bikes for the whole family, piled rustily in the back common area beside my place, a spare stroller, 2 sets of tires amongst other things. Let alone the fact that you shouldn't be raising 3 screaming kids in a 1000sqft townhome with 2 bedrooms.

There are at least 2 new Mexican families who moved in (renting) , and not to be racist, but it is relevant, as there are close to 10-12 people living in a 2 bedroom unit!

God damnit, sounds like Dover, but its I live in freaking Evergreen.

p.s. living by Point of View complexes are the worst, as they don't even make enough provisions for parking.

My Ride
    a couple S/C'd V8's

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    p.s. living by Point of View complexes are the worst, as they don't even make enough provisions for parking.
    Must be across the street on Eversyde Ave. There's never any street parking left unless its 9am-3pm. I knew that would be the case and thats why I bought an extra stall. I love how the street is "just" wide enough... whenever 2 minivans or 1 large truck and a car meet its always a close call. I've seen many side mirrors dangling on that street.

/end off topic.

My Ride
    99 Civic SI

Originally posted by r3ccOs

There are at least 2 new Mexican families who moved in (renting) , and not to be racist, but it is relevant, as there are close to 10-12 people living in a 2 bedroom unit!

reminds me a story from when my parents had a rental unit. Rented it to a nice asian couple, honestly wouldn't have thought a thing about them. Did a walk-through one day, house looked normal enough but when they were upstairs they heard shuffling around above them so they went to check out the attic. Found 10 asians in the attic.. turns out they had the whole extended family living with them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast