Quantcast
calgary festivals? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: calgary festivals?

Default calgary festivals?

Does anyone know any sweet festivals coming up in calgary? I had a list saved up somewhere but lost it. Would be nice to get out and enjoy the weather in a festival!

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

There's one happening this week I believe. Can't remember the name though. Anyone care to help me out?

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by badatusrnames
    There's one happening this week I believe. Can't remember the name though. Anyone care to help me out?
    Yeah, it's the Calgary whatchamacallit. Hmm, the name escapes me. The one with the hats, and the food!

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Benny

Yeah, it's the Calgary whatchamacallit. Hmm, the name escapes me. The one with the hats, and the food!
    Is it worth coming down from Edmonton for? I don't want to waste my gas for some shitty, half-assed festival.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by badatusrnames
    Folk Festival?

Errr... The Stampede is coming right up... If you go early Sun morning, it's free admission.

I believe Mac's is offering two special packages... $35 for 55 ride tickets and a two admissions for one price package sorta deal... I forget what the price for that was though...

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

^^ Not anymore, it's past July 2nd. I'm sure there are people who are selling though. Just gotta look around in the Marketplace later on or Kijiji, etc.

Ahhh yes sorry, you're right. The $35 for 55 tickets deal is over but the 2 for 1 admission deal is still on until July 12th. I checked, it's $22 for 2 admissions which is pretty good, regular admission at the gate is $14 for an adult...

As for other festivals... Errr... GlobalFest (fireworks competition) is coming up in August, I think you can get tickets from Co-Op... And then umm... A Taste of Calgary in late August... And Salsa Festival sometime later, I think in late July...

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Folk Festival?
    No, I'm pretty sure that's not the one... it's just on the tip of my tongue though.

Hey has anyone gone to GlobalFest before? They have several events according to their website like fireworks competitions, filmfest and oneworld festival.

Is anything in particular to check out or simply pick the day(s) of the fireworks you want to see and check out the rest of the of it while you are there?

Any experiences? worth going or a waste of time?

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by w_man
    Hey has anyone gone to GlobalFest before? They have several events according to their website like fireworks competitions, filmfest and oneworld festival.

Is anything in particular to check out or simply pick the day(s) of the fireworks you want to see and check out the rest of the of it while you are there?

Any experiences? worth going or a waste of time?
    I'd like to know too! Will it be really crowded on the final day (Aug 29th)? How is parking in the area?

Hey guys! I've been to Global Fest a few times now and I think it's alright... It's basically a fireworks competition and each night one country performs. It takes place at this huge park with a pond and when it's dark enough, around 9-9:30pm (I forgot the exact time of when it starts), the fireworks go off and it's timed according to the music they play. The fireworks don't last for too long and I don't think there's really much to see... It's a neat exp if you like fireworks... As for crowdedness, it's alright... Lots of ppl go but you can still find a spot to stand or sit to watch... There're also shuttle buses that can take you to the place, I don't suggest you drive, it gets hectic when ppl are trying to leave, not many parking spaces as well... From what I know, some ppl park in residential areas and watch from outside the gates... I get my tickets from Co-Op but I think you can also get them online...

And that's about it, enjoy!

Btw, I heard Taste of Calgary got moved to this coming weekend. Chinatown's Street Festival is also this Sat but it sucks so I don't recommend it...

P.S. Filmfest is ok, my friend got tickets for me so I have no clue where she got them from.. It's just like watching another movie at a cinema but more expensive.. As for the final day of Global Fest, I heard it wasn't as good...

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

I live right by Globalfest, it's pretty good if you haven't seen any good fireworks before. That is, compared to the Stampede fireworks of yesteryear, they're awesome. Stampede's catching up though from what I hear...

I'm not sure I would advise going in to Elliston Park to watch it though. It's right by a landfill, and sometimes the smell comes up through the water or perhaps from the wind (which it did when I went, maybe I just got unlucky). So, I prefer to watch from 52nd Street or just my house. Save a few $$$ that way too

I've never seen the other events during Globalfest. I assume most people go for the fireworks.