Quantcast
Leasing apartment through craigslist/kijiji. Advice? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Leasing apartment through craigslist/kijiji. Advice?

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Default Leasing apartment through craigslist/kijiji. Advice?

hi guys.

I found a job in Edm so I'm looking to lease an apartment. I'm looking through craigslist and kijiji right now.

I have never rented before, is there anything I should know or look out for? do ppl try to scam you on apartment rental?

Many thanks!

Just go look at it in person and go from there, your not actually renting through kijiji.

My Ride

Yeh for sure I'm going to check it out in person before renting it, but I'm in Calgary right now so I'm only looking at the ads.. just wondering if there is anything i should look out for.

Ive been looking for a place to rent for a couple months now and ive checked out a few places from kijiji and none of them have been scams or anything. But thats not saying that there are none out there, I guess the only advice I can give is if it seems too fishy or too good to be true don't bother with it, and ask lots of questions since you don't want to drive up there for no reason.

Ask for pictures... and as many as they can send... just so you can have a good idea of what the place looks like...

Would suck to go up to Edmonton to check out a place and it turns out to be a dump.

I wouldn't worry about being scammed... the usual tactics of the scammers out there are to hit up the landlords listing the place and offer to rent it, send a bad money order and so on.

I list my rentals on Kijiji all the time... never a problem.

My Ride

never mind. i think the scams are easy to spot

" Hello,
    I am James Osborne. I am looking for a responsible person that will take good care of the apartment am not after the money for the rent but want the aparment to be properly taken care of. Am presently in Nigeria enjoying my stay here and doing my daily activities of spreading the kingdom and am with the keys of the apartment, I tried to look for an agent that i can give the documents before leaving for Nigeria but could not see a responsible agent and i dont want the apartment to be in an unsecured hand during my absence that is why i took the keys along with me down here.

I hope you will promise to take very good care of the apatment once you moved and i hope you are okay with the price of 600 CAD for the monthly rent of the apartment. The apartment is furnished and i look forward to hearing from you asap so that i can forward you an application to fill and discuss on how to get the apartment rent, also let me know how long you are willing to stay. Please get back to me for pics and address of the apartment

Await your reply.
    Thanks and God Bless
    James Osborne
    "

My Ride

scams everywhere

" I got your mail in regards to my apartment for rent,And am so sorry for late responds to you,so what really happened is this,Am not given my apartment for rent just because of money but due to my transfer to west Africa.Am an X-RAY WELDER UNDER SHIP BUILDING,I have been working with nasco ship building here in country,you can view the site at WWW.NASCO.COM But have just been transfered to Niger dock Nigeria plc,you can also view site at WWW.NIGERDOCK.COM. I left country with hope that i will be coming back in a month's time,but right now the company have ask me to stay for 2yrs under contract with them,that is why i have made up my mind to put up my apartment for rent ,but i will like you to keep the apartment for me well okay just like yours.ok,and i want to let you know that the apartment its available For rent anytime,and you can easily go there and check it,but the problem it's that you will not be able to check inside of the apartment,so through the address you will provide for me i will used to send you the key and the document to you through DHL COURIER SERVICE and It will be home delivery, and i appreciate your expression,and the apartment include cable /internet access,Furnished, Central Air Conditioning, Laundry, Garbage Chute, Pets OK, cleaning service, dry cleaning,Heating, Electricity,etc and everything its already been furnished,"

If you wanna have some real fun with this. Tell the scammers you are seriously interested in the apartments and would like the application. They'll send you an application and ask for a deposit.

but then tell them you need $50 to send the application to them. I shit you not they'll send you $50 thinking you'll send them more money. There is a site where they scam scammers. People always just donate the money they get to charity when they do this.

In some cases I've heard of people scamming thousands of dollars out of these fools.