Quantcast
Recommend detailer and painter - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Recommend detailer and painter

Wink Help a girl out please!:)

Hello, I am from Fort McMurray and if anyone has been here before you know you get raped in prices for anything and everything. What I need help with is that I am trying to find the best place in Calgary for my bf to get his truck detailed and a new paint job. He has a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and he went for a quote here. It was looking about a $9000+ job. The guy here said that the paint from the dealership was too soft and that is why it is so bad and that he should take it back to the dealership. My bf does not think that they will do anything at the dealership because (sorry bear with me I am not good at listening to details) he is over the warranty for km?

So my questions are: Do you think the dealership would help, is it worth trying?

What is the best/least expensive place to get it detailed and painted? Also, is there a long wait list?

I really want to suprise him.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by coco_k; 09-02-2009 at 09:43 AM.

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I doubt you need it repainted. A good detail will do wonders.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm way less "me" than people give me discredit for.

Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use before posting again, or risk getting banned).

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I doubt you need it repainted. A good detail will do wonders.
    I agree, a good cut/poilish should do it on a 2008 car, a repaint sounds ridiculous for a car which is only two years old.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i dont recall any dealership that had rock chips on the warranty agreement, if that is the problem. i would suspect the roads up north are as shitty as the ones here in winter with the gravel and salt. try a detail first as said above, see if that helps first.

3m would've helped or is the paint just crappy overall? that i would take up with the dealer for sure, also why go all the way down here, edmonton would probably be the same quality as shops here.

My Ride
    04 wrx stage 1

I do body work on weekends for cash

My Ride
    charger R/T w R&T, soon 2010 camaro

lolz @ everyone response getting deleted

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

what the heck did you guys type lol?

Can you give us more information as to why you both feel it needs a full respray?

well right now it has rust spots, etc. When he took it up to a guy here they said that the paint was too soft, it can be scratched with a fingernail, and that it was probably to do with the dealership. The guy at the place said he should get it repainted. To me I do not even notice the spots until he points it out, but its his truck

Also I want to get it steam cleaned and get the interior done for him because I spilled pop and my neice got sick....

thanks

My Ride
    has three pedals.

lmao man all the deleted comments

I was gonna say, get this much help from beyond. Weird, you mentioned you had a BF.

on the rust spots are they just where the rock chips are? cause i think toyota cars come with corrosion protection against rust. which would mean its a manufacturer defect. but if the rust is where the rock chips are i dont think that counts.
    computers are like whores. moody bitches that cost too much and no matter how much protection you have you can still get a virus

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

if the rust is not from rock chips I believe there is something like a 10 year warranty from the factory against perforation and so on.

If it's rock chips all you can do when they happen is touch them up or see small rust spots later on

My Ride
    1999 Acura Integra SE

A lot of car companies have "unlimited kilometers" for rust and perforation protection. They just have a time limit, so if he is within that time frame, I would get it checked out.

You could be covered, who knows. Its worth a try...the worst thing the dealership could say is no.

My Ride
    16 RDX

In 2005, Toyota developed a new water based paint system to reduce VOCs and CO2 produced in the painting process.

Many automotive manufacturers are rolling out cars with softer paint these days (except Mercedes, BMW, and a couple of others). The dealership has nothing to do with this, and will be unable to help with that specific issue.

Water based paints are generally quite soft. Modern Toyotas (And Lexuses) have relatively soft clear coats. That being said, you can scratch ANY car's paint with a finger nail, even the ones with really hard paint like Corvettes & Ferraris.

If the rust spots you are describing are very very small, and the vehicle is a light colour, and they are entirely on the surface, then it is likely embedded rail dust or other metallic contamination that is rusting on the surface of the paint. This can be resolved with a good claying and polish, which a competent detailer can do.

On the other hand, if the rust is forming on the actual bodywork, and penetrating the paint, or there are areas of paint missing with exposed body & rust, then this is a very serious issue, and the dealership should accept responsibility and have the problem corrected. This sort of thing is generally warranteed against for 5 to 10 years, depending on the manufacturer. If this is the case, and they're unwilling to help, contact Toyota Canada's head office with your concerns at

1-888-TOYOTA-8
    or 1-888-869-6828
    Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm EST

Please consider a repaint as an absolute last option. Factory paint is generally much higher quality and much more durable than what most body shops use to repaint the vehicle. Also remember to add the cost of depreciation from having a repainted vehicle to your cost of repainting. Even a vehicle repainted very well can depreciate severely in value - a bad paint job can ruin it.

As someone else mentioned, 3M Paint protection film highly recommended in a situation such as this to protect the front end from being chewed up by gravel & road debris.

Please pm me if you'd like to discuss your specific problem. Best of luck either way.

Last edited by J NRG; 10-21-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Beyond
    belief
    reason
    but not beyond puberty.