Quantcast
Mens hockey league thread (NCHL, CAHL, HNA, etc) - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Mens hockey league thread (NCHL, CAHL, HNA, etc)

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Originally posted by Sorath
    imo paying extra for home ice prime time is a waste of money, im on 3 different teams and we all paid for home ice prime time and we never got our schedule. in fact majority of our games are 11.30

oh yeah

i took that screenshot and sent it to shadowz, that is one of my 3 teams schedule. i have another one thats similar. 8/30 games at springbank.

other team its 7/30 at springbank, most of these are after 10.30 start.

last one is 9/30 games between chestermere and okotoks all are after 10.30 start except for 2

5 games at coral at $17/parking lol

Originally posted by Nickerjones

Nickerjones Comments
    That's fine but as quoted up above yes they did pay on top for the home prem. But as you can see from the several posters above, there is the common issue of ice times. And even when the teams do pay the additional, it cannot be guaranteed and refunds need to be issued. That is all that I was trying to get across. Again I am not here to argue with you which league is better or not, just stating what had happened and what me and my team would like to avoid
    Last edited by shadowz; 11-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

Originally posted by interlude

I would strongly urge whoever is planning on joining the NCHL to reconsider. We need better leagues around Calgary to squeeze out leagues like NCHL and HNA.
    First I'm not attacking anyone. I am just debating. Because we are on a computer it might come off as standoff-ish but that really isn't my intent. So in light of that...

I'm all for personal opinions so here is mine. Start one. My advice is to start one yourself, since you seem to think it can be done better.

I just moved from Oklahoma and I ran a really small league there. It's not easy. I don't even want to think of how tough it is to run one where there isn't that much ice available and on the size scale of a couple of the leagues around Calgary.

I really think it's just in people's nature to complain. The OKC league would complain about late games and all the games started at 845pm on a Wed night.

I don't think there is a perfect league. I have looked and talked to owners of most of the Calgary ones and since I know you're not going to start one yourself because it's harder than sitting around griping about it. What is something all leagues , mainly the two mentioned, can do to get better?

If you're only complaint is ice time then your answer would be nothing because ice time is what is there and that's all. Even if another league comes in, what ice times are they going to buy to run games? If there was anything regularly available don't you think one of the leagues here would already have it?

First I'm not attacking anyone. I am just debating. Because we are on a computer it might come off as standoff-ish but that really isn't my intent. So in light of that...

I'm all for personal opinions so here is mine. Start one. My advice is to start one yourself, since you seem to think it can be done better.

I just moved from Oklahoma and I ran a really small league there. It's not easy. I don't even want to think of how tough it is to run one where there isn't that much ice available and on the size scale of a couple of the leagues around Calgary.

I really think it's just in people's nature to complain. The OKC league would complain about late games and all the games started at 845pm on a Wed night.

I don't think there is a perfect league. I have looked and talked to owners of most of the Calgary ones and since I know you're not going to start one yourself because it's harder than sitting around griping about it. What is something all leagues , mainly the two mentioned, can do to get better?

If you're only complaint is ice time then your answer would be nothing because ice time is what is there and that's all. Even if another league comes in, what ice times are they going to buy to run games? If there was anything regularly available don't you think one of the leagues here would already have it?
    My complaint is not just the ice times. Its the way they run the league, its the combination of ice times, management and ethics. If you really want me to list their dirty laundry on beyond.. I can. If you want me to tell you personally, PM me.

Originally posted by shadowz
    [B]

And even when the teams do pay the additional, it cannot be guaranteed and refunds need to be issued. That is all that I was trying to get across.
    I agree completely ... refunds should be issued in that case. The way I understand how it works is teams all have a person/rep that takes care of their teams. I would mention that to their GM reps until it gets done.

Like I said I am just a friend of the league. I don't have much to do here except play hockey so hell.... message me and I'll say something to them about refunds. It never hurts to try.

My Ride
    Ram

I also wasn't griping about anything. You made a statement and compared ice times by saying something about the WRAHL. I hear this about a lot of leagues, I was bored, so I decided to go to the NCHL schedule and lay it out.

Did your friend's team pay for prime time schedule? My guess is No. I'm not putting words in your mouth. I just went through the schedule for November. There were 360 games. The math works out to 90 games on weekdays starting after 11pm during the month. Since there are 160 teams and if your team paid for a prime time schedule , in theory it should have 1 game or less a month starting 11pm or later on a weekday. It was just an observation.

I also didn't say you mentioned refs. I just mentioned another comment that people use when they talk about leagues, not just NCHL.

As for as Corral, I have heard friends say they had paid for parking but didn't know what it costs. I filled in for a couple of Corral games and I wasn't charged anything to park.
    I was the one that sent the screenshot to shadowz......

and yes i did pay for prime time home ice.

edit: what refund? lol..

I was the one that sent the screenshot to shadowz......

and yes i did pay for prime time home ice.

edit: what refund? lol..
    Someone said they were told they could get a refund... I would definitely take it up with your team rep.

My Ride
    Ram

yeap, applied still havent seen it

My Ride
    TRD Pro

After playing in the NCHL for a few seasons (Winter and Summer) my team will never go back. Terrible ice times and the stupid penalty shot rules did it for us.

We are WAY happier in the WRAHL, Ive never had better ice times! We dont have one game past 10:30 from Sept-Dec, (Current posted schedule) and while we do have two games in Airdrie (ugh) the majority are quite central and even have a few weekend afternoon games thrown in. Refs are Refs.. some good some bad.

None of that pay more for a slightly less shitty schedule BS either.

Originally posted by R-Audi
    After playing in the NCHL for a few seasons (Winter and Summer) my team will never go back. Terrible ice times and the stupid penalty shot rules did it for us.

We are WAY happier in the WRAHL, Ive never had better ice times! We dont have one game past 10:30 from Sept-Dec, (Current posted schedule) and while we do have two games in Airdrie (ugh) the majority are quite central and even have a few weekend afternoon games thrown in. Refs are Refs.. some good some bad.

None of that pay more for a slightly less shitty schedule BS either.
    So the million dollar question is..... when the WRAHL adds more teams are you going to complain about them because they have to get later ice times? The fact is that there is only a finite amount of ice available in Calgary. Leagues don't pick up 11pm and later ice times because they want to or because it's cheaper. They pick up late ice times because it's all that's available.

Just out of curiosity why does WRAHL only post a current schedule til December? and what is the "stupid" penalty shot rule?
    Last edited by Nickerjones; 11-14-2013 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

So the million dollar question is..... when the WRAHL adds more teams are you going to complain about them because they have to get later ice times? The fact is that there is only a finite amount of ice available in Calgary. Leagues don't pick up 11pm and later ice times because they want to or because it's cheaper. They pick up late ice times because it's all that's available.

Just out of curiosity why does WRAHL only post a current schedule til December? and what is the "stupid" penalty shot rule?
    I'll chime in again. Lovely thing about being a part of WRAHL is that there are monthly sometimes semi-monthly updates from the people who run the league.

They had added 2 divisions this winter, and have already begun negotiating with current and additional rinks to keep the times earlier than 11. This is to accommodate more growth to their league.

WRAHL has only posted schedules to december as they had mentioned in our last newsletter that they are doing their second sets of division re-alignment.

As for what R-Audi is mentioning I believe he means the X amount of penalties that lead to a automatic penalty shot

Originally posted by shadowz

I'll chime in again. Lovely thing about being a part of WRAHL is that there are monthly sometimes semi-monthly updates from the people who run the league.

They had added 2 divisions this winter, and have already begun negotiating with current and additional rinks to keep the times earlier than 11. This is to accommodate more growth to their league.

WRAHL has only posted schedules to december as they had mentioned in our last newsletter that they are doing their second sets of division re-alignment.

As for what R-Audi is mentioning I believe he means the X amount of penalties that lead to a automatic penalty shot
    I'm not sure I understand, what is there to negotiate as far as times? It seems as if every rink is full until 11pm. If there was earlier ice wouldn't it already be taken by leagues?

I guess I understand the penalty shot rule if you're a league who doesn't want goons. I guess it wouldn't be a big deal unless the # of penalties was ridiculously low.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

I should re-phrase, negotiate to purchase more ice times for the 2014 winter season. Hence the early footwork. This negotiation is so that they can expand their league and this is their attempt to maintain "OK" ice times

My Ride
    Ram

Just wondering how much nchl is paying Nickerjones to defend them?

It seems like majority of us are on the same page which means the one who's jaded is you

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I'm not sure I understand, what is there to negotiate as far as times? It seems as if every rink is full until 11pm. If there was earlier ice wouldn't it already be taken by leagues?

Well clearly you dont have a clue how to negotiate ice time prior to the start of the season then. There're ALWAYs ways to get better ice time if you talk to the assiocation. ie. Some old timers shinny drop their ice time after X years. Those are the ones you can go after.

NCHL charged our team Home Prime Ice and we ended up with 1115 every fuckign monday. Promised that we'll be switched to 1030 2 months ago, nothing has changed so far. Also promised a refund last month, still have not seem the cheque. If you know them so well, please check into it for me.

I know for a fact that if you sign up for winsport / CAHL early prime time, ALL your games are before 10 or 1030. Sure CAHL early ice time is at the EDGE or Fairview which is fuckign far away, but if you live in the SW or NW, it really isnt that bad.

As a ref, I cant fucking stand how NCHL treat their refs.
    IE: If a ref doesnt show up, the other person only gets an additional $20 to solo. The ref that's MIA gets fined the full amount. So the league actually make money on people not showing up... how the fuck does that work? Any other league you get double for soloing. That's another reason why shitty refs work at NCHL... cause they aint carded and cant work anywhere else.

/rant

It seems like majority of us are on the same page which means the one who's jaded is you
    Nickerjones PM'd me. The title of the PM was "NCHL Free Shinny"

Nickerjones wrote on 11-13-2013 04:04 PM:
    Sorry your comment got mixed in with a few others or I would PM'd earlier. Let's hear about the dirty laundry

Are you sure you aren't one of the organizers?

Anyways, since I have been asked about the stories about NCHL. I will post it for all to see. It's not slander when its true. Please feel free to post your experiences with NCHL, or any other leagues. Its what this thread is for.

Originally posted by interlude

Nickerjones PM'd me. The title of the PM was "NCHL Free Shinny"

Are you sure you aren't one of the organizers?

Anyways, since I have been asked about the stories about NCHL. I will post it for all to see. It's not slander when its true. Please feel free to post your experiences with NCHL, or any other leagues. Its what this thread is for.
    I'm not an organizer. You can check my post history. I have posted NCHL Free Shinny threads. As I said, I know the guys. I can't work in Canada so I have nothing to do. They have a free shinny on Friday afternoons and it wasn't full so I asked them if I could try to fill it up to make it more enjoyable. When I typed NCHL in the subject it just filled with a title of old PM subjects that I have had with a few Beyonders about playing in the shinny.
    Last edited by Nickerjones; 11-14-2013 at 01:13 PM.

I have helped them with monotonous stuff like shinnys and even helping out with the setup of tournaments to play in them for free but I'm not getting paid anything. I just know the guys who run the league. I don't even play in it as I just moved here in September so I just sub. I admitted I was bias when I started posting. I think the only thing I have been defending is ice times, which to me is a silly point to argue because there is only a certain amount of ice times to go around. I'm not debating their ethics, management, etc because I don't know enough about it.

So just because one is in the Minority it makes them jaded? I thought we were just debating and not competing. I admit I don't know a ton about other leagues. Hence why I ask questions such as why the WRAHL doesnt have a schedule posted past December.
    Last edited by Nickerjones; 11-14-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Well clearly you dont have a clue how to negotiate ice time prior to the start of the season then. There're ALWAYs ways to get better ice time if you talk to the assiocation. ie. Some old timers shinny drop their ice time after X years. Those are the ones you can go after.

NCHL charged our team Home Prime Ice and we ended up with 1115 every fuckign monday. Promised that we'll be switched to 1030 2 months ago, nothing has changed so far. Also promised a refund last month, still have not seem the cheque. If you know them so well, please check into it for me.

I know for a fact that if you sign up for winsport / CAHL early prime time, ALL your games are before 10 or 1030. Sure CAHL early ice time is at the EDGE or Fairview which is fuckign far away, but if you live in the SW or NW, it really isnt that bad.

As a ref, I cant fucking stand how NCHL treat their refs.
    IE: If a ref doesnt show up, the other person only gets an additional $20 to solo. The ref that's MIA gets fined the full amount. So the league actually make money on people not showing up... how the fuck does that work? Any other league you get double for soloing. That's another reason why shitty refs work at NCHL... cause they aint carded and cant work anywhere else.

/rant
    I feel like I'm being attacked here. Which I guess I should have realized would happen when I started posting as a minority. Most of this stuff I can't comment on as I don't know. I don't know everything about the refs, especially the part you commented on.

You're right I don't know how to negotiate ice time here. I have never had to do it.

I really don't mind shooting an email to the guys I know about your schedule and refund. I fully believe if you paid for something and you didn't get it you should be reimbursed. I can't really email them and say Team_Mclaren ( unless Team Mclaren is your team's name) wants a refund. If you want to PM me your info and I can shoot an email. I made this offer to another guy in the thread and even PM'd me. He hasn't responded.

I also want to go on the record and say I don't want to seem like I am defending anyone. I have opinions just like all of you do. I like hearing your opinions and don't mind giving mine. I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest with anyone.

My Ride
    NC1

Would consider moving leagues if they had noob divisions like NCHL. Maybe someday lol can't even think about that right now given the team is 0-9-1 in div12
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Max Boost Hockey League?

I'd move our noobass team to your league Sam. You probably have better Ice time anyways. I can find you refs.

edit: come to think of it, it might actually work lol if we can get like 6 teams going.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast