Quantcast
Working out before supper - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Working out before supper

My Ride
    Giant Rainier

Default Working out before supper

Normally, I like to work out after supper. So I would get home from work, eat supper, digest for 1 to 1.5 hours, and then go work out. However I’d like to change my routine and start working out before supper so as to save time and get to bed earlier. (By “work out,” I mean weight lifting). But I hate working out with a growling tummy, so any suggestions on what to snack on before hitting the gym? I figure something light with a decent amount of carbs to last me through the workout.

Just bring extra food to eat before you workout. Do you pack a lunch? Then pack 2. If not, start packing.

I pack like a whole day's worth (student)

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

depending on the intensity of your workout (ie. crossfit kinda stuff or slower standard gym routine) what you need and how it is consumed can vary.

as liquid boi said a second lunch would be great. Even something like a pb and j sandwich would be awesome. As long as you are not eating crap before you should be fine.

Something to keep in mind though is that protein and fats sit in the stomach longer. And when you lift weights the blood flows away from your smooth muscle (digestion) and into your skeletal muscles doing the work.

So on days when you are lifting extra heavy or for myself leg days especially (big muscle group. I would eat something a little smaller then a second lunch. Along the lines of berries or a North American fruit.

When I was doing crossfit however food was totally different. I couldn't keep anything down within 2 hours of a workout. And even a smoothie at that time frame was difficult. So 6 am workouts, I would get up at 4 have a smoothie then go to bed until just before I hit the gym again.

The sugar in fruits is fructose. Which follows a different pathway to give us energy. So it will leave the stomach in a rather quick fashion ( not gonna feel sick), at the same time provide a steady energy over a longer period of time (fructose gets converted to glucose in the liver)

My Ride
    08 GSR

Before I used to go home and eat something light, like a bowl of cereal, wait like 10-15 minutes, then head to the gym. Afterwards I would have dinner, take a shower and go to bed.

i used to do the same
    eat supper at like 6, gym around 730

but now i just work til 5, and start the gym around 530
    i try to snack around 430. usually a fruit or healthy granola bar. i've had no issues trying to hold it down.

maybe a chicken breast?

My Ride
    has a stick axle

I always have a cup of oatmeal one hour before I work out. All I do is take the oatmeal drop it in a bowl, pour water over it until level. Wait a minute or two then ingest. I also usually enjoy some almonds with my pre-workout oatmeal.