Quantcast
100MPH chase of suspected rapist... in a 997 911 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 100MPH chase of suspected rapist... in a 997 911

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Default 100MPH chase of suspected rapist... in a 997 911

Two Ottawa men's decision to chase a car through residential roads at speeds exceeding 170 km/h to catch a suspected rapist has sparked a debate as to how far citizens should go when trying to help police.

Ryan O'Connor and his roommate, Matt Spezza, brother of Ottawa Senators star Jason Spezza, were driving to a Kim Mitchell concert around 11 p.m. Friday when they realized they forgot their tickets at home.

O'Connor, 33, turned his 2008 Porsche 997 around and they began heading back. As they drove down a deserted rural road, a woman jumped in front of the car.

"I hit the brakes. We were lucky we didn't hit her," said O'Connor. "She was screaming and crying, just hysterical. She pointed at this car and said, `That guy in the car tried to kill me.'"

The woman, holding a cell phone with a 911 dispatcher on the other end, said the attacker had given her a lift but then pulled over and demanded sexual favours.

The men then watched the alleged attacker take off in a blue Pontiac Wave.

Spezza told the distressed woman to get into back of the Porsche. Meanwhile, O'Connor grabbed her phone and spoke with the dispatcher as he chased the suspect's car.

Despite the two cars reaching speeds of over 170 km/h, the dispatcher didn't tell the men to stop the pursuit, confirmed Ottawa Police Chief Vern White.

"Our operator did not do what he should have done .... Thank God nothing happened," he said.

White said the department has no policy on citizen pursuits, adding that common sense should always prevail.

"If this had been a police pursuit, we would have stopped it. You don't do that with a victim in the back seat," he said.

The chase lasted about 20 minutes, O'Connor said, and took the two cars through several residential roads and parking lots. After driving the wrong way through a McDonald's drive-thru, the suspect turned onto Hwy. 416, where a police barricade stopped him.

Canadian media outlets and blogs are abuzz with the story, with some hailing the men as heroes while others are denouncing them as reckless cowboys.

"When they put her in the back of the car, that was heroism," White said. "What happened after wasn't."

He said Spezza or O'Connor won't be charged because they were under police supervision at the time.

In Toronto, police dispatchers have a policy to "discourage" a citizen from doing anything dangerous when pursuing a potential criminal - be it following someone with a gun or chasing a car at high-speeds, said Supt. Mark Fenton.

"When trying to apprehend somebody at those speeds, you could easily lose control and kill somebody totally innocent," he said.

Despite the criticism, O'Connor said he is happy he and Spezza did what they did.

"There's two sides to every story. I can see their point: We're very lucky we didn't have a head-on (collision). But if we did nothing, people would have said, `you should have followed him.' It's lose-lose," he said.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/699171

My Ride
    K Pop Yacht

Great article, thanks for sharing

sounds like win to me

i think the guy did the right thing

My Ride
    2016 Golf R

Thats a badass story.... I would have probably done the same thing, cept I wouldnt be drivin a Porsche

that would have been fun as hell.
    i don't think i would have risked my car though.

My Ride
    my bike

It's likely the 911 operator had no idea how fast they were going. I wouldn't have shared that information either

That would be nice to have police supervision as an excuse to reach 170... That speed, for a 997 turbo is really nothing tho. I bet the Pontiac Wave was almost falling into pieces at those speeds, while the Porsche felt like it was going for a nice Sunday drive.

My Ride
    '07 Dodge Charger R/T

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    That would be nice to have police supervision as an excuse to reach 170... That speed, for a 997 turbo is really nothing tho. I bet the Pontiac Wave was almost falling into pieces at those speeds, while the Porsche felt like it was going for a nice Sunday drive.
    I have to agree. A Porsche is built and engineered to handle speeds and maneuvers a Pontiac Wave can only dream of, so I think that having the right vehicle for the job can definitely tip the odds in your favour...On that note, Ive driven my fiancees' Wave, and I have to tell you, 170km/hr in THAT car as opposed to MY car would be one SCARY ass experience. I honestly did not know the Wave could achieve that high of a speed, the tires arent even rated that high...I guess I stand corrected .

"Ill hear your theories, mock them, then embrace my own" -House

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

So Awesome..
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    something green

Hmmm..

OTTAWA-Ryan O’Connor, described this week by police as a Good Samaritan for engaging in a high-speed chase of a sex assault suspect while on a cell phone with a 911 operator, has his own troubles with the law.

O’Connor, the former president of the used car dealership chain Find-A-Car, is scheduled to appear in court in early November to face several fraud charges, the culmination of an RCMP commercial crime probe launched in 2006. The probe, which enlisted detectives from three police agencies, involved interviews with about 450 people, including competitors and dozens of customers who claimed they went into financial ruin after signing car loans they could not afford.

The Mounties originally billed the alleged fraud as a multi-million dollar case, but the exact dollar figure has never been established, or proven, in court.

The police allege that Find-A-Car fudged loan applications, in some cases inflating the salaries of customers to secure them bank loans for which they otherwise would not qualify. The police also allege the dealership, which had locations in Ottawa, Kingston, Trenton and North Bay, offered warranties from a company that didn’t exist.

Some complainants told police they went bankrupt as they were left with car payments long after their vehicles had been repossessed.

“I can’t comment on that right now, and the (legal) matter will be dealt with shortly,” O’Connor, 33, said Wednesday.

The entrepreneur said he couldn’t comment on his nine charges, citing advice from his lawyer, Michael Edelson. The criminal charges have not been proven in court, and O’Connor is scheduled to enter a plea on Nov. 6.

Mark Turner, the former chief financial officer for

O’Connor’s company, has already pleaded guilty to two fraud charges.

The dealership, which former Ottawa Senators goalie Ray Emery helped promote, went out of business after the police raided its offices in May 2007.

The RCMP probe began after the force received complaints from bankers who suspected customer credit profiles were allegedly being fudged.

Before the car dealerships shut down after the police investigation, O’Connor was profiled in Profit 100 magazine. O’Connor, who won three Ontario lightweight championship boxing titles and qualified for the Canadian Olympic team trials, was featured in the magazine after his five used car dealerships hit yearly sales of $90 million in 2006.

The car enthusiast was on his way to a rock concert on Friday night when he and passenger Matt Spezza, brother of Senators centre Jason Spezza, came upon a woman in distress.

The woman told them she had been sexually attacked by a man she met at a party, but she managed to get out of the suspect’s car before flagging down O’Connor, who was behind the wheel of a Porsche heading down on Fallowfield Road. She pointed out her alleged attacker, who then took off. O’Connor, Spezza and the woman, who got in the Porsche, then pursued the other man’s Pontiac Wave through Ottawa’s west side for about 20 minutes, at times reaching speeds of 170 km/h, while maintaining cellphone contact with a 911 operator.

Ottawa Police Chief Vern White has ordered a review of 911 policies, saying operators are expected to stop such civilian pursuits. O’Connor said Saturday he was surprised the chase was not called off by the 911 operator as he described near head-on collisions, running red lights and passing other cars on the shoulder as the two vehicles barrelled north along Eagleson Road. O’Connor said he understood the police chief’s position, but told the Citizen on Sunday that, even if called off by the dispatcher, he would have likely continued the pursuit on instinct.
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by TurboD
    that would have been fun as hell.

Wow... Might As Well Go For a Soda.....

(It's a good thing Dany Heatley wasn't driving)

Originally posted by core_upt

Thats a low blow. As a personal friend of Dany's, i can tell you he made HUGE mistake, but he lives that fateful night in his mind daily.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by core_upt

sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    240sx with SR

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Thats a low blow. As a personal friend of Dany's, i can tell you he made HUGE mistake, but he lives that fateful night in his mind daily.
    Yet he keeps pissing everyone off?? Glad he's out of Canada now, maybe next time he gets caught in the states and stays in jail.

Originally posted by Beerking

Yet he keeps pissing everyone off?? Glad he's out of Canada now, maybe next time he gets caught in the states and stays in jail.
    The media is a bitch and paints the picture they want you to see. Sure hes been through a lot, and stepped on some toes along the way, but if you know him personally, hes a great guy. I also know, even though it doesn't excuse his actions, that Dan Snyder's family has all forgiven him for the crash.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Does anyone else find it weird that two dudes were going to a Kim Mitchell concert together?
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by adamc
    Does anyone else find it weird that two dudes were going to a Kim Mitchell concert together?
    i find it weird that anyone goes to a kim mitchell concert...

awful
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by 98type_r
    It's likely the 911 operator had no idea how fast they were going. I wouldn't have shared that information either
    Bingo.

Last edited by J NRG; 10-21-2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Beyond
    belief
    reason
    but not beyond puberty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast