Quantcast
Good Areas in and around Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Areas in and around Calgary

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Default Good Areas in and around Calgary

I may be moving up there next spring / summer and am just looking for good info on neighbourhoods in calgary and the surrounding area. I'd appreciate any solid advice, and if you like one are in particular could you also mention which section it is in. (SW, SW, etc.)

Residential areas, where 4-5 Bedroom homes in the $400-$600k range, would be ideal. Nothing further than Airdrie, but prefer a little closer.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

NW calgary.

nuff said.

sorry - edit

dalhousie
    montgomery
    bowness
    brentwood
    hawkwood
    edgemont
    arbour lake
    tuscany
    bearspaw
    scenic acres
    rocky ridge

all those hoods are in the NW and should have houses in your price range.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Depends on what you are looking for...

Do you want a new house in a new community in the $400-$600K range... or do you prefer to be in an older/mature community?

For that particular price range, you can pretty much live anywhere in Calgary... it all depends on what you want.

I prefer the NW... live in Sandstone (mid 80s-early 90s development) and the best section in here is Santana Estates, where you can get a large home in that price range you are looking for.

I also like Panorama Hills, Hidden Valley, Hamptons, Edgemont, Hawkwood... even Macewan is nice.

Other than a couple of intersections, the NW traffic seems to flow the best too... SW probably has the worst traffic congestion, so keep that in mind.

NE... hmmm... the only neighborhood I like over there that is comparable to a NW community is Coral Springs.

Lots of decent areas in the SE too... Bonavista/Parkland (older but beautiful areas), Douglasdale, McKenzie Lake.

Any more information for us on exactly what you are looking for, like amenities, commute times, etc...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I like the Charleswood/Brisbois area. Lots of cool older houses. Tons of trees and it's close to everything pretty much.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by zipdoa
    NW calgary.

nuff said.
    That depends if he likes the constant smell of Chinese cooking or not.

Originally posted by sputnik

That depends if he likes the constant smell of Chinese cooking or not.
    lol... I've lived in one of the most 'Chinese' neighborhoods in Calgary for 5 years now... and never once have I smelled anything other than someone grilling on the BBQ...

Originally posted by masoncgy

lol... I've lived in one of the most 'Chinese' neighborhoods in Calgary for 5 years now... and never once have I smelled anything other than someone grilling on the BBQ...
    Sorry that was supposed to be a joke.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Douglasdale/Mckenzie lake is mostly white people, buy there if you like the smell of Kraft Dinner!

I think They got you covered with the whole NW post's above. It is noticeably nicer up there as compared to NE..
    NW and SE just seem so much further from the city center to me though..

Originally posted by sputnik
    Sorry that was supposed to be a joke.
    Sadly, people in Calgary believe that's actually true.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

Sadly, people in Calgary believe that's actually true.
    Making it about racism again. It's a fact that I see more Chinese people in the northwest than in the southwest or southeast. <-What is so sad about that?

I wouldn't live way the fuck in the NW past beddington or whatever, at that point you may as well just live in Airdrie, everything is so far away. The SW hasn't spanned southward as much as the north has, and the areas there are much better interms of crime (not including downtown core) and traffic (not including glenmore interchanges) I feel like I can drive for an hour in the NW and still feel like I'm in the same neighborhood.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I agree with NW comments. In the NW corner you have Royal Oak, Tuscany, and Arbour Lake which are all newer communities offering easy access to the highway if you partake in winter sports and take frequent trips to the mountains like I do.

Additionally, the completion of all the overpasses on Crowchild over the past few years, the Stoney Trail overpass coming soon, and the recent opening of the north leg of the ring road, commuting practically anywhere in the city from the NW has become a breeze.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by CUG
    I feel like I can drive for an hour in the NW and still feel like I'm in the same neighborhood.
    That's because you're driving in circles. Get a GPS or Mapquest your shit if you're not directionally inclined.

Originally posted by CUG
    Making it about racism again. It's a fact that I see more Chinese people in the northwest than in the southwest or southeast. &lt;-What is so sad about that?

I wouldn't live way the fuck in the NW past beddington or whatever, at that point you may as well just live in Airdrie, everything is so far away. The SW hasn't spanned southward as much as the north has, and the areas there are much better interms of crime (not including downtown core) and traffic (not including glenmore interchanges) I feel like I can drive for an hour in the NW and still feel like I'm in the same neighborhood.
    It's got nothing to do with racism, rather, just the silly belief that NW Calgary smells like Chinese food, or NE Calgary reeks of curry. It's like someone else who said the SE smells like Kraft Dinner... all are ridiculous and not true, but some people in Calgary seriously believe it.

...and... 144 Ave NW is pretty much the edge of the city on the north side... the south expands past 194 Ave now... that's the equivilent of 50 city blocks further out the south end expands... so really, your claim is false.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

It's got nothing to do with racism, rather, just the silly belief that NW Calgary smells like Chinese food, or NE Calgary reeks of curry. It's like someone else who said the SE smells like Kraft Dinner... all are ridiculous and not true, but some people in Calgary seriously believe it.

...and... 144 Ave NW is pretty much the edge of the city on the north side... the south expands past 194 Ave now... that's the equivilent of 50 city blocks further out the south end expands... so really, your claim is false.
    You're....unreal. Drive center street all the way north, as far as it will go, tell me when you've hit the city limit. Do the same for Mcleod south. Let me know what took you longer.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by CUG
    You're....unreal. Drive center street all the way north, as far as it will go, tell me when you've hit the city limit. Do the same for Mcleod south. Let me know what took you longer.
    If you think it would take longer to get to the north end you're delusional.

Originally posted by CUG
    I've done it before, and many times too (though you can't technically follow Centre St all the way north = bus trap)... 144 Ave N vs 194 Ave S... that's a 50 city block difference.

Have you ever even looked at a map of Calgary before?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I think the biggest thing to consider is where you NEED to be for things like work. If you are going to be going to work in Quarry Park, living in the NW doesn't make much sense. The NE is probably the only quadrant of the city I would exclude. There are nice / good neighbourhoods in the NW, SW & SE.

What are you coming to town for? Work? School?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Default Re: Good Areas in and around Calgary

Originally posted by jonnycat
    I may be moving up there next spring / summer and am just looking for good info on neighbourhoods in calgary and the surrounding area. I'd appreciate any solid advice, and if you like one are in particular could you also mention which section it is in. (SW, SW, etc.)

Residential areas, where 4-5 Bedroom homes in the $400-$600k range, would be ideal. Nothing further than Airdrie, but prefer a little closer.
    Your price range is quite broad, but the range you have is a good one.
    There is a plethora of homes available all throughout the city; new in new communitied; old in established communities.

will what you do for work determine where in the city you need to be?
    does transportation to DT or schools need to be part of your criteria? looking for mountain views? maybe in a valley? close to farmland? do you like the urban night life and need to be close to it?

I could take you for a tour of the areas during a weekend.

btw: I live in citadel and probably be here for a very long time. we love it here. We've lived all over, NE, SW and so far we think the NW feels the most comfortable and friendly. I lived in citadel before and when the opportunity came up to move back in a better part of my old neighbourhood, we jumped at it without hesitation..
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yup. Citadel is great. Hidden Valley, Evanston, Kincora, Sage Hill and Hamptons are all wonderfull communities too. (Most are slightly further from downtown, but the newly opened ring road should help)

Mleh I live in Langdon where we find massive houses built on massive lots. I'm sick of the newer communities in Calgary. I hate the idea of getting a decent sized house and a small back yard. Every time I drive through mckenzie towne I absolutely cringe.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast