Quantcast
Calgary Radio Stations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Radio Stations

Default Calgary Radio Stations

What's your opinion on this, I used to think 96.9 JackFM was THE RADIO STATION to listen to, it was fresh and funny because they kind of made fun of themselves and the JackFM 'voice' had hilarious segways between songs, but over time they just began to suck, become less and less funny and they tended to repeat way too much garbage recycled Rock music, every time I listened to them I had conjured visions of a bunch of rednecks drinking beer in their trailer park 'country' homes. I honestly came to think that this is the crowd they catered their music to. I was suckered in by their originality from day one, I even changed my voicemail to "I listen to Jack!!" on the off chance that if they happened to phone me I would land $1000 in my pocket. This never happened, of course. I even faithfully signed up with their contests and 'word of the day' competitions, collecting as many points as I could. Of course, and once again, nothing good ever came from it.

So I stopped listening to them and changed my preferred radio station to X92.9 FM, they were brand new in town, they promised awesome music and they even had a 'No Nickelback guarantee', how hilarious is that! For a long time I thought they were awesome, funny, fresh and had a good approach to their audience. But over time I came to the realization that their DJ's just sucked and tended to the side of douchebaggery with their unsatisfying social demeanor. Coincidentally at this time their playlist became repetitive, hollow and uninteresting and I had a very hard time listening to the washed out and seemingly jaded-with-life morning DJ's. It was time for a change.

Then one day whilst channel hopping I found a radio station broadcasting on 97.7 FM. They had a repetitive but highly interesting *experimental* playlist full of a variety of music that I enjoyed, hell they even played Vanessa Mae - I don't care what you say, she plays that Violin with some mean finger work. When they were doing their experimental thing before they were *officially on air* they were awesome and their segways were actually interesting to listen to. But, unfortunately for me, their life was short lived because just as soon as they had begun to rock the dismal radio scene it came to a sudden end. When they exited their experimental/startup stage and went live all they tended to play was the same old washed up Rock4Rednecks music that JackFM religiously played day in and day out. Did they *steal* their playlist from JackFM or what?! I was really disappointed by this and for many weeks I hung on in the hopes that they would improve but all I heard was the same old stuff again and again. It would seem that all good things come to an end.

THEN, I found 90.3 FM and Vibe 98.5 FM and this was a revelation of sorts. They played different music, stuff that I hadn't heard before, more along the lines of modern electronic music and pop music. But after a short time I started to lose interest because they tended to play more of the same songs and more often than other radio stations. During one days listening session it sounded like 90.3 FM had a playlist that consisted entirely of 3 songs, rinsed and repeated over and over. There was one particular song where I had counted it played at least 25 times in an 8 hour period. Thus begun their descent into the pits of tunage suckage.

So my question is do Calgary radio stations just SUCK in general? Are the radio stations forcing us to buy MP3 players and create playlists of music that only we prefer? What is your opinion on the local radio stations?

Sure there's a few other radio stations like Lite 96 which are only acceptable to listen to when you're shopping or waiting in line for something but I'm talking about the big fellas.

I think CJSW is the only station that has remained relatively unaffected in all this time, in all the stations that have started up over recent years CJSW has remained constant, delivering the variety of music needed to remain, at least, semi original. But even then, they're not perfect. There's that one woman DJ that sounds like she has an onion shoved down her throat and in which she's forced to speak from the holes inbetween her teeth with a near-lisp that drives me crazy. When I hear her voice I turn off the radio in pursuit of the silence needed to cleanse my ears.

You have to understand my perspective on music, I enjoy a variety of everything, some classical, some heavy metal, some emotunes, some Rock, some electronic, heck, even Gregorian Chanting is helluva interesting to listen to, I don't subscribe to any particular 'scene'. I'm not your stereotypical goth, emo, punk or screamo-grundge hybrid that cannot understand that a variety of music is actually good to listen to. I'm just your average guy with a taste for more than one genre of music but it bugs me that I cannot ever tune into a radio station and have a descent listening experience.

Besides CJSW every station in Calgary is and always will be garbage...

Anybody remember Rock 107 and when it used to be cool (and actually good).

Then Power 107 came along and everything was ruined.

And I'd say MP3s have essentially replaced radio for me. The only radio I listen to are Flames games if I'm in my car, or the Fan960 morning show because Richards is kinda funny and my radio is set to the station because of the Flames games.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 10-20-2009 at 09:36 PM.

MIX 1060 AM for life.

My Ride
    '98 Camry

I got tired of the same shit music being played over and over again.

Now I just listen to talk radio. Mainly AM 770....

If you are ever up at 4am they have some crazy call in show where people call in talking about either being abducted by aliens or having an exorcism performed to fight off demons. It's awesome...

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by kertejud2
    Anybody remember Rock 107 and when it used to be cool (and actually good).

Then Power 107 came along and everything was ruined.
    I remember 107 KIK FM

Originally posted by deaftone
    MIX 1060 AM for life.
    Wow! that was a while back.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

PURE GARBAGE! thats how every one of them is. Yea each one might play a good song every once in a while but that other 99% is the same BS top 40 that every other station plays.

CJSW? im not sure how this station is still going, indie rock bs or whatever they play is awful

My Ride
    Exploded.

CJSW. Otherwise, just buy Sirius.

Vibe/Energy sucks and Amp is heading there too.

My Ride
    09 WRX

They need a Hip Hop/R&B station that plays new music all the time.

They had this when I lived in Seattle. Cube 93.3 or something it was awesome.

wasn't there a vocal trance channel, 100.00+ range. And also i listen to that ethnic radio station every now and then @ 94.00 range. otherwise it's mp3 @ work.

My Ride
    R32 Skyline, S13 Silvia

Calgary does have shitty radio, But it is better than alot of other Canadian cities I have been to. Vancouver must have the shittiest selection of all.
    The best radio stations are in the States. Every major city in the USA has really good stations
    Jason D.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

On my computer I listen to BBC Radio 1 and I have that streaming to my PS3. So other then in my car which I listen to Cd's I dont listen to any other radio station then Radio 1.

Listen to it for a day or two and you will think all other radio is junk. There music is way ahead of ours, they do play rock (even though its english its still good), They talk about funny shit all the time, and there talk shows are so good.

Does it matter? All you need is am 960 and satellite radio. Terrestrial radio is a dying thing and probably will get worse since everyone is switching to sirius/xm

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I used to listen to AM106 back in the day, Mix1060, Cj92, Jack, Q107, I've been through them all.
    Now I'm hooked on CKUA 93.7 in Calgary for two reasons:
    1 - Incredible variety
    2 - Fewer commercials.

Sure, they play some wierd ass hippy bullshit, but I'd rather listen to that than hear the same Nickleback song twice in one day. That makes me want to drive my car into a bridge abutment.
    Also, the programming is very different at different times of the day and week, so it's like several stations in one.
    Anyone with fairly mainstream tastes should check out Mulligan stew on Saturday evenings. If you remember Terry David Mulligan from Much Music back in the day, he's the host.
    They have excellent blues programming too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    project empty wallet... Kouki Monster

i dont really listen to the radio in the car but at work i stream radio play house which is a fully produced web casted radio show. it gets me through the day and hilarious

all the radio stations in calgary suck no variety in music and the dj's are annoying especially jack

My Ride
    '19 GTI

FM 90.3 was rad when it was Fuel.

Now its complete garbage like every other station

My Ride
    Bicycle

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

You get what you pay for

Originally posted by snoop101
    On my computer I listen to BBC Radio 1 and I have that streaming to my PS3. So other then in my car which I listen to Cd's I dont listen to any other radio station then Radio 1.

Listen to it for a day or two and you will think all other radio is junk. There music is way ahead of ours, they do play rock (even though its english its still good), They talk about funny shit all the time, and there talk shows are so good.

I listen to Radio1 as well and have been for years. When I am at work or out and about I stream it on my iPhone. They are trying to release a BBC Radio app for the iPhone on Dec 1. Hopefully the can add Listen Again to it shortly after.

My Ride
    Hondas

Originally posted by swak
    FM 90.3 was rad when it was Fuel.

Now its complete garbage like every other station
    yup.

I thought it was awesome when I could get 92.9 on my radio at work when they got the new tower, but now I find myself switching around all the time. They repeat as much or more than cjay, and I just get sick of it so fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast