Quantcast
Power Generators? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Power Generators?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Default Power Generators?

I am in need of a gasoline powered generator, but I know nothing about purchasing one. I need it to run a few heavy power tools at a time (hilti drills, skill saw etc.) and operate at a reasonable noise level.

There seems to be a huge price gap between generators. I was hoping not to spend much more than $1200 but don't want junk

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/se...pC211PJqrNn1gK!1374083151?bmForm=form_endeca_search&bmFormID=1258603035111&bmUID=1258603035111&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fhome.jsp&bmHidden=OMNITURE_FROM&OMNITURE_FROM=Search&bmText=quick_search_term&quick_search_term=generator&bmSubmit=quick_search&quick_search=Search&bmHidden=FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077

5000 watts should do you fine. My welder at work makes 10,000 watts auxiliary power and i dont think ive ever used it, and i run a grinder full out, hiltis, chop saws, etc.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

hmmm, link doesn't seem to work

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

ok well it was canadiantire.ca

do a search for generators, the 5000 watt for like 800$ got 4 1/2 star reviews.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

whats with the huge price difference with something like this: http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

pretty much same power?

I'm just worried about buying Canadian tire junk.

The price difference you see in gens is for the life span and quality. There has been a ton of cheap gens hit the market the last number of yrs, and they are fine to pull out of the garage once and a while, or take camping a few times a yr.. But if you're going to be running it a lot, you need a good one. And it's name is honda.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    And it's name is honda.
    QFT
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I agree that Honda makes a great small engine, but 5000 watts costs 2,100 plus. Any good compromises?

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    The price difference you see in gens is for the life span and quality. There has been a ton of cheap gens hit the market the last number of yrs, and they are fine to pull out of the garage once and a while, or take camping a few times a yr.. But if you're going to be running it a lot, you need a good one. And it's name is honda.
    Hey Supa!!

Listen to him, sxtasy. You get what you pay for, ESPECIALLY, in generators. Talk to any hunter, fisher or RV person (Im the RV type lol) you can't go wrong with Honda. You spend $1,000 for a 3,000 or better generator and it wont last and you'll have problems....if you're going to be a heavy user.

Most of the $$$ with a Yamaha/Honda is becaue they are an Inverter generator. ie. the engine runs at a different speed so they need an inverter to ramp them up. They do this so they can make them very quiet.

The simpler chinese gensets run at a constant 3600rpm which is a mulitple of 60hz so they don't need an inverter. The chinese gensets are a clone of the honda engines, definately not as high quality as the honda but much better than a b/s.

I have no first hand experience but I'm going to try my luck with the cheap Champion from Costco. ~$300 for a 3000w... Besides it's costco, if it doesn't work I'll take it back.

there's an 800 page thread on rv.net about the chinese gensets, Many are still going strong years later.
    Last edited by hedge; 11-19-2009 at 03:13 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you need rock bottom price, grab something from Princess Auto. Nowhere near the quality of a Honda, but it'll work for a while . . . .
    Heck, buy two and and you'll still come out ahead.
    6500w Generator - $650 at Princess Auto
    if you can get by with something smaller, they get really cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    KTM

I would suggest looking at Costco- couple buddies have them for there trailers. Lots of power not to loud.

Other than that Honda or Yamaha for sure.

That was my whole point.. He needs to run it ALL THE TIME... If he asked for one to run now and then, sure he could get away with a cheap one.. If you're running your business off of it, I may want a good one.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

thanks for all the suggestions! I like the Princess Auto idea, everything I have bought from there has been good bang for the buck.

I won't be running it all the time, but once in a while I am working on sites that don't have any available power, and I am trying to offset the cost of having to rent one.

My Ride
    4x4

Princess auto gensets are the same as the costco ones... Just a different color / name on em... Come out of the same chinese factory

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

but I want the Powa Fist!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

power fist is the best brand name evar!1!!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    See sig

I bought an 800W (1000W MAX) from Canadain Tire on sale for $80. I've only ever run lights/stero off of it though, it's the GenMate one. I'm the "takes it camping 2/3 times a year" type. Hell I haven't gone through one full tank of gas the entire time I've owned it. I wouldn't mind getting some sort of system where I can easily hook it up to the house though, just for emergency lighting in the case of a blackout or whatever.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

Another vote for Honda. When I worked in tool rentals, we used all Honda generators, never had a single problem (im sure people abused them too), and they were very quiet.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

i have a yamaha, and it works perfectly, i use it alot in the summer. My Dad bought one of those cheap ones, used it once and it failed... he now has a yamaha