Quantcast
AWD System Comparisons - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AWD System Comparisons

Default AWD System Comparisons

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a new ride and have a few musts.

1. AWD
    2. Space for 5+
    3. Half decent towing capacity
    4. Good reputation for reliability
    5. Reasonable operating expenses
    6. Good cold weather performance

Figuring out items 2 - 6 are straightforward, but assessing the different AWD systems on the market is pretty tough.

Lots of companies market 4WD systems as AWD, which is sort of misleading. True AWD systems can vary quite a bit from what I've been able to read on the subject as well.

Is it engaged 100% of the time, or is it an "intelligent" system that depends on certain conditions and feedback from the system sensors to engage.

The tradeoff appears to be traction control vs fuel economy. The fully engaged systems (Subaru) have higher fuel consumption, but perform great. The 'intellegent' systems have better fuel economy, but do not perform as well in all conditions.

Lastly, it looks like companies will stratify their systems depending on trim levels, yet they really don't get into the detail on how the different systems vary... it seems that most people are happy to hear "yes, this has AWD" and then go no further to understand what they're getting.

Any opinions out there on which manufacturers have the best AWD systems, and which models are the top performers?

For instance, how would a Mitsubishi Outlander compare with a Toyota Sienna?

Thanks all

My Ride
    See sig

Audi's Quattro is a pretty good system. You can push gobs of hp through those diff's and they are never the point of failure.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Not the prettiest things on the road but the MDX handles 1-6.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: AWD System Comparisons

Originally posted by SeeGeeWhy

1. AWD
    2. Space for 5+
    3. Half decent towing capacity
    4. Good reputation for reliability
    5. Reasonable operating expenses
    6. Good cold weather performance
    Audi and Subaru are generally accepted as the best AWD systems around (they should be, it's been their meat and potato's for decades ahead of the rest of the crowd)

So between these two (and for clarity I own one of each)...

1. AWD - Audi's is better (IMO), however their cars are also heavier, which makes for a nice quiet ride, but also worse fuel economy, and worse stopping on ice

2. Space for 5+ - Audi wins again, bigger cars (well depending on which ones you're looking at anyways), but once again, the fuel economy/weight.

3. Half decent towing ability- Depends what you consider half decent? The Audi Q7 can tow the most of the two manufacturers @ 6600 lbs, but most of both their line ups are between 2000-4000 lbs.

4.Reliability - Subaru wins hands down, though Audi has supposedly gotten better in the past few years, I can tell you everything that does need work, is a PITA (I had to take the entire front clip off my Audi just to change the alternator), Subaru is really simple to work on comparatively

5. Operating expenses - Subaru again, easy to work on, cheaper parts, better fuel economy (for the most part)

6. Cold weather performance - Both, optioned right, they both come with heated seats, mirrors, etc., and both have awesome AWD systems, but as mentioned earlier, Audi's are generally heavier, and there-fore worse braking ability on ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Agreed on all points. Would you be looking at an Outback or a Tribeca? More passenger room in a Tribeca, but heavier on gas.

What about Volvo XC70? Not familiar with them but my friend has one and loves it. Few more options available on it too.

My family has three Subarus, so I'm biased
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    NC1

If you want a reliable, fully equipped, easy to maintain AWD vehicle, it's Subaru no doubt. Not to out do you Canmorite, but my family has 5! haha

If you want a luxury head turner, then Audi wins.

For cold weather, winter tires #1, but #2, you can install a remote starter on the Subaru, not sure about the Audi. There's nothing like jumping into a warm car on a -30 day.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

We looked at AWD for a while, and decided that bang-for-your-buck, the Mitsubishi Endeavour was a great deal. Very competitive prices for an import SUV. Full time All Wheel Drive, good towing, 3.5L V6 - so its not a total killer on gas. Seats 5 with a good cargo area. And they look great.

I ended up deciding I wanted a 4x4 that I could manage (i.e. turn it off, on, Lo, HI...etc). I ended up buying an Envoy because I found one for a killer price. Plus I can chnage it to 4HI, 4LO, AWD, or 2HI. And the 4.2L inline 6 has good power and not a total pig on gas, relatively speaking.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    SH-AWD

Default re AWD choice

We drive an '08 Highlander. Tows up to 5000lb, 3rd row seating (for the 5+) and the 3.5L six isn't too bad mileage wise. the 4wd is a constant 50/50 split and then managed based on the VSC and traction control. I like it because it is not a "smart" system but sends power to all 4 wheels constantly.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Subaru or Audi for sure. I think Audi has a slightly better system though.

Here's a very informative video, kinda biased for Subaru, but still worth the watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

The Audi's should perform the same or better as the Subaru did in that video.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

How often do you need the + in 5+?

That really narrow down your choices to MDX, Q7 and Tribeca.

I agree that Acura, Audi, Subaru have the best AWD. Acura probably get the best bet on reliability.

Beyond that, you are probably looking at real trucks.

My Ride
    W204

Man for "5+", I would just skip everything and go for the minivan. As much as I hate minivans, you just can't beat them for hauling people. Does it have to be AWD?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Ford Flex?
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

LOL at Audi and Subaru being the best. Technically Mitsubishi makes the best high volume AWD system hands down but it's also more complex involving multiple LSD's and an S-AYC in the EVO X. The Ralliart's is based on the EVO IX system which has ACD (active center differential) with front and rear LSD's. Unlike Subaru's and Audi AWD systems EVO's/Ralliarts can send torque to individial corners rather than simply front and rear. Acura is similar but doesn't have S-AYC and only the Nissan GTR offers similar technology. Subaru's system works well but it's the most basic, simple, low-tech design with no LSD's and torque is evenly applied to all four wheels at all times. It works well (AWD is AWD after all) but it's not even remotely close to the technology of the competition.

Mitsubishi's AWD system was chosen as 2009's Best New Technology Award over other entries such as Honda's SH-AWD;

http://www.ajac.ca/files/ccoty/CCOTY_Tech_EN.pdf

To the OP's question. The Outlander is not an AWD vehicle. It's 4WD. It will be fulltime FWD in 2WD mode, in 4WD it will act like a Honda CRV where torque is applied to the rear wheels when sensors detect slippage, in 4WD Lock it will lock a 50/50 front/rear torque split. I believe only Mitsubishi and Toyota offer real 4WD in the CUV segment.
    Last edited by heavyD; 11-24-2009 at 01:20 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

That may be true, but it's only application (in N.A.) is in the EVO series, which doesn't fit ANY of the criteria of the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    That may be true, but it's only application is in the EVO series, which doesn't fit ANY of the criteria of the OP
    Ralliart and Ralliart Sportback As well Consumer reports ranks Mitsubishi as the #6 most reliable of all automakers behind only Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus of the Japanese brands. All the other Japanes brands are in the teens and twenties.
    Last edited by heavyD; 11-24-2009 at 01:25 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

^ I knew you'll show up.

The only reason Mitsu is not listed is because of the 5+ requirement. As nice as EVO is, it's more of a 4+ 1/2.

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Originally posted by Eleanor
    Ford Flex?
    The more I research these the more I like them. It would fit all of the OP's requirements.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

Originally posted by heavyD
    LOL at Audi and Subaru being the best. Technically Mitsubishi makes the best high volume AWD system hands down but it's also more complex involving multiple LSD's and an S-AYC in the EVO X. The Ralliart's is based on the EVO IX system which has ACD (active center differential) with front and rear LSD's. Unlike Subaru's and Audi AWD systems EVO's/Ralliarts can send torque to individial corners rather than simply front and rear. Acura is similar but doesn't have S-AYC and only the Nissan GTR offers similar technology. Subaru's system works well but it's the most basic, simple, low-tech design with no LSD's and torque is evenly applied to all four wheels at all times. It works well (AWD is AWD after all) but it's not even remotely close to the technology of the competition.

Mitsubishi's AWD system was chosen as 2009's Best New Technology Award over other entries such as Honda's SH-AWD;

http://www.ajac.ca/files/ccoty/CCOTY_Tech_EN.pdf

To the OP's question. The Outlander is not an AWD vehicle. It's 4WD. It will be fulltime FWD in 2WD mode, in 4WD it will act like a Honda CRV where torque is applied to the rear wheels when sensors detect slippage, in 4WD Lock it will lock a 50/50 front/rear torque split. I believe only Mitsubishi and Toyota offer real 4WD in the CUV segment.
    Depends on the model of Audi. Some new models use electronic torque vectoring diffs.

The advantage of the old ones was using Torsen so there didn't have to be slip before power was shifted. Open diffs front and back though.

Originally posted by alloroc

The more I research these the more I like them. It would fit all of the OP's requirements.
    my gf likes her Ford Edge. I can't see it being too comfortable with 5+ but its decent with the AWD but probably smaller than the Flex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast