Quantcast
Demon's Souls PS3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Demon's Souls PS3

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Default Demon's Souls PS3

I normally don't come out and recommend games but I felt compelled to because this game is so good and nobody is talking about it. This game has recieved unanimously excellent reviews unfortunately it's been burried in the fall arrival of big name games which is really unfortunate as of right now it's my GOTY by a large margin.

If you are a fan of RPG's you owe it to yourself to check it out as it's the most rewarding game I've played in years. IT MUST BE NOTED HOWEVER THIS GAME IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT GAMES OF THE LAST TWO GENERATIONS OF CONSOLES SO IF YOU AREN'T UP FOR A CHALLENGE AND CAN'T ACCEPT THAT YOU WILL DIE LOTS & BE FORCED TO REPEAT LEVELS OVER & OVER DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH THIS GAME. In fact the first level is probably the hardest level in the game in that it forces you to realize that you need to take caution at all times as death is always just around a corner and that every battle requires attention because even weak opponents will take you down if you are sloppy. The game actually gets easier as you progress once you get in the zone and the boss battles are varied and epic. The fact that this game makes you work so hard to complete levels makes it so rewarding compared to many new games which you can finish without ever feeling challenged. Everything about this game is great in fact the only real weakpoint is that the story which really isn't very involving for an RPG.

Another really cool innovation is that you play online with everyone but not in the conventional way. Players can leave messages and hints while going through their game and they will show up for everyone else. For instance you get to a point in a level where out of nowhere an extremely tough opponent ambushes you you can leave a message to warn others before they walk into an untimely death. As well when someone dies their puddle of blood remains so you can activate it and watch their last moments before death in a ghost like replay which may aid you on battling an upcoming foe. It's really, really cool.

A few tips to anyone that thinks they are up to the challenge. Do not consume the Souls of boss Demons as you use them later in the game for unique weapons and souls. I highly recommend an online guide to aid you such as IGN, Gamespot, or wikki, etc as there are many spells and weapons that you would miss out on without the aid of a guide as the game doesn't just drop everything in your lap. The game is much easier if you focus on magic skills as you can defeat opponents from a distance compared to hack and slashers which must get close to opponents and bosses that can kill you in a couple of strikes. When you first start the game you will die many, many times and have to repeat the entire first level over and over, don't get discouraged as the game actually gets easier as you level up. I almost quit out of frustration in the first level but I'm so glad I didn't as I've come to the realization that while the game feels initially cheap in how easy you die it's not. It's very fair once you adjust to the fact that as in real life you remain cautious at all times and prepare for every battle rather than running into rooms and hacking and slashing your way out. That leads to continuous tension which adds to the experience.

If you're a hardcore gamer and enjoy RPG's you owe it to yourself to check this one out. Check out the IGN & Gamespot reviews if you are interested for more perspectives.
    Last edited by heavyD; 12-11-2009 at 08:42 AM.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

I'm glad someone else is enjoying this game. I heard about it from a buddy, and had to rent it. I'm a fan of Atlus games, as they are known to make cult classics. One of my favorite games of all time was Ogre Battle on SNES (subsequently re-released on PS1).

I managed to defeat 4 demons, and I knew this was a game I had to own. It's incredibly tough, and 2/4 of the enemies I had to cheap out with arrows from afar since I made the mistake of choosing a Melee class lol. Oh well, I really hope it does get a bit easier but I managed to find someone selling the Deluxe Edition with the strategy guide.

I have a huge backlog of games to play right now, but I look forward to going hard on this game again in the new year. How far along are you heavyD? I've defeated: Phalanx, Tower Knight, Fool's Idol, and Armored Spider. I don't know where I'll try to go next lol.

I'd recommend this game to everyone, but it IS hard to find and is hard as hell to play. I'm sure its rewarding as hell like the OP has mentioned. I'd probably say rent it first! I was so close to giving up in several places, the fucking tower knight was one of them. If you're in the McKenzie Towne area, for some reason Blockbuster has 4 copies even though there wasn't a single copy in all of Calgary Best Buys.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I've pretty well collected every demon soul and am in the final boss battle. I expect to be done tonight. I did a little farming on stages 4-2 and 4-4 on Stingrays to level up to the point where I am pretty powerful and have taken out the last three bosses with relative ease.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Cool, I take it you're a magic user then? How many hours did it take you to get to the end? I think in like 20hours all I accomplished is defeating 4 demons I think it definitely gets easier when you're stronger over time.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Seanith
    Cool, I take it you're a magic user then? How many hours did it take you to get to the end? I think in like 20hours all I accomplished is defeating 4 demons I think it definitely gets easier when you're stronger over time.
    Magic user for sure. I honestly don't know if I could have progressed through the game as a melee character as some of the bosses are just too large and powerful to go blow to blow with. I'll have to check tonight how many hours I've put in. It's quite a bit though.

I picked up the game 3 days ago with the game promo at best buy. I've only just horsed around with some of the classes in the tutorial part so far to see how things are but I'll be starting a play through real soon.

I've heard alot of good things about this game, and like you guys have said the fact that it is very hard. What classes are you guys starting with?

I'm not quite sure which one I want to start with. Everything I've read so far points to the royal class.
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

I started with the Knight (as I usually do haha). It's been pretty hard, but when worse comes to worse it seems like some bosses you can just cheap out with arrows I need to get the Talisman of God so I can use magic, after that it should be easier. I have like 10,000 old spice and fresh spices to use from the Tower of Latria i've been collecting lol. Might be a game to attempt again after passing it with a new class. I've been told that when you beat the game, you can start over with your current soul level making things easier.

Originally posted by Seanith
    I started with the Knight (as I usually do haha). It's been pretty hard, but when worse comes to worse it seems like some bosses you can just cheap out with arrows I need to get the Talisman of God so I can use magic, after that it should be easier. I have like 10,000 old spice and fresh spices to use from the Tower of Latria i've been collecting lol. Might be a game to attempt again after passing it with a new class. I've been told that when you beat the game, you can start over with your current soul level making things easier.
    Yeah you get to keep all your stuff, but the catch is that the game is even tougher.

That said, this game is really awesome. Easily sunk 60 hours into it, and if it weren't for school and work I'd be up past 100 hours no problem.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Tripen

Yeah you get to keep all your stuff, but the catch is that the game is even tougher.

That said, this game is really awesome. Easily sunk 60 hours into it, and if it weren't for school and work I'd be up past 100 hours no problem.
    Yep. Even the weak opponents take more damage the 2nd time around. The difficulty curve isn't nearly as extreme though since you know the placement & weaknesses of opponents.

I got this game and played it for a bit and its so confusing.
    I was doing the first level and I died on that big guy (not sure if hes a boss TBH).
    Then it didnt let me retry him, it took me to some other place.

The guide is terrible. I literally have no clue what to do in this game.
    What are the white ghosts and the red ghosts and stuff.

I play quite a few RPG's but not many that are more action oriented.

Feel free to add me on PSN: Achmat. I also play MW2 and Rock Band beatles online right now.

I also play borderlands and dragon age origins on pc so maybe thats why i havent given demons souls a fair chance yet