Quantcast
Wildwood Grill & Brewpub - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wildwood Grill & Brewpub

Default Wildwood Grill & Brewpub

Not sure if many on here frequented the restaurant or the pub downstairs but this place closed down as of this past Saturday, Dec 19.

We stopped in for a drink this past Friday and our bartender told us that it was her last shift as the place was closing the next day.

Apparently the lease was expiring and the owners couldnt renew it under favorable terms. Supposedly the owners of Wildwood are opening a new restaurant under a new name somewhere else in the city. In the current location, supposedly the owners of Mercato are opening a pizzaria that will use the wood fired oven that its in there now. (The smokey smell on the street near Wildwood always smelled great so hopefully that continues.)

It was a great restaurant upstairs and great pub with live music and good beer downstairs.Its too bad it closed. That end of 4th already lost a pub when the Blind Monk closed down a couple of years ago.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Balls! I really liked that place for an out of downtown lunch and for beers in the evenings.
    You can be sure the new place will cost more and have less atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Boooo. I really liked that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

My roommate nearly shit a brick when he found out "Cherry" beer was no more.. lol

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Sucks because Wildwood was a good place to go for a beer and a bite. Hopefully the owners find a good spot.

Blind Monk didn't close down. They just moved from busy 4th Street up north to Royal Oak. A move I'm sure they're regretting.

damn! where will I go for hepatitis now?
    JK - it was a good little spot - great homebrews and decent food

Thats right. I keep forgetting they moved but for me, it being in Royal Oak is as good as closed.

Originally posted by Ajay
    Sucks because Wildwood was a good place to go for a beer and a bite. Hopefully the owners find a good spot.

Blind Monk didn't close down. They just moved from busy 4th Street up north to Royal Oak. A move I'm sure they're regretting.

My Ride
    2002 Nissan Maxima

Originally posted by Ajay

The Royal Oak location was supposed to be a second location. Without going into details, the new landlords of the fourth street building wanted a ridiculous amount of money in the new lease. As a result, they were forced to shut the fourth street location down.
    Last edited by rm777; 12-22-2009 at 05:39 PM.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by rm777

Please do not make comments about a situation you have no idea about.

The Royal Oak location was supposed to be a second location. Without going into details, the new landlords of the fourth street building wanted a ridiculous amount of money in the new lease. As a result, they were forced to shut the fourth street location down.
    LOL, he was just trying to help someone out that asked about the Blind Monk and you bite his head off. So what if he was mis-informed? But seeing that you are "in the know," are the owners regretting closing their 1st location? Seems to me that Royal Oak's location != 4th St, and it's not as good.

My Ride
    '04 330CI, '05 RM 250

Bummer, that was a nice place... both upstairs and down.

My Ride
    2002 Nissan Maxima

Originally posted by npham

LOL, he was just trying to help someone out that asked about the Blind Monk and you bite his head off. So what if he was mis-informed? But seeing that you are "in the know," are the owners regretting closing their 1st location? Seems to me that Royal Oak's location != 4th St, and it's not as good.
    See my edit above. After rereading my post, it was harsh. apologies.

Like I said, they never really had a choice. The new lease rate was cost prohibitive. Therefore they had to shut down. Pottery Barn also offered more money for the location. If the lease rate was fair, they definitely would have kept the location open. Alas, they had no choice but to close. Somewhat of a similar situation to Wildwood, from what I gather.

There were also some legal complications that resulted in two years of litigation.

My Ride

SHITTY!

I knew this place closed but it was where i got my kegs from.

Are there any other beer afficionados here who knows if there are any other brewpubs in Calgary who will fill a 20L pin lock Coke keg?

I built my entire beer tap/fridge system around being able to keep two of these kegs in the fridge and going to a more standard sized keg would mean that i would only be able to fit one keg in the fridge. Which would suck because i recently upgraded to a really nice stainless steel, counter mounted stainless steel 2 tap tower and I always loved having two different beers on tap.

See my edit above. After rereading my post, it was harsh. apologies.

Like I said, they never really had a choice. The new lease rate was cost prohibitive. Therefore they had to shut down. Pottery Barn also offered more money for the location. If the lease rate was fair, they definitely would have kept the location open. Alas, they had no choice but to close. Somewhat of a similar situation to Wildwood, from what I gather.

There were also some legal complications that resulted in two years of litigation.
    This.

By the sounds of it, either you were/are a regular, or know the owner(s) personally of the Monk, I miss the 4th St. location and never been to the one at Royal Oak, good times at that pub and good people too.

As for the Wildwood, I know several people that are currently heartbroken with them closing...

My Ride
    2002 Nissan Maxima

Originally posted by Clever

This.

By the sounds of it, either you were/are a regular, or know the owner(s) personally of the Monk, I miss the 4th St. location and never been to the one at Royal Oak, good times at that pub and good people too.

As for the Wildwood, I know several people that are currently heartbroken with them closing...
    There is something in the works for another Blind Monk location downtown. I can't say much more. But I will keep you guys up to date as to when things move further along.

Yes, the people that own the Blind Monk, Brett, Andrew, and Spyder are excellent people. They understand that you can run a bar/restaurant/lounge without gouging people. As opposed to most places in and around the downtown core, with some exceptions of course.

My Ride

As long as the hop in brew is still open it'll be ok.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Haha. I like having the monk in royal oak. Nice and close to home.I also heard there is another place in the works for the owners of the monk in a downtown location.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

There is something in the works for another Blind Monk location downtown. I can't say much more. But I will keep you guys up to date as to when things move further along.

Yes, the people that own the Blind Monk, Brett, Andrew, and Spyder are excellent people. They understand that you can run a bar/restaurant/lounge without gouging people. As opposed to most places in and around the downtown core, with some exceptions of course.
    Hmmmm interesting, I thought Andrew wasn't part of the Monk anymore. Brett and Spyder, are shit heads, lol.

Originally posted by Crymson
    As long as the hop in brew is still open it'll be ok.
    Great beer at the Hop, a good friend of mine works there as well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Love the HIB.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?