Quantcast
Christmas – naming conventions (Happy Holidays, etc.) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas – naming conventions (Happy Holidays, etc.)

Default Christmas – naming conventions (Happy Holidays, etc.)

Spun off from the random picture thread, there are some people who think it should be "Happy Holidays" (apparently to please those who insist upon political correctness and are prudes), and some who want it to be "Merry Christmas" (apparently because they feel the need to trumpet their religion).

I personally couldn't give a flying fuck, but apparently some do.

So what's it gonna be?

or

Go nuts.

My Ride
    Lease

I call it my: "Hey sweetheart, you shouldn't drive drunk, let me give you a ride home" day

Getting pissed about people saying 'Happy Holidays' is just as pathetic and sad as getting pissed about people 'Merry Christmas', so I am part of the 'call it whatever you want to call it' philosophy. I'll say Merry Christmas, if somebody says Happy Holidays back, I don't really give a shit.

But the pagan in me wishes to start saying 'have a Salacious Solstice' so I might just go with that from now on, if only to throw people off.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I just say Merry Christmas out of habit.. I could really care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

Fuck 'em, it's "Merry Christmas"!!! A holiday first celebrated by Christians to commemorate the birth of Jesus.

You wear your turbans, I can say, Merry Christmas.

End of Story.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-15-2019 at 02:25 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Fuck 'em, it's "Merry Christmas"!!! A holiday first celebrated by Christians to commemorate the birth of Jesus.

You wear your turbans, I can say, Merry Christmas.

End of Story.
    This is the problem a lot of people have with catholics, you (we, I guess) think the world started with Christ. December 25 has been celebrated as a day of worship for over 5000, the earliest I can recall is the Egyptian sun god Promorphus or whatever his name was. His birth was said to be on December 25 as he was the sun and its representation of moving 1 degree higher in the sky on December 25, starting longer days.

Anyway, I fucking hate people that have to say Happy Holidays......what if it isn't a holiday? What if I have to work? What if I'm stuck at home and can't take a holiday? The point is, it's Christmas season and whether or not you celebrate it, it's happening around you, no matter if you're Jewish, Christian or alien. I don't believe in God, I don't go to church, but I'm still smart enough to realize that Christmas is happening in my life right now and I would like it to be merry for you and for me. So I say to people, "Have a merry Christmas" because it's Christmas right now and I hope they have a merry one. Pretty simple concept.

Same thing if some Chinese guy says to me, "Happy Chinese New Year!" in a few weeks. I won't be upset about it, it will be Chinese New Year and he's hoping I have a happy one so it's fitting. Nothing wrong with that.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    Lexus IS

Originally posted by Mar
    This is the problem a lot of people have with catholics, you (we, I guess) think the world started with Christ. December 25 has been celebrated as a day of worship for over 5000, the earliest I can recall is the Egyptian sun god Promorphus or whatever his name was. His birth was said to be on December 25 as he was the sun and its representation of moving 1 degree higher in the sky on December 25, starting longer days.
    The other problem with people who get all defensive about not calling Christmas "Christmas" anymore is that they blame the wrong people.

For the most part it isn't other religions who detest the greeting, the word and the season of Christmas - for a lot of them are quite tolerant, believe or not. You've been watching too much Fox and other anti multiculturalists if you think all other religions are out to get you. Seriously. I have yet to meet one coloured person of a non-Christian religion who got offended by a "Merry Christmas" greeting. I would accuse a lot of people who would disagree with me in this assessment as just having arrived at their position from mere hearsay. Prove me wrong.

Anyway, you want to know who really is anti Christmas?

Those ultra Politically correct atheists, agnostics who, for the most part are white, mid to upper class, and always get offended on behalf of everyone else.

...which to me is very ironic considering that for all their anti religion and anti worship, these people LOOOOVE Halloween.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by randedge

Those ultra Politically correct atheists, agnostics who, for the most part are white, mid to upper class, and always get offended on behalf of everyone else.

...which to me is very ironic considering that for all their anti religion and anti worship, these people LOOOOVE Halloween.
    Really? I'm very much an atheist, and I've always said Merry Christmas because that's what the damn holiday is called. I'm not following any religious meaning behind the holiday, but that doesn't mean I feel the need to give it some other name. In fact, all of the atheists I know say Merry Christmas as well.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Really? I'm very much an atheist, and I've always said Merry Christmas because that's what the damn holiday is called. I'm not following any religious meaning behind the holiday, but that doesn't mean I feel the need to give it some other name. In fact, all of the atheists I know say Merry Christmas as well.

I already posted in the random picture thread, but I found it amusing that both the Herald and the Sun have in huge printing - Merry Christmas.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Yule-tide was the original event from the Pagans. "About AD 730, the English historian Bede wrote that the Anglo-Saxon calendar included the months geola or giuli corresponding with either modern December or December and January.[6] He gave December 25 as the first day of the heathen year and wrote that the Anglo-Saxons celebrated all night long to honor the Germanic divine "mothers""

Christmas is a non-religous event for many people - I'm atheist, proud of it (religion is for the weak, said it in many other threads), and I celebrate the original non-religous holiday.

My Ride
    Lexus IS

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Really? I too am an atheist and the reason I mention that is from personal experience: I've always been a rarity in that I can entertain religions celebrations and practices that are of significance to people. I tried joining clubs and groups usually going by the many names but centering around the notion of atheism and agnosticism. Long story short, it soured on me because it's really one anti faith based intellectual masturbation. While I love intellectual masturbation, I don't go for putting down people's beliefs for the sake of putting down people's beliefs. I mean, that's what it all comes down to really for me - people celebrating things because they feel good about it and that's cool so long as they aren't hurting anyone else. If anything, Christmas, as celebrated by Christians, actually brings out the best in them, what with all the message of peace, love, giving etc etc.

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    I just say Merry Christmas out of habit.. I could really care less.
    Me too. I'm not really religious, but all of the sudden, if I say "Merry Christmas", people look at me like I'm pushing Jesus on them or something.

I'm not really comfortable pushing Atheism with "Happy Holidays", either.

So it's left everyone in an uncomfortable state.

Thanks, atheists.

Happy Holidays is a good blanket wish - there are a multitude or religious and non-religious events that take place from the beginning of December to the middle of January. Christmas is just one of those days.

I think on a professional and corporate level - Happy Holidays is the best greeting. it covers everything without singling out or excluding anyone.

On a personal level, different story - either is fine. If someone gets offended that you said 'Merry Christmas' and they don't celebrate it, they are just being a dick. Same with people who get offended by people not saying Merry Christmas.

Christmas is a tough one because it is both religious and non-religious. I have Muslim friends that celebrate Christmas in the gift-giving way - not the Nativity scene way. Merry Christmas works for them since they do take part in Christmas.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I tried joining clubs and groups usually going by the many names but centering around the notion of atheism and agnosticism. Long story short, it soured on me because it's really one anti faith based intellectual masturbation.
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I can easily see how having an atheist "club" would breed that kind of attitude. To me, belief or nonbelief is a personal thing and shouldn't need groups or meetings or any BS like that.

This came up yesterday at a store with my boss, who is a cantankerous old bastard:

Brown girl: Merry Christmas!

White girl: Happy Holidays

Boss: What the hell? You say Happy Holidays, and that Hindu girl says Merry Christmas, what is wrong with you?

White girl: I'm Jewish

Brown girl: I'm Christian

Me: +

Originally posted by scat19

Yule-tide was the original event from the Pagans. "About AD 730, the English historian Bede wrote that the Anglo-Saxon calendar included the months geola or giuli corresponding with either modern December or December and January.[6] He gave December 25 as the first day of the heathen year and wrote that the Anglo-Saxons celebrated all night long to honor the Germanic divine "mothers""

Christmas is a non-religous event for many people - I'm atheist, proud of it (religion is for the weak, said it in many other threads), and I celebrate the original non-religous holiday.
    Original non-religious holiday?

Christmas now can be seen as a time of goodwill, giving, charity etc. with no religious ties aside from the name, but the original holiday (or 'holy-day') celebrated Gods, not exactly an atheist extravaganza.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

I'm not really religious, but all of the sudden, if I say "Merry Christmas", people look at me like I'm pushing Jesus on them or something.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

NO, I really don't agree wuth "Merry Christmas" when its all about shopping and racking up credit cards and gettiing wasted at "Christmas" parties when people dont have a clue about Jesus, where he was born, how is was born, his values, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast