Quantcast
help! computer issues! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: help! computer issues!

Default help! computer issues!

Im having an issue with my computer!

The HD cuts out intermittently when windows is running... as if i pulled the plug out of the wall and stuck it back in.... ive had the HD and power supply checked(tried a 400 ps too), and theyre both fine! Ive updated the BIOS, and all the MB drivers, still does it... anyone have any clue what might cause this? It only seems to do it when the HD is doing a lot of work...

could the video card be the problem? Its only started doing it since i put the new HD in, and if it matters its a maxtor 120g, i also had a WD 120g, it did the same thing

help!

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

You are probably overheating. Modern comps will often shutdown if the proc or the ps gets too hot. Open the thing and make sure all your fans are running and heatsinks are on.

Edit: You can test this by opening the case and pointing a big room fan at it while running - see if it lasts longer/locks up.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

i disabled the automatic shutdown in the BIOS, and the panels are off ech side... so i think thats ok... but the thing always crashes when i transfer form one disk to another! I tried using a different channel for the HD's and new IDE cable as well

Hmmmmm this one has me a bit stumped, I will pass this around and see if I can figure it out.
    I have heard of something like this but I cant remember the details or the solution.

I've never heard of hard disks shutting down when there's a lot of activity. Usually your computer will shut down your hard disks automatically after no activity... Maybe you should just give up and pay for a brand new one. Save yourself some headache. Or call the hard disk tech support - maybe they've come across this problem before.

My Ride

Can't be the drive tho, cause he said he tried a different disk and it did the same thing? Actually, I'm not sure wtf he means, since he said it started after the new disk, but it did it with old?

could the video card be the problem? Its only started doing it since i put the new HD in, and if it matters its a maxtor 120g, i also had a WD 120g, it did the same thing
    And yes, the vid card overheating has forced reboots before - never seen a shutdown...

I'd do a format/windows install (slave the other disk and put all your crap on it).

Khyron

i bought a new HD, and after formatting this is what happens.. my old one used to to the blue screen every once in a while but not this! Ive tried 2 new hd's with the same result

My Ride

Well, its either defective MB, or heat. Humor me, point the biggest floor/ocillating fan you have at the computer insides (even if you lean the comp against a wall), and see if it runs longer before crashing.

Otherwise it sounds like your only other option is a new MB (or call their support...hahah)

What's the motherboard/processor anyway?

Khyron

My Ride
    2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring

Is your computer shutting down???

i fixed it.. thanks khyron!! something wasnt installed right i guess, cleaned everything, reassembled, problem = gone!!!

If the problem continues, it is a problem with the WD 120G drive. I was having this problem with the hard drives that I use. I found that WD hard drives that were 40G to 120G were being dropped from and IDE system after a length of time of error free operation. The problem is a result of idle acoustic noise in desktop drives. To fix this problem you need to run a simple western digital utility to turn off a single bit in the drives run-time configuration. Disabling of this feature will NOT impact normal system operations. The utility can be found at western disigtal's web site, or at:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#raidno3ware