Quantcast
Need some wetsanding and power polishing done? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Need some wetsanding and power polishing done?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Need some wetsanding and power polishing done?

I had one of my dads idiot friends paint some parts of my car, and now everytime I look at it I get pissed off all over again. All the panels that were painted have some orange peel in them. Can someone recommend me an individual who can do this for me who won't charge me an arm and a leg to do it?

I am no autobody pro, but I inquired at an autobody shop about this a long time ago and the guy told me that it takes as much as 5 years off the life of the paint to wet sand it.
    Especially if it doesn't have a heavy enough clear coat that will allow it to be wet sanded.

This may be false, but I will say it anyway:
    I think you will have a VERY hard time finding someone willing to touch paint that was done by a garage mechanic as you describe it.

Usually only the person that painted the car can be responsible for this, otherwise, if they go too far and burn though they will be face with an even bigger problem.

Further, if it is as serious as you say, a respray is usually the best option, maybe even cheaper option.

If you post pictures close up with macro setting I bet one of the experienced autobody members of beyond can give you more accurate advice.

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

^^ That's all very true
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    S2000/Ram1500/katana 600

agreed, I did that in a bodyshop for years, and can do it with my eyes closed, but not for a painter I don't know. Burning through means a mandatory re-paint.

My Ride
    Blue boy

It looks like shit and don't have money to pay for a re spray right now

You'd first want to use a paint gauge to see how much clear you hvae to work with. If it's like most spray jobs, you may not have enough and wetsanding the orange peel out will remove too much and cause clearcoat failure in a short matter of time.

I wouldn't trust anybody who'd be willing to just take the panels and sand them without knowing how thick the original spray was.

It's usually best to live with orange peel and to use somebody who can spray without needing to sand (or only has to sand minimally)

It is pretty rare to find somebody who can spray without causing orange peel. 2EFNFAST is right though, most of cars would be better off with just living with the orange peel, but I guess if you have a show car you might want a perfect finish.

IMO if you are going to build a car just for shows, it would be better to use a catalyzed single stage paint. Easier to sand, easier to repair, easier to have an orange peel free finish.

On a total side note paint gauges are sometimes a shot in the dark on repaired finishes. Even the Pro Posi which is supposed to be able to tell the difference between layers of paint is sometimes wrong.

Originally posted by sneek
    It is pretty rare to find somebody who can spray without causing orange peel. 2EFNFAST is right though, most of cars would be better off with just living with the orange peel, but I guess if you have a show car you might want a perfect finish.

IMO if you are going to build a car just for shows, it would be better to use a catalyzed single stage paint. Easier to sand, easier to repair, easier to have an orange peel free finish.
    It's about as rare as finding a bodyshop that knows how to properly use a rotary and not butcher polishing a car - which I suppose, is quite rare

Btw, you still want your single stage paint if the person wants to go white? Let's see how easy that titanimum oxide pigment is to repair