Quantcast
German cars dissapoint-VW CEO admits Toyota better than VW - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: German cars dissapoint-VW CEO admits Toyota better than VW

My Ride
    AE92GZE, Legacy BL, Yaris

Default German cars dissapoint-VW CEO admits Toyota better than VW

VW CEO Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder admitted to AutoBILD that "in technical terms, Toyota is better then us. But not just us."

Look here.

My Ride
    S/C 03 eclipse, 00 accord, 96 shadow, 06 TJ Sport

I could of told you that. lol

My Ride
    WRX

Originally posted by 3g4me
    I could of told you that. lol

My Ride
    hearts on fire diamond engagement ring.

Solid Gino......

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Ha ha .. because a German car owner is way more pickier then a 55 yr old chinese lady who drives a 4 cyclinder Camry !
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

jap cars have always been more reliable look at any car reviews, toyota, honda, & nissan are always on top.

yes... but with a european car.. you dont have to look like you are driving an albino-ass-monkey to work

the japanese and americans have a long way to come in terms of estetically pleasing cars (with the exception of a FEW)
    Last edited by sputnik; 12-03-2003 at 02:56 PM.

as big a nissan fan i am...they kinda gone down the tubes in quality lately.

thats why my next car is a toyota!

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by oasis
    jap cars have always been more reliable look at any car reviews, toyota, honda, & nissan are always on top.
    I thought Porsche has been # 1 for quite awhile.

Originally posted by Hakkola

I thought Porsche has been # 1 for quite awhile.
    Depends who rates them... JD Power has had VW on top for a while in certain classes

Originally posted by sputnik
    yes... but with a european car.. you dont have to look like you are driving an albino-ass-monkey to work

the japanese and americans have a long way to come in terms of estetically pleasing cars (with the exception of a FEW)
    yeah who wants a car that runs?!

your right, but the euro cars have a bit of catch up work to do when it comes to the reliability and/or bang for the buck of a jap car.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

Originally posted by C4S
    Ha ha .. because a German car owner is way more pickier then a 55 yr old chinese lady who drives a 4 cyclinder Camry !
    Now thats reaching!

Depends who rates them... JD Power has had VW on top for a while in certain classes
    Like what?

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I think it is hard to compare, I am sure a Toyota Echo has less problem then a BMW 7 series or Mecedes S class, (they are probaby 10 times more compicated, and oh ! 10 times more money too) and a basic BMW 320i has probaby less problem then a Lexus LX470 ... ( this case, japanese one is more complicated )

Anyway, there are good and bad cars in German cars, and good and bad cars in Japanese car too !
    But the fact is, people still think this way:

European > Japanese > American

And we can not changed it, at least not for the next 20 yrs !
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Hmmmm....this is a neat thread. Toyota/lexus may be reliable, but they are ugly facsimilies of german cars...weak!!

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Don't really have a comment for this thread... except for...

"GERMAN FOR LIFE"!!!!!

My Ride

vw's aren't really well built. my aunt and uncle had a new golf tdi and they spent more on repairs than they did buying it, and when people talk about bag for your buck they never talk about luxury, only performance and price

My Ride
    99 EK9 Hatch

Originally posted by TurboCarrera
    vw's aren't really well built. my aunt and uncle had a new golf tdi and they spent more on repairs than they did buying it, and when people talk about bag for your buck they never talk about luxury, only performance and price
    Really... Vw's are notorious for being well built, they probably just got a bad car

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

I was going to reply to this earlier, then I changed my mind. Now I've changed my mind again :tongue:

On the one hand, I wouldn't put too much stock in a survey like the one that was conducted. For proof, look at the responses in this thread or any other thread. The vast majority of people that I know feel that their car is their favourite and their manufacturer is their favourite for a multitude of reasons. And why not - in recent history, all cars have had quality concerns (the japanese cars had quality concerns in the 70's and 80's, the american cars had concerns in the 90's) - today however, everyone's standards (car manufacturers included) have been raised to the point that I think pretty much all of the companies are putting out great vehicles. There isn't that quality gap anymore between the econoboxes and the luxury cars, or imports and domestics. The price gap is still there though so only a select few get to drive bimmers and benz's, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd be so far down the list - they simply don't have enough drivers out there to represent in a survey.

On the other hand though, its pretty disturbing that the CEO of VW feels that they can't compete with Toyota quality-wise. If he feels he can't get the company up to other car's standards, he should step down and make way for a CEO who can do it. Frankly, I have a few bones to pick with him in the first place - he's moving the VW brand up-market, but they already have a luxury line (audi) which is essentially re-badged VW's. If they move VW into a luxury market, what room will there be for Audi?

Anyways, I think the article shows the main weakness of VW is not their cars but who's in charge of the company.

My Ride
    94' Terd

Originally posted by 1badPT
    Anyways, I think the article shows the main weakness of VW is not their cars but who's in charge of the company.

i think the direction the company is taking is incredible...

first of building a car that can compete with some japanese performance cars (R32)

then the phaeton which competes with BMW 5-series

and the tourag (sp?) obviously to compete with other luxery suv's

now a vw lover can own the bmw they've always wanted but without the 100k price tag...

PLUS they still over their highly economical TDI, Golf, Jetta series which makes VW an very well rounded company. I think they're trying to get people to look at VW differently, and want to show they can compete with the best manufacters in the world...
    Last edited by DUBBED; 12-03-2003 at 04:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast