Quantcast
Ever Beened Scammed by UofC Campus Parking? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever Beened Scammed by UofC Campus Parking?

My Ride
    Lexus IS

Default Ever Beened Scammed by UofC Campus Parking?

Ever Been Scammed by U of C Campus Parking?

I have!
    Just recently, I discovered that I have been getting a consistent double charge everytime I used a credit car to pay for parking in Lot 32.

I was so mad at this discovery that I took it upon myself to write a strongly worded letter to U of C parking.

In case you were wondering, here is the same exact message I sent them:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calgary, AB, Canada
    XXXXXXX
    XXXXXXX

21 September 2009

Subject: Double Charges using Pay Lot 32

Parking and Traffic Services
    Olympic Volunteer Centre
    1833 Crowchild Trail NW
    Calgary, AB
    T2M 4S7
    Phone: 220-6771 / 220-6772

To Whom it may Concern:

During this spring-summer I was given the opportunity to participate in a program which required me to be often at the University after hours. As such, I had no option but to utilize pay lot 32. And since there was no person on the booth, I was forced to use credit card payment.

On both my Visa and my Mastercard, I was DOUBLE CHARGED CONSISTENTLY. Proof of this lies in the fact that charges occur on the SAME DATE. One point I was even triple charged. The pattern is quite staggering in that it actually goes back to a few MONTHS and who knows how much further back.

I have contacted my Mastercard and they assured me that the problem is not on their end, yet they were kind enough to reimburse me the double chargeS - note the plural. Still, they did inform me that they can only go back to 90 days and beyond that I am on my own. From early 2009 to today, the early days of fall, has well beyond 90 days and I do wonder how much money I truly lost. I have yet to speak to Visa, but no doubt they are going to say the same thing.

But, it's not all about the dollars.

I am very irate and incredibly mad now that I realize that this has been going on for a while. I cannot imagine the cumulative amount that the U of C Parking and Traffic services has skimmed off unsuspecting students whenever I think about the sheer number of patrons as well as the instances when a victim just simply shrugged the double charge as an honest mistake that they would not pursue. Well, I for one cannot and will not let this one go. While I do acknowledge that I should have been more diligent poring over my credit card statements, this kind of thing should not have to happen. I shouldn't have to see a double charge which I would have to devote time and effort to have rectified. Time and energy are things that a busy student just simply cannot spare. As well, in my defense, I second guessed myself initially in that I may have used the card for back to back dates. Only now, when I really took a look at the dates do I realize that I was being double charged for ONE DAY.

Just as I have said: It was a CONSISTENT and REPEATING DOUBLE CHARGE that really makes me question whether this was even an honest mistake. I can assure U of C parking services that I would never park there twice in the same day nor would I pay for parking twice on my own.

In closing I leave you with this: members of the local press and the next chain of authority (namely Student Admin) have been contacted regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX
    Irate Student
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go.

In Gist, I have been receiving a CONSISTENT DOUBLE CHARGE everytime I pay with a credit card using my visa on their machine located on Lot 32.

I think it's a scam. If not a scam, it's an inexcusable mistake.

So anywho, have you been scammed this way? If so, post here and maybe with enough people, we can fucking retaliate legally or somehow show them we ain't gonna take it no mo.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I parked in Lots 10/11/13 on a pretty regular basis throughout the summer and I just checked the last 3 months worth of credit card statements...everything seems as it should and there are no double charges.

Perhaps it was just that one single machine at lot 32 that was not working correctly?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

how does someone go several months without noticing double/triple charges on their credit card...?

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Harvey needed his pension paid for somehow

Seriously though, good to see you take up the fight, hopefully they play nice with you, or I read about them in the paper soon.

To be honest, as twisted as it sounds, I hope it's the second one.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Lexus IS

Originally posted by colinxx235
    how does someone go several months without noticing double/triple charges on their credit card...?
    in my defense, I second guessed myself initially in that I may have used the card for back to back dates. Only now, when I really took a look at the dates do I realize that I was being double charged for ONE DAY.
    It was a very busy summer. I was at work 8 hours a day, and then doing shit at the U, maybe... another 8 hours.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

subscribed

My Ride
    GTI

I thought I was getting double charged last year, but looking closely at my statements I noticed there were as many charges as days I went to school. What seemed to be happening was that they were processing the payments not necessarily on days they were recieved, but randomly.

I would park every day of the week, but my statement would show two charges on tuesday and none on monday. You may not be getting double charged.

I'll take another look at my statements tomorrow to double check.

luxor Guest

Originally posted by Hakkola
    I thought I was getting double charged last year, but looking closely at my statements I noticed there were as many charges as days I went to school. What seemed to be happening was that they were processing the payments not necessarily on days they were recieved, but randomly.

I would park every day of the week, but my statement would show two charges on tuesday and none on monday. You may not be getting double charged.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

This is true, I think they changed the system now so that it calls for every authorization, and takes an eternity. I always thought about using a maxed out card or something before to see if it would work, but never got around to it.

Now I have a parking spot in Science Theaters, so the only thing I worry about is god damnn nOObs in their J-bodies with fart cannons setting off my alarm while in class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    R50

Yeah it's not uncommon for transactions to be approved on the fly. Then processed later at the end of the night, during the early hours of the morning (ie. next day).

My Ride
    Lexus IS

Whoa whoa....

Really? I feel like a tool now being all irate and shit. I mean, seriously, it felt so heavy realizing that there's a possibility that I was being scammed. In any case, I'll let them explain.

My Ride
    has three pedals.

Next time I wouldn't be so rude in your letter, doesn't get you anywhere. And scam isn't the word I'd use....

Originally posted by DonJuan

I always thought about using a maxed out card or something before to see if it would work, but never got around to it.

My Ride

Originally posted by DonJuan

This is true, I think they changed the system now so that it calls for every authorization, and takes an eternity. I always thought about using a maxed out card or something before to see if it would work, but never got around to it.

On the old system, it would just store data and I know a ton of students used canceled credit cards not belonging to them, which is probably why the system was changed to authorize on the spot. If you used a maxed out card of your own, it would still get tracked to you so that would be kinda pointless.

My Ride
    IS350

Did Mastercard actually credit you? Seems like they would have every tool necessary to tell if it was just an authorization issue. Damn...that's crazy

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by colinxx235

in calgary "theres al ot of money in the city" where we all live off credit cards.

I have somehow incurred 220$ of tickets which i did not intend to pay. I just recieved a letter saying they put a hold on my academic account.

Can anyone explain to me how this is possible?
    heres the thing, the car is registered to my dad..one can only assume that parking services 'guessed' it was me without having any real proof?

Should I not be able to walk in there and tell them to release my account saying ''it is not me driving the car''?
    Last edited by colt22; 09-24-2009 at 04:04 PM.

My Ride
    2006 G35 Coupe

Maybe they matched your dad's driver's info with your address and last name?

The hold means one of two things: Can't register for classes or you can't graduate until it's paid!

My Ride

Originally posted by colt22
    Well I haven't been paying for parking for months and incurred 220$ of tickets which i did not intend to pay. I just recieved a letter saying they put a hold on my academic account.

Can anyone explain to me how this is possible?
    heres the thing, the car is registered to my dad..one can only assume that parking services 'guessed' it was me without having any real proof?

Should I not be able to walk in there and tell them to release my account saying ''it is not me driving the car''?
    You would probably have to have a good reason why your "Dad" parks at UofC daily. If your Dad pays your fees his name will be all over your account info so they probably put two and two together. Since he pays for your fees and car anyways, just ask Daddy to pay for parking so the rest of us who actually pay can find spots.

My dad doesn't pay my fees fool...in fact the u of c pays my fees, through scholarship.
    Anyways, got back form parking service, said it wasnt me driving the car and now have 0.00 outstanding balance and zero holds, there was no way they could charge me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast