Quantcast
Yerba Mate - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yerba Mate

Default Yerba Mate

One of my housemates got some of the stuff and told me that it really helped him concentrate for exams. So I've been drinking it for a few days and it seems to really work well, though I don't know if that's just the placebo effect.

Anyway, I know of some people who drink it on a regular basis and swear by it. Anyone know the truth behind this stuff? I looked it up on Google but a lot of the places with informatoin about it are just trying to sell it.

My Ride
    Highlander

it a herb that supposedly increases your concentration, this along with ginkgo biloba and lecthin is supposed to be good for the brain

Originally posted by Melinda
    What is it?
    It's a tea with South American origins that supposedly does a whole bunch of stuff... improves concentration, helps in weight loss, detoxifies your blood, increases the speed at which your liver regenerates... and the list goes on.

I drank some of it and studied for almost 6 hours non stop... and anyone anyone who knows me would call bullshit on that, but hey... it happened

I'm just wonder what other people's experiences with it are and how much of the the claims are ture.

My Ride
    '99 Civic HB, '95 Odyssey

It's from Argentina and it's a tea. They drink it like crazy down there and it's a social think kind of like coffee shops are here. Mate refers to the gourd that they use to drink Yerba from (I think, though I might have that backwards). I used to drink it but I hated the flavour so I have my can of the stuff away. It's a stimulant just like coffee so the effects are similar and I found the buzz I got from it diminished over time.

Greg

My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

It's not just from Argentina, they drink it everywhere in South America. I don't think it really works like an energy drink though, my mom drinks the stuff every night and she never has trouble sleeping or anything. You're probably just feeling the placebo effect.

Mate does refer to the serving and instruments you use to drink it, and Yerba is just spanish for "herb"; so Yerba Mate would just be referring to the herb.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Yang, hook me up!!!! I can't study for more than 30 minutes at a time.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

haha we got soo much of that stuff in this house. I can probably serve all of beyond from it. but it does wonders!

Does anyone know of any bad side effects to it? I hear it has nicotine in it and can be addictive, but I haven't seen that on the net yet.

My Ride
    Highlander

Where can you get the stuff? I'd like to find out what it is that makes it so special

My Ride
    a wrx.

lol wtf i just drink vanilla coke/nestea/pink lemonade in copious amounts to help me study.

My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

Here's a site I found on it:

http://www.noborders.net/mate/what.html

If you click on "Where to get it" the picture they have is exactly the same packaging they have here. You can pick it up at almost any latin marketplace, or bakery.

I drink that stuff religiously. You can buy it from an Argentinian bakery in the Abbeydale strip mall 2 doors down from the Mac's convenience store. They have a variety of flavors like mint, mango, orange, lemon, etc. Great stuff. Better than coffee or tea imo.

Cheers,

Gridetls

My Ride
    pedals

I think that while the drink is drunk all over south america, it originated in Argentina and is most religiously used there. they drink it as a ritual. a certain way of preparing it and drinking it and what not. But dont take my word for it, take the word of the argentinian that explained it to me! haha

My Ride
    pedals

also, spainish use the word mate to describe tea. like mate de coca (literally 'tea of coca'). That stuff is strange, i felt almost no effect but it is supposed to help wiht altitude sickness...

My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

Originally posted by hjr
    also, spainish use the word mate to describe tea. like mate de coca (literally 'tea of coca'). That stuff is strange, i felt almost no effect but it is supposed to help wiht altitude sickness...
    I've never heard anyone use mate to describe tea, and I'm Chilean. I'm pretty sure mate just refers to the plant.

My Ride
    rsx-s

What other places can you get this stuff from, coffee seems to work for me for about an hour, after that i'm hungry and tired

Hey can someone tell me what the price for Yerba Mate is in Calgary?

Here in Kingston it's $10.75 / 500g. I want to get enough to last my parents half a year when I get back to Calgary, but if it's more expensive there I might as well buy it all here. Thanks.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

What do I use to filter out this tea junk?

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Where did you buy it from
    and to gpomp question maybe a strainer? or something like that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast