Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolve Furnishings review

My Ride
    my bike

Default Revolve Furnishings review

Revolve Furnishings
    7070 11 Street SE
    Calgary AB, T2H 2W8

We bought a sofa and loveseat set from them last summer, and like a lot of their furniture it's custom order from overseas. We were told to anticipate a delivery of about 3-4 months, and true to their word they were delivered in the time frame promised and set up in our living room.

It's a fairly modern set with flat armrests that measure about a foot wide. To us this was considered a big purchase, but being that we could see this lasting us for a long time in our new home we splurged and spend $4500 for the pair.

We keep the sofa with the back to the window so in order to close the blinds we have to reach over it. Sometimes I kneel on the seat to reach the blinds, sometimes i kneel on the armrest. Well this last time I did, something gave way and I could hear a crack and my knee went through the plywood (i'm assuming) underneath the leather and cushion. The leather is intact but you can clearly feel where the wood broke. I contacted the store about this, they said they would send someone out to look at it and assess the problem because it couldn't be determined by taking pictures.

After all was said and done, they want $200 to fix the damage plus $89 each way for pick up and delivery unless I can bring it to their depot. In their opinion it's considered normal wear and tear so it's not covered under their warranty. It is unreasonable to believe a company should or would stand behind their products for a reasonable amount of time?

I just wanted to share my now negative review of this furniture store. Anybody have any thoughts or care to share their opinion? Is it my fault for being careless? Are they being unfair in asking us to pay for pick up and delivery on top of the $200 for repairs?

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

I don't think you were being careless at all. However, I wouldn't expect to get the store to fix the damage for free. How long has it been? If you were days or weeks into ownership, I would totally expect them to. Months....then they can wiggle out of it easily.

I'd be pretty pissed off though. I've never even had a $200 piece of IKEA furniture break on me yet. For $4500 I would certainly hope for some recourse.

Yeah unless they're using particle board you should be able to stand/kneel on the armrest without it breaking.

I was checking out Revolve when I was looking for living room furniture 3 years ago and thought their stuff seemed slightly flimsy. I ended up getting a sectional from Nordesign instead for that exact reason... it was $3500 and the one from Revolve was in the upper-$2k range from what I remember.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Yeah we have a $9000 couch we ordered from them a few years ago, and the color on one of the armrests is comming out or the leather. Other pieces of furniture from them seem solid though.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Yeah unless they're using particle board you should be able to stand/kneel on the armrest without it breaking.

I was checking out Revolve when I was looking for living room furniture 3 years ago and thought their stuff seemed slightly flimsy. I ended up getting a sectional from Nordesign instead for that exact reason... it was $3500 and the one from Revolve was in the upper-$2k range from what I remember.
    This exactly.... Revolve's stuff looked great, but was built cheaper than Ikea stuff at times!

Sadly, wear and tear would only cover manufacturers defects - you snapping an arm is the same as you chipping the leg by hitting it with a vacuum cleaner - you didn't do it on purpose, but you still did it.

My Ride

I like revolve, but i'm going to go to nordesign to get my next sectional. So much selection and for a bit more $$ it seems you get alot more quality.

revolve has been very good for fixing things for us; they came and replaced an entire table for a 1" scratch, and replaced chairs that seemed a little flimsy about 6 months after the purchase

Originally posted by Crymson
    I like revolve, but i'm going to go to nordesign to get my next sectional. So much selection and for a bit more $$ it seems you get alot more quality.
    Yeah man, I got my sectional, dining table and all my chairs and bar stools from Nordesign. 3 years later and everything is rock solid. Not one thing to complain about.

Oh, and another positive from my Nordesign dealing:

The sectional I ordered was going to be about 6-10 weeks delivery. I told them the delivery is an issue due to my situation (recently got back to Calgary from uni, moving out of the parent's place, I have no furniture in the meantime) and the saleswoman said "No problem, we can give you a loaner couch."

I thought we'd be getting a shitty couch, but it was better than milk crates. I was happily surprised when the loaner couch got there... it was just a sofa (not a sectional), but it was in immaculate condition and was way nicer than what I was expecting for a loaner (leather, nice build quality).

They delivered the loaner, and when the couch came they came to pick up the loaner and deliver/setup the sectional.

I didn't like the attitude I got from the staff at Revolve.

We ended up over at Sojourn and did a custom couch, BDI coffee table, custom dining room table, end tables, carpets and spent ~19k. I will go back to Sojourn any day especially after seeing the quality of furnishings they are selling.

As far as fixing the damaged sofa, I think it would depend on the amount of time that has passed..

My Ride
    Bicycle

Revolve has the style but not the quality. If the owner source the same way as his previous furniture venture, chances are they are all made in a sweat shop in China.

But then again, what isn't these days.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-03-2010 at 07:26 PM.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Ya most of their stuff is from China now. They used to carry products from Italy but they changed their business model. Who did you talk too there? I know somebody in management so maybe I can get you some help. The wood manufacturing in China is suspect and they way they ship it doesn't help. By the time it gets here the furniture travels through 3 different humidity zones.
    Last edited by Lex350; 05-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    my bike

The sofa was delivered in October, and this all went down at the beginning of March, so it was about 6 months. I spent the last few weeks dealing with their third party warranty company and waiting for a response. After I was told how much it would cost to repair, I asked about the warranty we bought and what it covered. Revolve suggested I contact them to see if they would take care of the damage. I just got something back from them denying the claim because it's "not covered under the terms of the protection plan."

rotten42, we've been dealing with Anne and her conclusion as of the last time we spoke is "this is considered wear and tear because we're not supposed to stand or sit on the arm"

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

well...tomorrow I will forward this on and see what I get back
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

can you PM me your contact info and info regarding the model etc?

My Ride
    '11 Acura RDX Tech/'15 Ram 1500 Sport

REVOLVE

Never again

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

I bought alot of stuff from revolve for my new house. Spent a total of 10k there on sofa's and a coffee table. ALL their stuff is made in China... but so is most of the stuff from Nordesigns.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

Default Re: Revolve Furnishings review

Originally posted by 98type_r
    sometimes i kneel on the armrest.
    I'm not a fan of revolve at all. I think the quality is shit, it's overpriced and the staff is rude.

But, it's called an armrest, not a knee and body rest. It's your fault that you broke it and you should have to pay for the damages.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I've never had a problem with Revolve. Well, I have a $3k chair that has never been sat in, but besides that, nothing.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

we bought our kitchen table through them....took 2 months to get in b/c they were out of stock, upon delivery they sent the wrong bench color with a broken leg. Took them another month to get everything fixed. Table is not very durable or sturdy.....

I'm with most of you, never again.....
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast