Quantcast
The "How-To" Mega Thread For Complete Car Detailing! Pic Intensive :) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "How-To" Mega Thread For Complete Car Detailing! Pic Intensive :)

My Ride
    2016 Focus RS - Stealth Grey

Default The "How-To" Mega Thread For Complete Car Detailing! Pic Intensive :)

Ok everyone bear with me here! This is my first time doing a any sort of step by step picture guide but I'll try to be as thorough and detailed (pun intended lol) as possible. Most people on these boards have cars they want looking their best at all times, so I hope this can help in some shape or form

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks there's been threads asking about polishing exteriors, using clay bars, headlight restoration and much more. So I hope this can help everyone get a better understanding of what tools you'll need, how to use them, and what results you can expect using these techniques.

The goal to this thread is to make it as open as I can. If you have any questions about anything, products, techniques, tools etc, feel free to ask away and I will do my best to help out and answer them to the best of my abilities and knowledge allows. If I can't answer it off the bat, I will search to find the answer.

Keep in mind, this may not be industry standard! This is what, in my experience, has proven to work the best and produce the best results for me, and my customers.

I'm going to start off with exterior polishing. The absolute key here is cleanliness. Making sure the car is a clean as possible from the get go will ensure proper results. Do a solid wash to start. Start from the top and work your way down. The more soap and suds the better!

Step One: Car Wash

I use the two bucket wash method, combined with an electric pressure washer, a third dedicated bucket for cleaning the rims, an assortment of brushes, toothbrushes, microfiber wash mit, as well as a foam cannon attached to a garden hose.

Old picture with some of the tools. I will update with the foam cannon later.

What is the two bucket method??

It's having one dedicated rinse bucket and one dedicated soap bucket. Your mitt will only ever travel from the rinse bucket, then to the soap bucket, then to the car. Never the other way. All the grime taken off your car will fall into the rinse bucket, then only a clean mitt enters the soap bucket and on to your car. This all but eliminates enducing more scratches into the paint during the washing process.

Now wash your car! Start at the roof and work down, always making sure there's ample soap and water at all times. This might all seem easy but when you're working with a black car, being as careful and thorough as possible will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

Dont forget to open the door and scrub the jams now, you can use a tooth brush and a garden hose as to not soak your interior. If you're polishing your car you don't want any dirt falling out of the jams and into your path of polish. No good will come...

Last of all, scrub your tires and rims. Mother's has a good wheel cleaner that's safe for all types of rims. Just let it sit a couple minutes, scrub it lightly with a soft toothbrush, or any dedicated wheel brushes.

Thank you Perry for modeling for the demonstrations

Sorry I had to post that picture lol...

After the rims are done, give the whole car a good solid rinse. Now is a good time to see how your paint protection is holding up.

This is a good picture showing a car with absolutely no protection left. This effect is known as "Sheeting". There's no water beading at all and the water is just sitting on top of the paint. This is no good.

Closer to the end of this installment I'll show exactly what I mean by "water beading" and what it should look like. For now we will continue on.

Step Two: Clay Bar

This is very important. Running a clay bar over the top of your paint will remove most surface contaminents. This is essential when you're going to be polishing or applying any protectant.

First, make sure the paint is properly lubricated. You can do this while the car is still wet from the rinse, or buy clay lubricant or quick detailer that's sometimes provided in a kit. Don't over-saturate the area, but use just enough so the clay glides effortlessly across the surface. The proper way to do this is running the bar in slow, straight movements back and forth. Not brisk, circular movements. I also like to drag my fingertips along the paint while the clay is in my palm. This way I can feel the surface of the paint as I go and can tell when the contaminants have been removed from that panel. As you go you'll notice the clay begin to take on the dirt and become discoloured. This is when you should kneed the clay like dough and move all the contaminents into the center, revealing fresh new clay to continue with.

This is after doing the hood of today's demonstration vehicle. You can see all the dirt caught in the clay.

After you've clayed to entire painted surface of your vehicle, you can now dry it. Open all the doors including the hood, truck and gas cap and allow everything to dry thoroughly. Don't forget the side view mirrors!

Now if you're going to be doing a heavy correction over the entire vehicle, tape off everything that may get damaged, gather polish, or damage your polishing pad. I also open the hood and drap a large towel over the wipers blades to protect them from possible sling, dust and contact with the polishing pad.

Now it's time to get the full view of how damaged your paint surface is! This can be the scary part. What you thought was relatively scratch free paint, may turn ugly under proper lighting.

Here's a couple shots of todays demonstration vehicle. Several places has evidence of clear coat failure (due to improper repaint sometime in it's lifetime) unfortunately these will not improve after this process. And it's also littered with rock chips. Regardless, we will press on.

This is bad lol.

Step Three: Polishing

Now the key here is finding out how heavy of a cut you need to use to achieve your desired results. Start with a light or medium cut, do a test patch, and check your results. If you're not happy, step up your game with a heavy pad/polish combo until you get what you're looking for. Never jump right to the heaviest cut, that could actually add a lot of extra unneccessary work to your already long process ahead of you.

Here I'm starting with a nice medium polishing pad and a medium scale polish, nothing to heavy (those are also known as compound polishes).

Take notice, here I'm using a rotary polisher, not a dual action (orbital) polisher. I will make a write up later expaining the differences.

You can see I've taped a line down the middle for a further side by side comparison I'll be doing. I've also taped the washer nozzles. Don't want to clog those up.

Not impressed. The deeper scratches are still present.

On to the next step up.

Medium cut pad, with a light compound polish.

Hey that looks better!

Let's continue with that over the rest of the panel. Perry again will model for us using the Makita Rotary, keeping the pad relatively flat, keeping a nice medium speed of 2.2 on the machine, about 1750rpms, and keeping the pad moving about 2-3 inches per second across the paint. Take a second every now and then and check how much heat the paint is emmiting. It should remain warm. Not cool, and not hot. That provides the best polish break down (clearing).

(To be continued....)
    Last edited by inline6turbo; 05-13-2010 at 10:36 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

After that side is done we can see what a huge difference we've made!

Wow!

Now for comparison I'll show the heaviest cut we can do (besides wetsanding) and the effects it has.

This is once again the rotary polisher but now we are using a wool heavy cut pad, and a heavy grit compound polish.

Notice here that there is a light haze over the panel now. This is the effect of using an extremely heavy cut compound. It's purpose is to remove deep scratches, and in doing so strips the clear of it's oil, and leaves it's own marring.

You absolutely must following this with one or two stages of polishing to regain the shine and clarity of the clear coat.

What about getting in around all those little areas like behind the washer nozzles and door sills?

Here a small polisher comes in handy! Luckily there is such a thing! This is the Griot's Garage 3" Orbital! Isn't it cute

Here we're using the same medium cut pad and light cut compound.

Looking good!

Now on to the polish. We need to get out those haze marks that are left behind and smooth out the paint after the compounds.

Here we use the Flex Dual Action Polisher (Orbital) and a really nice polish with a medium polish pad. I chose this polish because it'll add the most shine to the black finish, and that's what we want.

When using the Dual Action you want to start by spreading out the polish at a speed of 2-3 on the machine. After it's all spread out evenly you can bump up the speed to 6 and start your correction. Keep your speed down while moving across the paint, cover about 1-2 inches a second. The orbitals don't heat up like rotaries and need more time per section to break the polish down properly.

The key to this is starting with a medium downward pressure as you're working in the polish. This'll smooth out the paint while finely tuning some straggling marring left behind. You'll want to finish the section by lightening the pressure so that it's just the weight of the machine holding the pad down, this'll give the paint the boost in shine and clarity you're looking for.

All the hazing is gone and a deep shine has been restored to the paint!

(to be continued...)
    Last edited by inline6turbo; 05-13-2010 at 10:56 PM.

My Ride

Step four: Now it's time for protection!!

I'm a big fan of paint sealant. I've been using my favorite Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0 for about a year now. Have had nothing but stellar results. Recently though the 3M rep has been swinging by my shop and INSISTED I switch to their paint sealant. I put up a good fight, but in the end he suggested I try it out first before shutting it down lol. Thus he inspired my side by side comparison.

The two will be judged on the following criteria:
    - Ease of application
    - Ease of removal
    - Colour/Clarity
    - Water beading effect
    - Longevity (this will be updated over the next couple months to determine the winner)

Let's get started.

First before we apply any protectant it's best to wipe down the entire area with a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water. This will remove any left over polish and oils that are present, ensuring the sealant can adhere properly to the paint surface.

Next I use a wax application pad with my Porter Cable dual action polisher. It is far less powerful then the flex and is ideal for applying waxes and sealants. When you're applying waxes and sealants, keep the polisher operating at speed three and you can travel as fast as you want across the paint, as long as there's uniform, adequate coverage. You don't need to work it in, you're just applying it.

On the left side we will apply the 3M brand paint protection. On the right, my Wolfgang.

So far I've noticed the 3M sealant dried really quickly and was harder to achieve uniform coverage.

+1 for Wolfgang!

Wait for about 5-10 minutes before removing.

Looks good so far! As for removal, the 3M required more effort to remove, and in places where it was slightly thicker, actually require a quick detailer to remove.

+1 for Wolfgang

Let's take it outside and check out the colour

And now for the close up....

That says (Obvious colour difference in the sunlight)

I don't know about you, but the right side looks to have a deeper, rich black colour.

+1 Wolfgang

3M really needs to step it up here...

Let's bring it back inside and check the water beading effect!

Looks good!

Side to side bead comparison....

3M

Wolfgang

Seems the Wolfgang has tighter little bubbles... Looks like she's going for a home run!

+1 Wolfgang

Now it's all down to longevity. Let's see how they hold up in the long run!!

Stay tuned for the next installment!
    Last edited by inline6turbo; 05-14-2010 at 02:11 PM.

My Ride

Excellent Write Up , I also use wolfgang is an excellent sealer, I like how easy it is to remove, and I do agree it gives dark colors a little bit wetness like a carnauba wax, I have also used klassen and Duragloss they are both equally impressive, the Klassen tends to last longer but is a pain to remove that's probably the only reason why I don't like it as much as Wolfgang. ,

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

good tutorial -- this will help ppl that are new to detailing.

Step 3 is my favorite part of detailing.

also my number 1 rule
    "always start with the least aggressive compound/pads to get the job done"

and step up your weapons when needed.

every car is different and a test spot is the best way to gauge what you need.
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

Fantastic write up! It's good to read and see the results from taking some time to get the right tools for the job.

Too bad that VW has so many chips and paint issues in the first place. If you need a test car to demostrate the deep colours I'd volunteer my '10 GTI!

I have a question though, what do you use or do you do anything different for cars with 3m on the hood/fenders?

My Ride

Originally posted by RC-Cola
    Fantastic write up! It's good to read and see the results from taking some time to get the right tools for the job.

Too bad that VW has so many chips and paint issues in the first place. If you need a test car to demostrate the deep colours I'd volunteer my '10 GTI!

I have a question though, what do you use or do you do anything different for cars with 3m on the hood/fenders?

My GTI is just... wise in it's years haha

For 3M you need to take extra care in keeping the heat to a minimum as to not melt the adhesive or plastic film. Same goes for correcting on plastic bumpers. If you don't have access to a dual action orbital and are using a rotary like the makitta, keep the speed at level 1 or 1.5 and slowly work at the problem area, but keep the machine moving at all times. Taking the extra precaution and time is well worth the peace of mind that you won't melt or burn anything. On the other hand, if you have a dual action like the flex, griots or porter cable, you can continue normally at speed 6, checking your work as you go. As for what polish I'm using, I just use the regular paint polish. I have tried many of the plastic polishes but I can get just as good or even better results just sticking with what I'm using on the paint.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Thanks for the write up Renee!

I finally got my full Wolfgang kit in with my Flex polisher!

Gonna give it a try on the civic before i do it on my baby haha

My Ride

Vlad when you are using the Wolfgang polishes, make sure you are always shaking it before applying it on your pad. It tends to seperate really quickly.
    Last edited by inline6turbo; 05-14-2010 at 03:47 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by inline6turbo

My GTI is just... wise in it's years haha

For 3M you need to take extra care in keeping the heat to a minimum as to not melt the adhesive or plastic film. Same goes for correcting on plastic bumpers. If you don't have access to a dual action orbital and are using a rotary like the makitta, keep the speed at level 1 or 1.5 and slowly work at the problem area, but keep the machine moving at all times. Taking the extra precaution and time is well worth the peace of mind that you won't melt or burn anything. On the other hand, if you have a dual action like the flex, griots or porter cable, you can continue normally at speed 6, checking your work as you go. As for what polish I'm using, I just use the regular paint polish. I have tried many of the plastic polishes but I can get just as good or even better results just sticking with what I'm using on the paint.
    Thanks for the reply, I've ordered a Porter Cable Wolfgang kit off of Autopia-carcare.com.

I'm hoping to have it next weekend to work on my cars over the long weekend (hoping we're past the snow now).

My Ride

Well you should be pretty good then, the Porter Cable doesn't have enough power to cause any damage to the 3M

Have fun trying it out!

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

will do! Ill take some photos once im done!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Have you tried the Wolfgang Füzion wax Renee? How does it compare to the paint sealer?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Thanks for the writeup
    A lot of stuff in there I didn't know.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Just curious - how come you don't use a gloss meter to determine the amount of correction you need? Unless you do and just skipped that step.

My Ride

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Have you tried the Wolfgang Füzion wax Renee? How does it compare to the paint sealer?
    I've applied it yes, and the wet look produced by the carnauba in the paste was very similar to a true 100% carnauba paste, but I've never done a side by side to compare the longevity of the polymer aspect. They claim it should last nearly as long as a true sealant but I'd like to see that in person before I believe it. I would expect it to be a nice compromise between a true carnauba and a true sealant. Personally I'm a fan of layering my carnaubas on top of sealants instead of blends like that. Then I know I've got a solid base of protection topped with the reflective, slick look of the carnauba. But for the average daily driver that doesn't want to wax there car every month, but also wants that beautiful slick look, this would be a good alternative and much faster to apply.

Originally posted by LongCity
    Just curious - how come you don't use a gloss meter to determine the amount of correction you need? Unless you do and just skipped that step.

For the average consumer this would be completely unnecessary. I use it when detailing boats, as having a perfectly uniform surface helps them glide through water and helps deter barnicles from gathering. In the auto detailing industry they aren't very practical until you're doing the $5000 details. I use PDGs when I'm doing heavy corrections so I know how thick of paint I'm dealing with, but this write up was meant to aid the once a month garage detailer looking for good results and I'm not to sure making it that complicated and expensive (they're close to $1000 for the unit) would benefit anyone on these boards.

The purpose of those units is to measure the uniformity of the paint surface and the reflectivity beyond what the human eye can see. That is not a service the average customer would be willing to pay for IMO

There are some good write ups about those machines on the interwebs if you're interested in checking them out. But for this thread I'll keep it simple.

Hope that makes sense lol

My Ride

Another question. I see that you tape up all the seams raised lettering, plastic parts etc which I understand is to not destroy the pad, but what do you with the areas once uncovered?

In particular what do you do with the area that you used the painters tape on?

My Ride
    G05

what's a decent & relatively inexpensive polisher that you would recommend?

My Ride

Originally posted by RC-Cola
    Another question. I see that you tape up all the seams raised lettering, plastic parts etc which I understand is to not destroy the pad, but what do you with the areas once uncovered?

In particular what do you do with the area that you used the painters tape on?
    Well 90% of the taped areas are covering soft rubber and weather stripping. Heavier compounds will burn those extremely quickly and leave those nasty white scuffs. So you untape them and just spray/wipe them clean. As for the lettering, after I untape them I clean them out with a light degreaser and a soft brush or Qtip, then hand polish if required. I apply wax and sealant after I've removed the tape so it covers everything.

Originally posted by s2k_boi
    what's a decent & relatively inexpensive polisher that you would recommend?

What's your budget? My very first polisher was a Simoniz from Canadian Tire for $49.99. It lasted years until I drove over it lol. It's a rotary though, so that will take some patience to learn to use properly and not get buffer trails (holograms). Cheap dual actions aren't really worth it imo. They're just not powerful enough. But if you just want one polisher that'll give you the best results by itself, I'd recommend the Flex Orbital. It's ~$299 online, but I'm sure EBay has them cheaper. That way you get great results with no chance of burnt paint or holograms.

Originally posted by inline6turbo

What's your budget? My very first polisher was a Simoniz from Canadian Tire for $49.99. It lasted years until I drove over it lol. It's a rotary though, so that will take some patience to learn to use properly and not get buffer trails (holograms). Cheap dual actions aren't really worth it imo. They're just not powerful enough. But if you just want one polisher that'll give you the best results by itself, I'd recommend the Flex Orbital. It's ~$299 online, but I'm sure EBay has them cheaper. That way you get great results with no chance of burnt paint or holograms.
    So what is your take on the Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher for Polishing and applying sealant and wax? Autopia members seem to love it as an all in one solution.

I have the Simoniz 10" Orbital but all it seems good for is applying wax and sealant. I guess I should be happy I can't really hurt my paint with it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast