Quantcast
Planning a trip to Ireland - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Planning a trip to Ireland

Default Planning a trip to Ireland

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip to Ireland end of this year maybe early next year... so planning starts now so i can have a rough estimate of how much it will cost me! I am also travelling alone and would be staying at hostels... so really this trip is kind of a back packing soul searching getaway...

There are a few things i had questions about:
    1. how much should i budget if i intend on staying 2 weeks... (cost of food, hostels, rent-a-car...and some extras...) since i'm travelling alone and living of a back pack... i wont be shopping much!

2. I want to visit a city but mostly tour around the country and the cost... i gather the west coast is beautiful... Any suggestions on which cities i can pack into my 2 weeks there?

3. What is the best time to go there? I dont wanna go in peak rush time neither do i want to go when its in the middle of winter... whats an in-between time? I was thinking April?????

4. Any ideas or any suggestions...

wow i got a quote from this place "Authentic Ireland Travels" for 12 days with a car rental the cost was $1780 US.... a little much for staying at B&B's and renting a car...

I went there from April 1 to the 17th,

Start in dublin, we did 3 days of our own wandering around.

We did the 10 day tour of all ireland with paddywagon tours.
    Some of the hostels were crap, some were fine.

Basically, get out of dublin as soon as possible, and visit the real ireland.

Northern ireland was cool because its still in civil war (Belfast, and Derry)

We also got stuck in london due to the ash cloud on the way home.

It cost me around $3400 (including the extra 4 days in london).

Feel free to fire me any questions you want answered

My Ride
    6.2L V8

iv driven the whole country, and seen every coast. i spent a month there. the one thing i have to say to you is....

SEE THE GIANTS CAUSEWAY. it is fucking awesome.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Planing a trip for my Mom and I at the moment, Cork, Ireland is a pretty awesome place I hear. Also the west coast is a must see, nothing like it (closest is NFLD).

My Ride
    '06 300C SRT8, '04 ZX6R

I lived in Ireland for 4 months so maybe I can shed some light for you.

First of all, don't do the tours, they're overpriced and if you really want to see the countryside then backpack and rent a car. The bus system is decent too but I preferred driving.

Spend a couple days in Dublin, then just start working your way around the coasts. I would head up north through Belfast and then along the northern coast up through Ballycastle and then over to the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and then over to the Giant's Causeway. Then I'd head toward Bushmills, check out the distillery and there's a cool castle there too. Then I'd head along the coast to Londonderry and check out the city walls and the town. From there I'd head south along the coast and down through Sligo. From there you can keep going along the coast to Galway or you can go any number of routes depending on the towns and sites you want to see.

For me I would say must see's are:
    -Belfast (Do a black taxi tour!! MUST!)
    -Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
    -Giants Causeway
    -Galway (City and Country) MUST GO TO GALWAY CITY!
    -Westport
    -Connemara
    -Cliffs of Moher
    -Aran Islands(There are 3 so choose 2 and see them)
    -Cork (City and County)(Blarney Castle and the stone if you feel like it)
    -Ring of Kerry
    -County Wicklow and its National Park

There are a few other places but I wasn't much for the super small towns which there are a ton of in Ireland. There are castles all over the place, do a search and find the ones you want to see.

Make sure you spend at least a few nights in Galway City, I lived there for most of my time in Ireland and it is BY FAR the best city in Ireland. The pubs here are insane and usually packed most of the week. I seriously love this city, the people are great, the pubs are awesome and the city itself and the country around it is nice. I would go during the Volvo Ocean Race week(if they have it there this year, they did last year) or during the annual Race week(horse races). Race week is awesome, people dressed up and partying all day/night, Ladies Day is the best day to go to the races, the women are everywhere and oh soooooo HOT!

As for hostels, check out Hostelworld or other sites like that and see what there is in every town. There are also really nice B&B's but they are a bit more. The hostels I've been to in Ireland were great, especially in Cork and Galway, in the smaller towns just find a B&B usually. You'll pay anywhere from 9-20 Euro for a room in a hostel and anywhere from 18-40 Euro for a B&B.

Ireland is expensive but get used to it, don't do the conversions in your head all the time or you'll just get depressed. Make sure you get an ISIC card or some form of a student card as there are usually student discounts on almost everything in Ireland.

I personally would go to Ireland in June or July, it can pretty rainy and gloomy most of the other months. June and July is busy season in Ireland but I think it's still the best time, you'll meet lots of travellers and the weather will be really nice.

Hope that helps a little.

Jason

http://www.moytura.com/clonfert1.htm

it's awesome countryside around St Brendan's Cathedral.

I say this as a proud Irishman, born and raised. Why anyone would choose to go there on vacation boggles my mind.

Originally posted by Jim Rome99
    I say this as a proud Irishman, born and raised. Why anyone would choose to go there on vacation boggles my mind.

Because, its a beautiful country with alot of history... beautiful coastlines and green meadows and pretty landscape... being a calgarian...trust me when i say this... calgary has nothing that shouts out history... only thing worth mentioning here is Banff,....other than that its all industialized and cement buildings... we dont have any castles and coastlines...neither do we have monumental landscape like the giants causeway... its just boring here... LOL

I've spoken to alot of people about my trip to Ireland and i've had nothing but negative reviews back.

People keep saying there isnt anything to do... Ireland isn't a famous place to visit... so, i'm asking fellow travel junkies that have been to Ireland. Is it a trip worth it? or I should pick a better place?

Any help would be great

If you dont want to go to Ireland .. Why dont you just go to England? Lots to see and tons of crazy irish people there lol .
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

We toured the UK + Ireland for a month and, at the very least, you should see:

Ring of Kerry
    Cliffs of Mohr
    Giant's Causeway

And seriously, Ireland has some of the best roads in the world you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not renting a car and bombing around for a bit. I would -definitely- go back to Ireland just to drive for a week.

Originally posted by Calgal25
    wow i got a quote from this place "Authentic Ireland Travels" for 12 days with a car rental the cost was $1780 US.... a little much for staying at B&B's and renting a car...
    Thats cheap.

Have you priced any flights over there yet?
    Last edited by SRT; 08-31-2010 at 08:54 AM.

no because I can only take vacation after year end!
    But I heard from alot of people that its boring and not much to do. So, I just wanted feed back whether its worth it or not!

If i'm spending $2,000 i want my moneys worth. I am more of an adventure traveller. I like to see cool things, go on hike and I love exploring. so for someone with those needs is it worthit.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

IMO Ireland is old, damp, rundown, and expensive. I've been a few times, and it's a good thing I was there to visit someone instead of the see the sights. Reminded me of London, boring on a budget.

Originally posted by Calgal25
    no because I can only take vacation after year end!
    But I heard from alot of people that its boring and not much to do. So, I just wanted feed back whether its worth it or not!

If i'm spending $2,000 i want my moneys worth. I am more of an adventure traveller. I like to see cool things, go on hike and I love exploring. so for someone with those needs is it worthit.
    Why not look into Tunisia or Morocco then?

(although I doubt you'd be able to do either for $2000)