Quantcast
Texting and driving - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you text and drive?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

41 15.30%
  • Read only

23 8.58%
  • Only when stopped or at slow speeds

136 50.75%
  • Same thing as walking while chewing gum

68 25.37%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Texting and driving

My Ride
    1991 MX-5 / R6

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    Jesus, I can't believe so many people text while driving. Thats just incredibly reckless imo. Seriously guys, increases your chance of an accident 23 fold! It can be more dangerous than being "legally drunk" and driving.
    Agreed.

Amazing how scary a Beyond thread can get ... driving is a skill. Texting and driving is just stupidity. I don't understand why people HAVE TO REPLY RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT. Voice mail and call display -- how about using them? Hands free is a better option, but it's still a distraction. Have we really become so hooked on instant gratification, that we can't wait 10 minutes until we're safely parked?

The only reason I like reading threads like this is to remind myself why I need to be so alert at all times on the road -- in my car and especially on my motorcycle.
    When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot. ~Larry Lujack

Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage. ~Evan Esar

My Ride
    4g63 powered

Originally posted by rook

Agreed.

Amazing how scary a Beyond thread can get ... driving is a skill. Texting and driving is just stupidity. I don't understand why people HAVE TO REPLY RIGHT NOW, DAMMIT. Voice mail and call display -- how about using them? Hands free is a better option, but it's still a distraction. Have we really become so hooked on instant gratification, that we can't wait 10 minutes until we're safely parked?

The only reason I like reading threads like this is to remind myself why I need to be so alert at all times on the road -- in my car and especially on my motorcycle.
    driving is a skill, texting and driving is a higher skill

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    Jesus, I can't believe so many people text while driving. Thats just incredibly reckless imo. Seriously guys, increases your chance of an accident 23 fold! It can be more dangerous than being "legally drunk" and driving.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/Text...ng_and_Driving
    Interesting article Neil. In light of this new evidence, two things have become apparent: Sending and receiving texts by far reduces reaction times. However, being slightly drunk makes little difference.

Drunk it is....

My Ride
    NOYB.

I will write text messages/etc when completely stopped and sure that I will stay stopped. The instant things get moving again it's put down till the next stop.

I also use a product called DriveSafe.ly. It's an app that reads my SMS, emails, etc out loud. As you can imagine, the name is the URL for the download.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Kloubek

Interesting article Neil. In light of this new evidence, two things have become apparent: Sending and receiving texts by far reduces reaction times. However, being slightly drunk makes little difference.

Drunk it is....

Hahah, wrong intention completely!
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    14' 435i

Im pretty bad for this..

i text and drive all the time... phone calls are Bluetooth but...

ive mastered driving with my leg tho, im pro..

My Ride
    has an exhaust that my dad hates

i used to text and bbm and call all the time while driving...
    Till i bought my wrx and realized the lien and my insurance was money id rather spend to drive than money spent on a wrecked pos
    C'mon Subaru Boys...Let's see those Subaru-Wave Double-Takes <3

Originally posted by GOnSHO
    Im pretty bad for this..

i text and drive all the time... phone calls are Bluetooth but...

ive masterbated while driving with my leg tho, im pro..
    that's how initially read that.

i've never text and drive. having no friends makes this possible.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by inline6turbo
    I can admit I do it all the time. But I'm the stig, and can do it while lapping at the track
    .........isn't that 100% against the rules? IMHO if the track officials caught you doing that you would be told to leave.

unfortunately.

i do all the time,

talk, text, pin, write emails, answer the on call phone and write notes in my berry......

sigh

but if it helps i can type without looking

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by adidas

so obviously ur male companion doesnt have anything in his mouth? lol

anyways, txting on the blackberry was a piece of cake, i wouldnt even have to look at the keys. The iphone on the other hand is impossible so i reply to the urgent txts right away the others wait for a red light or so.

Also seems like a ton of ppl lately dont know how to drive and talk at the same time, pull over u fucks.
    Fixed.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I know I shouldn't .. but ... I do check score .. and I will ..

NHL & World Cup ..
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

This thread is scary as hell. I can't believe how many people do it all the time. Well to all you invincible driving gods, who I know I know.......have way above average driving skills I doubt this will even impact you at all but I will tell anyways. Good friend of mine was hit by an above average driver, who was texting and driving. My friend was crossing the street in Kensigton walking on his way to SAIT. Above average driver changed from left lane to right to go around a 3 ton truck that was stopped and proceeded to hit my friend who was crossing in a crosswalk, everyone had stopped so he could cross, except for above average driver. He is alive but seriously fucked up, most likely his career is done. We were in class together, 3rd intake as electricians. He was a superfit athlete with no worries at all, who ended up with broken back, broken femur, broken hip, broken shoulder, 250 stitches, major concussion, and now a future of endless rehab. But above average driver got his text off so all is good for him.

Somehow I am sure that if I polled right now my story would probably have next to no impact. Because in the mind of invicible above average drivers, who can totally text without even looking, and can probably even read there incoming bbms without looking. The guy that hit my friends had no skillz, he just "thought" he was an above average driver. They would never have made the mistake of thinking a truck stopped in the left lane was turning left and not stopped for any other reason like maybe a pedestrian.

Text on you driving gods text on!

My Ride
    Jetta

Extremely dangerous, particularly on touchscreen phones and Blackberry's which require two hands and a little more care in pressing each key. Distracting as hell. Reading I don't think is a big deal.

Most of the Beyond community is younger and more able bodied, so I think that a lot of us get away with texting safely (read/write), but we really shouldn't do it. Nor should a lot of the poorer drivers on the roads, including the newly licensed (inexperienced) or the generally unsafe ones. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they banned writing text messages while driving, if you ask me. But I should still be able to check my phone and not worry about being ticketed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4