Quantcast
City Wide Towing Has A BMW - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: City Wide Towing Has A BMW

Thumbs up City Wide Towing Has A BMW

One of my kids accidentally locked the keys in our Denali tonight. Called Onstar and they sent 3 messages to my truck to unlock the doors and each one failed.
    They could not open the doors as the truck was in the garage. The signal would not reach my truck through the walls and roof of the garage

Onstar said that they would send out a tow truck to unlock my truck free of charge in an hour or so.

45 minutes later a BMW motorcycle arrives. Guy comes to the door and says he is here to unlock my doors.
    Wow, we were expecting a tow truck. He unlocks the truck and we start talking.

He tells me that this is the only motorcycle in Calgary that performs unlocks, boosts, etc. He carries jerry cans, first aid kits and is fully equipped to do emergency roadside assistance. Turns out the BMW is a former CHP motorcycle and he brought it up from the states for this purpose.
    I guess these CHP BMW motorcycles are equipped with heavy duty alternators, ABS brakes and a variety of other features that make them stand out from the public ones.

Long story short, great idea and great service! He made a good point, why send out a large diesel truck to do an unlocking when they have this motorcycle!

Anyway thanks to City Wide for their prompt and professional service!

Oh and Onstar.....if my truck was ever stolen and parked in a garage or dumped in an underground parking lot how would you help find it

The BMW is like the one pictured below but it is now vinyl wrapped in blue, white and gold to match City Wide's trucks.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Pretty sweet idea!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

THAT is random.
    Wow..... didn't see that one coming
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    THAT is random.
    Wow..... didn't see that one coming
    My thoughts exactly.... Cool!

And good point about onstar, LOL!

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

See what private industry and capitalism does!?!? It provides prompt, efficient, and effective service through innovative means. I love it. Good work Citywide.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Effing awesome! for OnStar remote unlock though

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Originally posted by sneek
    Effing awesome! for OnStar remote unlock though
    Hello, this is Jerry from Onstar, we see you've been in a front-end collision, but we don't know where you are, sorry 'bout that; good luck!!

My Ride
    V8s

Pretty cool.

On another note, those bikes come with ABS stock.

Originally posted by freshprince1
    See what private industry and capitalism does!?!? It provides prompt, efficient, and effective service through innovative means. I love it. Good work Citywide.
    Yeah one could never get a boost or tow in 1972 Russia, long live freedom and the right to a quick boost due to the ONSTAR failure from a USA bailed-out automotive company. We live in glorious times. Getting the city tow contract might have something to do with success, Calgary is tow happy. Not in a foot way.

The bike and idea is cool, until they ruined it with their company colours.

Good idea! And actually left you with a positive experience out of the situation, which is way better marketing than any commercial.

My Ride
    my bike

Originally posted by HondaKid

looks way cooler with the CHP logos on it. They've since started shopping for cheaper bikes though.

I'll be sure to request this bike in February... When it's -30
    Good idea for the rest of the planet though.
    You could say that again. Booze just kept flowing. We walked home (tried to plow at that elgin monument hill park thing) haha...too cold, but that explains the night.
    -WH

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by davesparky6
    I'll be sure to request this bike in February... When it's -30
    Good idea for the rest of the planet though.
    Tell that to the Cops who are on Bikes all summer long, u don't think they save shitloads of money on gas? I applaud the use of the bike by citywide and CPS, gas prices suck and they are smart enough to find ways to work around it. Even if they only get 4 months of use per year that's still shitloads of gas they saved.

My Ride
    Lease

Did they tell you to try holding up your cell phone (while on the phone with central) up to the Denali on-star antenna.

Some say it works with remote starters and key fobs... (person by vehicle holding up cell phone, person on the other line presses fob buttons)

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

They weren't doing it to save gas at all. The guy that came out owned the bike previous. He works in the office and does unlocks and boosts and stuff when the night shift is busy with other stuff. He asked if he could do unlocks for some extra money and the owner of city wide figured he would stick cw colors on it. Its effective but I would never do that to my bike for anyone

Originally posted by MGCM

Tell that to the Cops who are on Bikes all summer long, u don't think they save shitloads of money on gas? I applaud the use of the bike by citywide and CPS, gas prices suck and they are smart enough to find ways to work around it. Even if they only get 4 months of use per year that's still shitloads of gas they saved.
    CHP is California highway patrol, not calgary police service

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by theken
    They weren't doing it to save gas at all. The guy that came out owned the bike previous. He works in the office and does unlocks and boosts and stuff when the night shift is busy with other stuff. He asked if he could do unlocks for some extra money and the owner of city wide figured he would stick cw colors on it. Its effective but I would never do that to my bike for anyone
    Either way, in the end you can't argue that there is money being saved by using that bike when weather permits.

Originally posted by J-D

CHP is California highway patrol, not calgary police service
    what I meant was that CPS DOES use bikes as well and I can promise they are saving money by using them when weather permits.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I can argue that he is taking money from a real drivers pocket though as he gets paid salary and the drivers get commission. So he is getting paid then taking work away from a driver who now is essentially getting fucked twice

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Default Re: City Wide Towing Has A BMW

Originally posted by im2fst4u
    One of my kids accidentally locked the keys in our Denali tonight. Called Onstar and they sent 3 messages to my truck to unlock the doors and each one failed.
    They could not open the doors as the truck was in the garage. The signal would not reach my truck through the walls and roof of the garage

Onstar said that they would send out a tow truck to unlock my truck free of charge in an hour or so.

45 minutes later a BMW motorcycle arrives. Guy comes to the door and says he is here to unlock my doors.
    Wow, we were expecting a tow truck. He unlocks the truck and we start talking.

He tells me that this is the only motorcycle in Calgary that performs unlocks, boosts, etc. He carries jerry cans, first aid kits and is fully equipped to do emergency roadside assistance. Turns out the BMW is a former CHP motorcycle and he brought it up from the states for this purpose.
    I guess these CHP BMW motorcycles are equipped with heavy duty alternators, ABS brakes and a variety of other features that make them stand out from the public ones.

Long story short, great idea and great service! He made a good point, why send out a large diesel truck to do an unlocking when they have this motorcycle!

Anyway thanks to City Wide for their prompt and professional service!

Oh and Onstar.....if my truck was ever stolen and parked in a garage or dumped in an underground parking lot how would you help find it

The BMW is like the one pictured below but it is now vinyl wrapped in blue, white and gold to match City Wide's trucks.

Sorry to hear about Onstar!

You should take it to the dealership to see if something is busted...

I've been 3 floors underground in a cement parking lot with my Escalade and have been using the phone etc...

And as for the story!

Neato!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by HondaKid

Yeah one could never get a boost or tow in 1972 Russia, long live freedom and the right to a quick boost due to the ONSTAR failure from a USA bailed-out automotive company. We live in glorious times. Getting the city tow contract might have something to do with success, Calgary is tow happy. Not in a foot way.

On a side note though the bike is an awesome idea. But I hate city wide with a passion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast