Quantcast
U of C Canadian Studies - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: U of C Canadian Studies

Default U of C Canadian Studies

Hi Everyone,

I am currently taking Canadian Studies 451 - History of Calgary Stampede with Judy Bedford.

Wondering if anyone took this course before? Is it an easy GPA Booster?

I can't speak about her personally but I'd be cautious about the Canadian Studies courses. The professors have a tendency to be extremely passionate which leads them to really hate people looking for an easy GPA booster.

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    I can't speak about her personally but I'd be cautious about the Canadian Studies courses. The professors have a tendency to be extremely passionate which leads them to really hate people looking for an easy GPA booster.
    Really? I took quite a few purely as GPA boosters and never encountered any difficulties with any of the professors.

Originally posted by t-im

Really? I took quite a few purely as GPA boosters and never encountered any difficulties with any of the professors.
    I guess it's hit and miss. I ran into a professor during a Canadian Studies course I took in my 4th year and she was insane to the point that she had a breakdown during class and proceeded to tell everyone that she was retiring because of how upset the class had made her (which stemmed from a conversation regarding television in which most of the class agreed that we would rather watch US television)

My friend also approached her after class regarding a mark that he had gotten (while i was standing at the back of the room) and conversation turned into her yelling at him and leaving the room crying. It was quite the sight.

I took it ten years ago and if I remember correctly, it was a GPA booster.
    Has an IQ of 138, but can't figure out basic algebra.

I guess it's hit and miss. I ran into a professor during a Canadian Studies course I took in my 4th year and she was insane to the point that she had a breakdown during class and proceeded to tell everyone that she was retiring because of how upset the class had made her (which stemmed from a conversation regarding television in which most of the class agreed that we would rather watch US television)

My friend also approached her after class regarding a mark that he had gotten (while i was standing at the back of the room) and conversation turned into her yelling at him and leaving the room crying. It was quite the sight.
    LOL WOW! are you serious?! That is quite scary. My current prof, she is quite hysterical...she has this love and passion for the Stampede that I believe none of the students gave a shit about lol.. and she talks so slow and her eyes goes different directions when she talks, I think she was a little high.
    I'm not sure if she is insane yet, guess I'll have to find out.

Originally posted by PeterGTiR
    I took it ten years ago and if I remember correctly, it was a GPA booster.
    Peter, you didn't even go to the UC. Stop making stuff up!!! LOL

My Ride

Wow, that's just nuts! I've taken 7-8 CNST courses (or more..I know I was very close to being able to minor in it) and never had any issues at all. However, all the courses I took were from the same 3-4 professors who I knew were very fair.

Originally posted by bunzofsteel

LOL WOW! are you serious?! That is quite scary. My current prof, she is quite hysterical...she has this love and passion for the Stampede that I believe none of the students gave a shit about lol.. and she talks so slow and her eyes goes different directions when she talks, I think she was a little high.
    I'm not sure if she is insane yet, guess I'll have to find out.
    Who's teaching?

Wow, that's just nuts! I've taken 7-8 CNST courses (or more..I know I was very close to being able to minor in it) and never had any issues at all. However, all the courses I took were from the same 3-4 professors who I knew were very fair.

Who's teaching?

I'm currently taking it with Judy Bedford. Heard anything about her?

My Ride

I'm currently taking it with Judy Bedford. Heard anything about her?
    No, sorry.

I've taken CNST courses from: Friesen, Perras, Felske, Melnyk

No, sorry.

I've taken CNST courses from: Friesen, Perras, Felske, Melnyk

I have a course with Friesen in the latter of the Summer, It is called Canadian Studies 313 ... can't remember the title of the course. Have you taken it yet? Out of 7, 8 CNST courses you have taken?

My Ride

I have a course with Friesen in the latter of the Summer, It is called Canadian Studies 313 ... can't remember the title of the course. Have you taken it yet? Out of 7, 8 CNST courses you have taken?
    Yes, I've taken that. Easy. Friesen comes off a bit tough but is really a nice guy.

I've taken: CNST 311, 313, 315, 331, 333, 339, 341, 355..and MAYBE 309.

Easy GPA boosters...and actually fairly interesting.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I've taken CNST 333 (Comparison of Canadian and US Culture) with Paul Stortz. I'd highly recommend this course, especially if Paul is teaching. I'd say that's easily the most favorite and interesting course I took while in university. I'd also say he's probably the best prof I've had at the U of C too. I took it in the spring so it went by pretty quick. Had my schedule not conflicted with his timetable, I would've shown up at some of his lectures the following fall just to listen in on some of the topics I may have missed in the spring.

I would've loved to have taken more Canadian Studies courses, unfortunately many of the ones I was interested in at the time conflicted with my required courses.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    I've taken CNST 333 (Comparison of Canadian and US Culture) with Paul Stortz. I'd highly recommend this course, especially if Paul is teaching. I'd say that's easily the most favorite and interesting course I took while in university. I'd also say he's probably the best prof I've had at the U of C too. I took it in the spring so it went by pretty quick. Had my schedule not conflicted with his timetable, I would've shown up at some of his lectures the following fall just to listen in on some of the topics I may have missed in the spring.

I would've loved to have taken more Canadian Studies courses, unfortunately many of the ones I was interested in at the time conflicted with my required courses.
    Paul Stortz...hmmm, I will keep him in mind! He is not teaching any CNST courses this Summer semester...so maybe I will keep an eye out for him in the Fall. Thanks

Yes, I've taken that. Easy. Friesen comes off a bit tough but is really a nice guy.

I've taken: CNST 311, 313, 315, 331, 333, 339, 341, 355..and MAYBE 309.

Easy GPA boosters...and actually fairly interesting.
    Sweet!! Glad to hear! yea I hope it will be easy...since I'm taking 3 courses this Summer

My Ride

Paul Stortz...hmmm, I will keep him in mind! He is not teaching any CNST courses this Summer semester...so maybe I will keep an eye out for him in the Fall. Thanks
    See if Felske is teaching anything also - I enjoyed his courses the most and he's what got me interested in CNST.

Sweet!! Glad to hear! yea I hope it will be easy...since I'm taking 3 courses this Summer
    Friesen is a great prof and is very passionate about Native rights. All his courses are pretty interesting/fun.