Quantcast
Xbox to TV lag - Is my HDMI cable to blame? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Xbox to TV lag - Is my HDMI cable to blame?

Default Xbox to TV lag - Is my HDMI cable to blame?

Kind of a noob question, I have been fucking about with my TV all day trying to figure this out.

Long story short, I have a Samsung 32" LCD TV, bought back in '07 or '08, can't recall. Since the day it was purchased I've used my 360 on it frequently with the HDMI with no issues, until today.

When I went to play MW2 there is a pretty bad lag between when I press a button on the controller to when it inputs to the TV (ie: shoot the gun.. about a .2 - .5 second lag)

I updated the firmware on the TV with no luck. I tried a new charged battery in the xbox controller, no luck, etc, etc. The only thing that has worked is using the HD component cables that came with the 360. This has pretty much eliminated the lag.

So I am trying to figure out what the heck would suddenly cause this lag, literally out of no where. Could it be my HDMI cable ? I really have no clue what the problem is but when I switched to component cables it seemed to fix the lag.

My Ride
    '08 STi, '12 C350 4MATIC

Its not your cables. The reson im saying its not your cables is because lag requires memory, Which of course your HDMI cables have none.

Try hooking your xbox up to a different TV to isolate the problem.

Or, if its easier, a PS3/blu ray or something else with HDMI on that port to check if its the TV.

My guess is that its the xbox. Try a DVD in it and see if the audio syncs up with the video.

Keep troubleshooting with different combinations until you find your weak link.

Most TVs process the input signal before outputing it onto the display. The slower the processing, the more lag you will experience. Your component inputs probably are not subjected to the same video processing and thus doesn't suffer the lag.

Samsung LCD tvs are known to have input lag. Have you or someone else that uses the TV made any changes to the settings?

Look for a gaming mode for the hdmi input. Enabling this usually disables most video processing so your TV will just display the signal as it comes in. Of course you will be trading some image quality for the faster response.
    ---