Quantcast
Tell your Buy and Flip stories thread! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tell your Buy and Flip stories thread!

My Ride
    05 Forester X

bought a 91 civic for 500, sold it for 1700 ?
    dece

My Ride
    DA6, R59

In December 2008 I bought a 99' impreza RS with 66,000kms for $5500. Drove it for the winter and traded it in at SoC for $9500.... In hind sigh, I miss that car and it saddens me everytime I see a GC8...

My Ride
    Depends on my mood...

I remember when I was in my first year of college I drove out to Banff National Park with a buddy to meet up with some ladies. On our drive back we noticed a red '72 Maverick sitting on the shoulder of the highway with the driver's door left open. We thought nothing of it and continued another 5 miles. It was then we caught up with the rather angry owner of said Maverick; desperately trying to hitch a ride.

He told us if we gave him a ride to Calgary we could have the Ford for our trouble. We jumped at the chance. He griped on and on about how much of a piece of junk it was and how it just died on him and wouldn't start. We questioned him about spark, ignition, distributors, starters alternators and carbs... but it was clear he wasn't mechanically inclined. We dropped him off and he signed over the title to the car. We turned around and returned to the car.

There was nothing special about it. It was a 6 banger with an automatic transmission and an AM radio and a red scotch plaid interior. No options. The body was straight and had never been hit. There was no glass damage. The odometer read about 44,000 miles but who knows how many times it had turned over? But who cared. It was free. After a few minutes of fiddling it became obvious that it had run out of gas. The fuel gauge was broken and read 1/3 full all the time. We put some gas in it and it fired up right away. My friend drove it back and I followed him all the way to his house. We get it in the garage and look it over.

The brakes, tires, shocks and battery were all brand new. The spare and the jack had never been used. We checked the oil and it was as clean as a whistle. The sparkplugs were recently changed. We looked on the title for the address of the guy, looked him up in the phone book and called him up. Before we even had a chance to tell him what was wrong he cuts us off by yelling "Now that hunk of junk Ford is YOUR problem! Thanks for the ride, but DON'T EVER CALL ME AGAIN!!!" and hung up.

We were "stuck" with it. Fine.

We kept it for about 4 weeks in the backyard of my friend's house while trying to decide what to do with it. One day we head over to his house after classes and my friend's father is standing on the driveway waving us down.

"There's a guy who saw that Ford of yours sitting in the back yard. He wants to buy it from you boys. You paid nothing for it. GET IT OUT OF THE YARD! He's waiting back there now."

We talk to the interested buyer and he says his dad used to have one new. He asks to take it for a drive and we toss him the keys. When he pulls out of the backyard we didn't even think about going with him. "What if he never comes back?" I asked. "Oh well, so we lost a car we got for free." my friend responded. We wait an hour and presume the car is long gone and we go inside to study. About 3 hours later the Maverick pulls up in the backyard. Seems he took it for a long test drive and had a safety inspection performed on the car. He even had the gas gauge fixed in the process.

What did we get for it? We just asked him what he thought was fair for the car and we would leave it at that.

"How about $1500?"

It took everything in us not to blurt out in boisterous disbelief. He gave us each $750 and promptly drove away with the car.

You don't get deals like that anymore.

I bought an 04 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab from the auction, it had an engine light on, it cost 6800 after all taxes and fees. Turns out it was the temperature sensor right behind the grill that needed to be replaced. ($30 part and easily DIY)

Put it for sale for $10,000, got $9800 two weeks after I originally bought it

My Ride
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege/ 2007 Mercedes C280 4MATIC

I bought an 87 Mazda RX7 for $1000 had an s5 motor but didn't run. After inspecting the car i noticed the motor fuse was blown and i took one of the extra fuses replaced it and the car ran fine. Sold it for $3500

Bought a pocket bike off e-bay for 200ish. Re-sold it for 400 a few days later

On a side-note, anybody who drives a pocket bike on the streets is jsut plain out crazy and has a death wish

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Bought a volkswagen thing for $1500, replaced the oil pump, and fixed a rip in the roof. Drove it for the summer and sold it for $7500 to a business in Ontario who wanted it as a promo car.

My Ride
    4x4

87 Cheby Suburban 4x4 TH400/454

Bought it for 500$ - took it to bush league 4x4 (yeah this is that long ago - back when they were good still) for inspection, lift, gears, lockers, 35s, roof rack, lights, bumpers winch... Put 8000$ into it.

Day after I get the phone call to come and get it owner at bush league calls me up - someone driving by made an offer of 15,000.

Sold. Never even got to drive the damn thing.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Bought my '88 Vulcan 750 for $1300, put maybe $100 into it to fix the speedo, rode it for a year and sold it for $2300.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    96 Mystic Cobra and 96 Mustang GT

Bought an absolutly hammered 1995 Saturn SC1, only 80,000km on it i think... the paint was a chaulky pink in color! Polished it, detailed the insides and sold it for $5000!.... i only paid $1500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2