Quantcast
Calgary vehicle noise bylaw - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary vehicle noise bylaw

My Ride
    something green

Default Calgary vehicle noise bylaw

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/colum.../14363071.html

Bylaw Bill Bruce wants it. Ald. John Mar wants it. Bronco doesn’t want it.

That’s a problem.

The mayor is not a stumbling block. He is a brick wall.

As this paper revealed Friday, Mar and city bylaw boss Bill Bruce want to slap a ticket on all noisy vehicles and, with a council green light, they want to do it by mid-summer.

Bylaw Bill says the proposed ticket would be around $500 and offenders going over 96 decibels would be caught on technology similar to photo radar, with the fine going to the registered owner.

In fact, there is a system the city is eyeing where vehicles are recorded on video and audio with an accompanying decibel reading.

Most Sun readers who have voiced an opinion support Mar and Bylaw Bill’s efforts.

Then there’s Bronco. He is against.

The mayor says he is as irritated as anyone over the noise nasties. But he doesn’t want to go this route. He would like the province to put in a loud-noise ban to be enforced by the cops, keeping the same fine and attaching demerit points.

Another bylaw, says Bronco, is just setting up the city for more pain than gain.

The first vroom, vroom, vroom and the city’s 311 phone line will be flooded with calls asking why bylaw didn’t get rid of the loud noise and the loud noise will likely not go away.

“Of course, these loud vehicles are an irritant. Only a very few would disagree great big hogs going vroom vroom is not somehow an exciting thing,” says Bronco.

“But is the best way to deal with it a city bylaw? I’m not going to create a false expectation. I don’t want to add stuff to the books we can’t enforce.”

“There aren’t enough bylaw officers to deal with half the complaints we receive today. We would be creating an expectation that if you call us when someone is ripping down the street, the city will be there to enforce the new bylaw.”

“Bylaw should be focusing on what goes on in the streets already. We’ve got graffiti, weed complaints, litter and garbage, fire pits, broken fences, neighbourhood disputes, unsightly premises and the list goes on. To introduce another area of responsibilty, whether or not there is technology, well, we don’t have the resources. That’s the bottom line.”

“The city can’t be the responsible party to deal with everybody’s irritant.”

Of course, Bylaw Bill points out the city has waited for the province to make a move but the province isn’t doing anything. Imagine that. So it’s this or squat.

As for getting it in for a final July 19 vote, the last council meeting for this sort of issue before the October election, Bronco would like to close that door.

“This is not an item of urgent business. There is no way to get this done by the summer. I don’t think the timelines line up,” says Bronco, who will not be around if a new council decides to go ahead with this brainwave in the fall.

Mar says he is standing firm and he is gaining allies among other aldermen.

“This is something with citywide support. There is an expectation from citizens on this issue. I have spoken to other members of council who are now interested in signing on,” says Mar.

“If we can get it to the next council meeting, we will.”

That meeting is June 21 and Mar would ask council to direct city administration to come up with a bylaw to go to a committee at the end of June and then back to the mayor and aldermen for a decision in July.

Ald. Joe Connelly, who is running for mayor, will be voting Yes and, unlike Mar who gets the calls from those who live near 17 Ave. S.W., Joe hears from people farther in the southwest.

“I do support this. I think it’s a major problem,” says Joe, citing concerns in Discovery Ridge, along Sarcee Tr. and Glenmore Tr.

So there we have it.

Some aldermen already agree. The mayor is opposed.

Climbers up Mount Everest have faced easier challenges. But Everest has been climbed.

“If bylaw has time on their hands, I can take them down streets needing some cleaning up,” says the mayor, under 96 decibels but still loud and clear.

I actually agree with Bronco on this one.. I also don't think this would be enforceable..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Agree with Bronco
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Agree with bronco. And if I go through a light at the same time as a Harley rider, how do they prove it was me?

Also how do you enforce this for people who aren't from the city and are just using 16th ave to drive trough.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

while i hate the assholes with the ear deafening bikes that cant seem to stop blipping the throttle, and generally being assholes....i dont care for this law. as im concerned its another way for the powers that be, to get a hand in the working mans pocket. Police are low in projected revenue...they need to make that up right? well, this is their way to make it up. In the states, i believe cops have decibel meters, and i believe the law is 95 db at 3 feet at 3000 rpm....which seems pretty fair to me, considering 86 decibels is the limit of which you need ear protection for anything after. If there is a complaint, police should be able to work on a per complaint basis same as speeding. The police should pull over the person with the loud exhaust same as it is now, only, with that law in place, it wont be up to their discretion, it will be up to the decibel meter's reading.

oh, and i think this episode of southpark sums it up perfectly

Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 06-12-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Election is coming - remember who votes which way on council if this matters to you.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Cos
    Agree with bronco. And if I go through a light at the same time as a Harley rider, how do they prove it was me?

Also how do you enforce this for people who aren't from the city and are just using 16th ave to drive trough.
    On your first Question, Staffelführer Bill Bruce has a new machine he is testing. It has microphones and VIDEO tapes the offending vehicle, records your plate and then you get ticket in the mail. Photo decibel coming to a street near you..
    On your second question, exactly, a car legal in Alberta is now deemed illegal in Calgary, thats part of the reason its probably just going to lead to a bunch of contested tickets.. And the 500.00 dollar charge, c'mon..
    I know one of my cars is 116 db, but its my track car.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    335i

This is great news if it gets rid of two plagues in this city: Bikers that rev at a stoplight and ricers who put loud exhausts on their civics.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    This is great news if it gets rid of two plagues in this city: Bikers that rev at a stoplight and ricers who put loud exhausts on their civics.

werd, im alittle tired of not being able to even walk down and enjoy 17th anymore, the choppers there are just out of hand, ive seen one cruise down at redline setting off car alarms the whole way down, im 20, been to countless rock concerts and even i had to cover my ears for that 1
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Can't believe I agree with Bronco

It makes me wonder if anybody has ever tried calling 311 on any of my cars .... I get some of the meanist looks you can imagine from people, so it wouldn't surprise me (probably doesn't help me that if somebody glares at me and I have the chance, I'll pace them for miles with my sidepipes right along their side window at 4k rpm ... rolling up your windows won't save you from me, hah! )

Originally posted by Maxt

On your first Question, Staffelführer Bill Bruce has a new machine he is testing. It has microphones and VIDEO tapes the offending vehicle, records your plate and then you get ticket in the mail. Photo decibel coming to a street near you..
    On your second question, exactly, a car legal in Alberta is now deemed illegal in Calgary, thats part of the reason its probably just going to lead to a bunch of contested tickets.. And the 500.00 dollar charge, c'mon..
    I know one of my cars is 116 db, but its my track car.
    Glad someone agrees. Only thing I am still wondering is if we go side by side through that intersection at the same time, how does the machine know it is your track car and not me.

Only thing I could see is having one on each side of the road and doing a differential but that would work where you can get echo's. Christ if they set one of these up downtown if a Harley is going down 5th tons of people will get tickets, we used to hear them clear as a bell on the 23rd floor so I imagine it is over the 96 decibels for a few blocks.

System just seems riddled with problems.
    Last edited by Cos; 06-13-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I'm not easily annoyed but loud pipes make me want to murder the guy. They're only doing it for attention and I don't for a second believe the "loud pipes save lives" bullshit. That's what the douchebag bikers say because they know they'll look like idiots if they admit they're doing it for attention.

Was on 17th yesterday having an icecream with the broad and some asshole on a chopper goes by, drops a gear and blasts it. There's maybe 20 people around us and every single one of us is shaking our heads thinking the guy's a fucking loser.

Needless to say, I support the bylaw 100%

I totally agree with this proposed bylaw. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck in traffic next to some asshole biker who keeps revving his engine at every possible light. It is annoying and disrespectful. I'd love to see jail time added, not just some measly fine.

Another bullshit bylaw by the City. Just one more example of the "fun police" at work.

"You look like your having fun, and with every rumble of your exhuast I'm reminded of how much my life has sucked since my wife got pregnant and I bought a mini van, so I need to stop your fun!"

Listen I know theres issues. I've been on 17th ave. So set a noise level limit for 17th ave between Mcleod and 14th St. Oh but wait that wouldnt generate enough revenue to make the program worthwhile, we need to make it city wide in order to generate the needed revenue! Now it makes sense. The City is so translucent at times.

God I can't believe I agree with Bronco.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 06-13-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by Jim Rome99
    I'd love to see jail time added, not just some measly fine.
    Your a moron!
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Your a moron!
    I do hope YOU'RE joking.

My Ride
    GTI

I agree with this as well, except the part where demerits would be involved, fine them big time though, fucking annoying.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    (probably doesn't help me that if somebody glares at me and I have the chance, I'll pace them for miles with my sidepipes right along their side window at 4k rpm ... rolling up your windows won't save you from me, hah! )
    For a brief second, I was going to ask if you REALLY acted like this.

...but then, I realized, you almost positively do.

And with that, I made up my mind that I agree with a noise law. Nobody should be forced to deal with people like you.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

maybe 2EFNFAST will need to buy mufflers? oh the humanity...
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I just browsed quickly through the Alberta Traffic Safety Act..... I cant believe there is no legislation right now that deals with "excessive noise" like there is in BC.

Vancouver dealt with this about 5 years ago and I remember all the bikers whining and complaining about it..... but many learned their lesson. Downtown (eg. Robson St.) did get noticeably quieter after that.

We (the RCMP) used to write tickets all the time to assholes who had (presumably) lost their hearing and thus insisted on open exhausts, etc.

It should be a provincial thing IMO.... get on it
    Ed Stelmach !!
    Last edited by revelations; 06-13-2010 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by revelations
    I just browsed quickly through the Alberta Traffic Safety Act..... I cant believe there is no legislation right now that deals with "excessive noise" like there is in BC.

Vancouver dealt with this about 5 years ago and I remember all the bikers whining and complaining about it.

We (the RCMP) used to write tickets all the time to assholes who had lost their hearing and thus insisted on open exhausts, etc.

It should be a provincial thing for sure.... get on it Ed Stelmach !! (unless the provincial govt can cough up more money for bylaw officers).
    isnt there "excessive noise from a motor vehicle"?. Ive had a few use that one on me. "Widened exhaust" is another. I dont agree with the above, simply because the law is so vague, it leaves it to the discretion of the officer weather its too loud or not. One mans loud could be another mans quiet. Thats why i agree with the law if it arms the police with decibel meters and a testing procedure. If you catch a drunk, you give him a field sobriety test, and a breathalyzer, so therefore there is a procedure to lay charges. Same thing should be with noise. Ive had tickets, and i KNOW that none of my cars exceed 95 decibels, hell, i think they would be lucky to exceed 85......

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast