Quantcast
Mattresses? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mattresses?

Default Mattresses?

Not sure if this is the right area to post, maybe the health and fitness, but its not quite health or fitness related.

So I need to buy a new mattress and am looking for suggestions. I am looking for a Queen sized since that is what all my newish bedroom furniture (<1 yr) is made for, and I spent a pretty penny on it. Before I had an el cheapo mattress then put one of those pillow top things on it. It was garbage. I then recently purchased a Tempurpedic Mattress when I bought the new furniture and have hated It. My first problem with it is that I sweat terribly with it. My place has A/C set at 20 deg, I also have a very light blanket and sheets. I never had a problem sweating before with heavy blankets on a normal coil mattress and figure its due to breathability of the material. Even now with blankets off and chilled I still sweat which really bugs me, a couple girls that i have had over have also complained about it. My second problem with the mattress, is when doing the dirty. I find it is very counterproductive to the rocking motion I create, I get going, and it just seems to absorb the motion. Not that I am lazy, but it gets kind of annoying after a while (though not bringing women back to my place isn't a terrible idea)

What I am looking for is something that is soft like the tempurpedic mattress and supportive, but that is going to be breathable like a traditional mattress and not totally absorb my 'rockin'. I am looking for the opinions of people who have slept on a mattress for more than a year. Anyone can go sit on a mattress at a store, but it might not be the same after sleeping on it for a year. I am looking at different pillow tops and pocket coils but don't know what to believe when it comes to sales people talking to me. I am also looking for durability. I have a neighbor that has a supposedly good pillow top but have had their mattress replaced twice in two years because the pillow top keeps breaking down and they roll out of bed. I am also trying to keep it under $3000 since I am a broke as a joke student.

I want to create a narrowed down list of specific mattresses to go and look at, maybe 10 or so.

Thanks

Jordan Turbo

I would just go down to place like Sleep Country Canada and find a good salesperson.

My wife and I spent $1400 ($2200 list price) on a great top of the line Sealy mattress set.

Just make sure you negotiate with the sales person. You should be paying somewhere around 40% less than the list price that is shown.

I would also avoid places like The Brick, The Bay or Sears. The salespeople there know nothing about mattresses half the time.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

We bought a new bed about six months ago and did quite a bit of shopping around. We found that the staff at Sleep Country, on average, seemed to know more about beds than most of the competition. We ended up with a Kingsdown that we are very happy with. The gal we dealt with asked a lot of questions about our sleeping habits and such and suggested a few different models and she explained WHY her suggestions made sense for us. I can't remember her name but she's an older lady (50's / 60's) at the location on 130th Ave.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

I was just at Mattress Mattress Inc. yesterday on 32nd street, I wasn't expecting much, but as soon as I went in, all the salesmans greeted us. This was a change and nice, and at the same time there were probably 4-6 more groups of customers being looked after between 3-4 salesman.

The salesman took the time to show us all 4-5 different bed systems. Such as the, traditional coil, continuous coil, independent pocket coil, foam, and latex foam.

He never pushed for any of the expensive sales, he just generally took the time to explain, and suggested a wide range of beds to try. He also didn't ask what my budget was, which is nice for a change since it showed me he is more concentrated on getting me a bed I liked.

After looking at everything, I decided to highly consider this Certa mattress, as it was apart of his bigger is better event (ex. King sized bed for Queen sized pricing).

I opted for a double as I have a small room and I am still a student. It was a Certa independent pocket coil system, with a bit of latex foam on top and it was a pillow top style. This bed comes with a choice of a firmer side (which I preferred) or a softer side.

As this mattress' price includes a box spring, and he suggested we get the bed frame with a middle support because he said that it often voids the warranty if you do not have the correct frame (not sure if this is true). Another thing about warranty is bed stains he said. Also the warranty for this mattress set is 10 years.

For the set it was 799.99 and the frame was 79.99. We opted out of delivery which is 60 dollars.

To me, this sounds like a good price, but this is the first time I have gone bed shopping so I wouldn't know for sure. If some other beyonders can offer some comments, it would greatly help.

Also, lastly, my salesman's name was Jared, and he was by far the best salesman between Brick and some other generic big companies.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by [Yu]; 08-03-2010 at 08:05 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Might want to check out Ikea as well. They have a pretty limited selection, but if they carry what you are after, it's a good value, and you don't have to dick around with the douchebag salespeople like very other mattress store.

I'm rocking the SULTAN FLOKENES in king size. Been very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Just checked what mattress I am planning to get, it is a Double sized Serta Perfect Day Obsidian Pocket coil with latex and its actually for 740.99 not 799.99 as I previously mentioned.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I upgraded to a King sized mattress. I'm not sure I ever slept on anything but. I can't remember what brand it is, but I think it's a posturepedic. Like worth every penny. I wouldn't fuck around with beds, you spend a lot of time in/on them... plus, the chicks..

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

That is why I am looking for advice from here. I don't care about spending too much money because it is a place where I will spend atleast 1/3 of my life for the next 5-10 years. A good sleep is very important to me. I had furnished my entire house in sask with Ikea including mattresses and will never be going back to one. I thought it was absolute garbage.

I am in Edmonton so it is a little inconvenient to drive down to Calgary haha. I have been to a few sleep shops ie. big comfort, Sleep Country, and Mattress Mattress. I just found the sales people I talked to seemed a little cheezey, like used car salesman esque, that they could talk, but they didn't really understand what they were talking about.

I am basically looking to make a list of top 10 that does not include tempur since I sweat balls on it from people that have experience on the mattresses and make the decision myself.
    jordanturbo is like herpes... Always coming back for more

My Ride
    Depends on the day

I've been in the biz for 11 yrs now so heres my 2 cents.
    1. who cares what someone else likes your sleeping on it!!!
    2. stick to the big companys there the biggest for a reason
    #1Sealy/Sterns and Foster
    #2Serta(but I have seen more problems with them than all
    others)
    #3Simmons(best pocket coil by alot)
    & foam beds Tempurpedic(a love it or leave it bed)
    3.Take your time, lay on your choices for at least 5-10 min(once you have narrowed it down)
    4.Once you have found the bed you like make sure they have a trial period!!! It takes most people at least a week to adjust to a new bed, and if it doesn't work you will have wasted a lot of money.

Good luck man
    Last edited by kvg; 08-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.

^^^
    Thanks I am almost set on a Simmons Beautyrest with the pocket coils. I was looking at the different options for the pillow top and there was the options of memory foam. I am wondering if I have a problem sweating my bag off since that is my main beef with my all foam tempur mattress.

On first impressions I liked the feel of the beauty rest with memory foam top the best. then the more basic pillowtop beauty rest, followed by the sealy posturpedic with the additional coils and 7 area memory foam top. But the Sealy has all these award things and orthapedic seals and shit. Does this mean in the end I would be better off with the Sealy?

My Ride
    Depends on the day

If your getting a pocket coil buy a Simmons!!!!! Sealy makes a great bed in there innerspring beds tho.Tempur beds are warmer than a normal bed that's a fact, but they are better than 5yrs ago.all latex beds are great too. If getting a bed with memory foam get latex as latex dissipates heat. If you are a hot sleeper get one with latex regaurdless you'll be glad you spent the money, I was. Best prices on beds are at the Brick, Sleep country(be careful if the beds not on sale there), Mattress Mattress, and Sears.I hope I've been of some help.
    Last edited by kvg; 08-03-2010 at 10:22 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just a warning about pillow tops. it's easy to ge sucked into thinking that a thicker, softer pillow top is betters, but those can be very hot. My last mattress was a Simmons Beautyrest with pocket coils, and I got the extra thick memory foam pillow top. Big mistake. I was sweating my bag off for eight months a year.
    That's why when i went shopping for my current mattress, I was specifically looking for ones without any pillow top.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Just a warning about pillow tops. it's easy to ge sucked into thinking that a thicker, softer pillow top is betters, but those can be very hot. My last mattress was a Simmons Beautyrest with pocket coils, and I got the extra thick memory foam pillow top. Big mistake. I was sweating my bag off for eight months a year.
    That's why when i went shopping for my current mattress, I was specifically looking for ones without any pillow top.
    Very true thick pillow tops can be warm, as they do wrap around you. Honestly latex pillow top beds are much cooler, but for some people a softer top bed is a much more comfortable and supportive. The biggest reason people change the bed is because its too hard.

My Ride
    R50

I got mine last year at Sleep Country, but my preference was kinda weird to begin with. After testing out quite a few beds, I knew I needed something really firm, maybe with pocket coils, but for sure no pillow tops (makes me feel like I'm sleeping on a couch, which is comfortable, but I don't like...). They recommended me a beautyrest and another brand that was firmer but with no pocket coil. Ended up with a beautyrest that they said had the firmest pocket coils that they have. Any firmer and I'll have to pick something without pocket coils.

I'm a side sleeper and this bed has been perfect for me. Every night I hop in, I'll be out cold in 5min.

Latex memory pillow tops ftw.

i used to sleep with on a mattress with a feather top pillow thingy and sweat so much it was gross.

just gbought a new sealy with a latex memory foam top thingy and it is amazing.

best sleeps ever

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

We went to Sleep Country and Mattress Mattress and found that Sleep Country was super sleezy and just wanted the sale. Matress Matress took the time to patiently answer our many questions and let us take our time with no pressure.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Just went out shopping yesterday, and found the exact opposite. the Lady at Mattress Mattress did not ask me very many questions, as soon as she saw me pull up in a porsche she kept on pushing the most expensive Kings Down set.

At Sleep country there was an old guy there, he asked a million questions, had great product knowledge and helped me find suitable mattresses. I am fairly sold on pocket coil mattresses since I cant stand sleeping in the same bed as somebody so having the pocketcoils should be beneficial. I narrowed it down to two mattresses.

First is the Kings Down Daltry model (quoted $1600) it is a pocket coil, euro top made with latex foam, has the solid surround so you wont roll out when you get towards the edge and has lumbar support by using thicker guage coils in specific areas.

Second was the Simmons Beautyrest Valhalla (quoted $1800) with a latex pillow top, same high density foam surround to prevent rolling out, and has the lumbar support using a high density foam in the top instead.

He said lumbar support wise he recommends the Kings down since the coils last longer than the foam, and you still get the uber soft pillow top with the support way down below. He said by far the Simmons and Kings Down beds are their best sellers. he said serta really doesn't have anything special and have the most warranty issues that he has seen from the big 4. He said the Sealy Posturpedic series are good mattresses are but the orthapedic approval is a marketing gimmick since they just have an orthopedic surgeon on staff. He said that Simmons and Kings Down offer the most new technology in their bed that will benefit me. He said with simmons though you are paying alot for the name now and bang for the buck wise Kings Down has the better bed.

Kings Down may be the better bed, and he said they have been making beds for 100yrs but the reason I haven't really heard of them is because they are very selective as to which stores carry their mattresses and they dont have a marketing budget because their mattresses basically sell themselves the same way you see no marketing for sub zero fridges but go into any luxury home and you will find one. I am just looking for someone to confirm this fact

Kings down Calm is the one I have... Pillow top with latex, pocket spring & memory foam construction in a medium softness

So far, its been stellar! It leagues above my temperputic & Beauty rest that have now migrated into the spare bedrooms.

I got it for $1699 for the mattress alone for a King Size, no box spring as I have a platform bedset/frame

My Ride
    **SEQUOIA**

we are also in the market for a mattress (ours is on its way out haha) and we went to sleep country to see what they had. they are offering us a clearance model stearn & foster king size 2nd from top of the line (mattress only) for $1100.00 and that includes delivery. MSRP of mattress and box spring is $2800.00. This is with the friends and family discount

what are your takes on buying a clearance mattress? clearance can be defined as a mattress that might have been a store model, buy/returned, small imperfections, as-is sale but still has manufacturers warranty. The part that bothers us the most is that someone may have bought it taken it home tried it out and returned it. sure they steam clean them, but still?

any advice would be helpful!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

A clearance bed if it was a customer "demo" it will not have been steam cleaned as that can damage the foams. I've found people exchange their bed less than 10% of the time, but with no exchange if you don't choose the right bed your Stuck with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast