Quantcast
It cant get any worse than call center work - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: It cant get any worse than call center work

Default It cant get any worse than call center work

No wonder why theres such a high turnover rate in them. Ive known many people who worked at them before and they said people use it as a temp job or one to fil in time. No one takes a call center job seriously and people are always leaving.

Id probably rather pump gas than work in a depressing call center if I had to. Its just boring, incredibly linear and insanely repetitive work that becomes very stale on you fast. Everything about it is just too stationary and theres no variety what so ever. Repeat the same verbatim, take crap from customers, deal with idiots, piece of shit phones and headsets, blah. Exact same thing everyday - take call, say your speal, input data, rinse and repeat over and over and over again.

This is one type of job i could never do ever again. Its a pretty thankless job for pitiful above average wages and super long hours with appalling working conditions. And when the workload gets extremely busy, working OT pretty much becomes a must for everyone. If you hate the work, working 12hr shifts will only make you more mental. And I dont care what anyone says but if youre not willing to work OT in a call center, management will look down on you.

I dont know how anyone could do this everyday as main job and love it. Absolutely terrible, bottom of the barrel work.

And they watch you and your phone line like a fuckin dog.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 08-04-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

lol. How do you REALLY feel?

Yeah, nobody I've talked to who has worked in a call centre has enjoyed it. A lot of being ragged on without a lot of pay. But I think we pretty much already knew this?

I spent 5 1/2 years in a call centre... front line to sr management... I fully understand and completely appreciate where you are coming from.

When the work environment & culture was actually fun & positive, it was an amazing place to work. As soon as the place became corporate, it turned into a bland, stale hellhole with high turnover & poor production/results.

I even tried my hand at managing a 2nd call centre... I stayed 6 weeks and have vowed to never work within the confines of another one ever again.

In fact, take it a bit further, I can't imagine ever working in an office environment ever again. Forget it. Toxic stuff.

Life is better now that it's just me with my brushes, rollers & ipod. Waaay better!

i worked at star choice call center for 2 years during sait, i got paid 23 an hour for sitting on my ass and talking

wasn't bad as everyone says, sure there were some people that were rude but meh i could care less. i got in got out made my paper

i guess i handled it well? i have pretty thick skin i guess?

Originally posted by GQBalla
    i worked at star choice call center for 2 years during sait, i got paid 23 an hour for sitting on my ass and talking

wasn't bad as everyone says, sure there were some people that were rude but meh i could care less. i got in got out made my paper

i guess i handled it well? i have pretty thick skin i guess?
    What year was that? Cause I think call center work has progressively gotten worse as the years went on. I worked in one for Cell phone company in 2001 I believe and it wasnt bad, mainly cause the management was great and actually valued their customers and put in an effort in maintaining the workplace.

But all I hear now is everyones gone down this shitter and working in a call centre will feel like youre in a jail cell because everyones monitored. When your headset feels like a chain that is permanently attached to your desk and everything you do.... is monitored, ie. Breaks, Lunches, Training. Anytime you to leave your "cubi-cell" you are required to enter a code into the phone, so management knows where you are or why you are not taking calls.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 08-04-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I did 14 months at a call center in Vernon, BC. After the first 3 months I was no longer answering phones which made the job a bit more tolerable, but the way management ran the place, and the total lack of respect for all of their employees was just sickening. Finally I had enough, quit my job with no notice and once I found a new job I made it my mission to save as many people as possible from that company by getting them jobs at my new place of work.

The worst part is that even though it is now over 3 years later, after 14 months in that place I am now left with this feeling of dread every time any phone rings.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome