Quantcast
R/C Helicopter discussion! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: R/C Helicopter discussion!

Default RC HELICOPTER THREAD!!

**Kevie88 Edit**

I split these posts out of the Rc helicopter groupbuy thread so we wouldn`t clutter it up too badly, and I think we can help each other out with these more advanced heli`s.

Any `Hobby Grade`rc helicopter discussion is welcome!

If I missed anyone`s posts, just cut and paste post em here.

**Kevie88 Edit**

Went out with the guys from calgaryheli.com to see some "real" heli's fly lol.

This hobby is so addicting.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

So after a few weeks of flying mine (bought in the states before I saw this thread) I got pretty good at flying it, so I stepped up and bought a Blade MSR.. what an awesome little chopper. So responsive and fun to fly. If you're looking for the next step after one of these, go get one!
    Bought not built!

Last night I removed the lead nose weight, nose LED, and snipped the LED wires. That, along with the removal of the tail supports makes a noticeable difference in flight time and responsiveness. It also helps counteract the front weight bias that exists when only the tail supports are removed, causing the heli to always move forward slightly even when hovering. It still moves forward a bit while hovering, but to a lesser extent.

As for battery life, it stays in the air longer due to slightly less weight, and now instead of the last 3-4 minutes of battery life basically making the heli act like a hovercraft, it will actually fly until it is only about a minute or so away from being completely dead.

I have 2 of these things now and I find they perform identically as follows:

First ~3min: Extremely responsive & powerful, can quickly hit the ceiling while hovering under full throttle without any forward movement. Backwards movement does not cause a loss of altitude.

Next ~5min: 75% power available, can easily fly around, and can gain altitude slowly while hovering. Gains altitude rapidly when forward movement is combined with full throttle. Forward flight without increasing altitude, like in the first few minutes, still requires you to back off the throttle slightly. Backwards movement causes a slight loss in altitude.

Last 1-2 minutes: Noticably less power, needs lots of forward movement to gain altitude, slowly loses altitude while hovering. Backwards movement causes a significant loss of altitude. Eventually cannot lift of the ground and is basically a hover craft, and less than a minute later the battery is dead.

Also, letting off the throttle briefly allows the heli to spin on its axis MUCH quicker, but it's harder to recover quickly unless you have a nearly full charge so it can "catch" itself.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting pretty good with these things, have only crashed a couple of times, and can reliably land on a 6X6 inch landing pad I have set up. So, I was looking more into getting a Blade MSR but after seeing how fast those things go, even though they are really small, it looks like ideally you need to be outside on a calm day or in a gymnasium to fully enjoy them. I might cause more damage than good in my condo .

For you R/C guys: What do you think about the Blade MCX with the "Cusker" aluminum performance kit addition? Apparently, from what I read, it transforms the heli into a much better performer while maintaining its forgiving nature. I was thinking that might be a better alternative to the MSR given that I don't have a giant open space to fly it in.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-01-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Picking up a Blade MCX 2 tomorrow! They are brand new (only learned of their existence today) and of the few shops I called none have them yet but Action Hobby is getting 8 of them in tomorrow (in case anyone else wants one) so I put my name down for one. It appears to be the perfect step between the S107 and the MSR or similar. The RTF version is $124.99 I was told. Looks like some nice upgrades over the original MCX/S300 including more power, full body, optional CF tail boom w/adjustable weight, bigger battery, included charger, etc.

It looks like when you're bored of the MCX2, you can buy the MSR BNF for a reduced price because you already have the radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2blE3...eature=related

http://www.blademcx2.org/

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Last night I removed the lead nose weight, nose LED, and snipped the LED wires. That, along with the removal of the tail supports makes a noticeable difference in flight time and responsiveness. It also helps counteract the front weight bias that exists when only the tail supports are removed, causing the heli to always move forward slightly even when hovering. It still moves forward a bit while hovering, but to a lesser extent.

As for battery life, it stays in the air longer due to slightly less weight, and now instead of the last 3-4 minutes of battery life basically making the heli act like a hovercraft, it will actually fly until it is only about a minute or so away from being completely dead.

I have 2 of these things now and I find they perform identically as follows:

First ~3min: Extremely responsive & powerful, can quickly hit the ceiling while hovering under full throttle without any forward movement. Backwards movement does not cause a loss of altitude.

Next ~5min: 75% power available, can easily fly around, and can gain altitude slowly while hovering. Gains altitude rapidly when forward movement is combined with full throttle. Forward flight without increasing altitude, like in the first few minutes, still requires you to back off the throttle slightly. Backwards movement causes a slight loss in altitude.

Last 1-2 minutes: Noticably less power, needs lots of forward movement to gain altitude, slowly loses altitude while hovering. Backwards movement causes a significant loss of altitude. Eventually cannot lift of the ground and is basically a hover craft, and less than a minute later the battery is dead.

Also, letting off the throttle briefly allows the heli to spin on its axis MUCH quicker, but it's harder to recover quickly unless you have a nearly full charge so it can "catch" itself.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting pretty good with these things, have only crashed a couple of times, and can reliably land on a 6X6 inch landing pad I have set up. So, I was looking more into getting a Blade MSR but after seeing how fast those things go, even though they are really small, it looks like ideally you need to be outside on a calm day or in a gymnasium to fully enjoy them. I might cause more damage than good in my condo .

For you R/C guys: What do you think about the Blade MCX with the "Cusker" aluminum performance kit addition? Apparently, from what I read, it transforms the heli into a much better performer while maintaining its forgiving nature. I was thinking that might be a better alternative to the MSR given that I don't have a giant open space to fly it in.
    I've been flying my MSR a few hours a day now for a week and I've gotten really good at flying it, I only crash once every 2 battery charges or so. I fly in my living room. You can slow down the controls on the stock remote and it's really very stable in a hover. When you wanna boogie this thing hauls ass and it takes a skilled hand to stop it (which I'm not haha) so you can crash it REALLY hard into things if you're not ready. I've absolutely PILED mine into the wall a few times already and all I broke was the landing skid/battery holder ($4.99). Now I fly it slower and with finer inputs.

I think this heli is one of the hardest R/C toys to break that I own. It's tough as nails. so far I've smashed into walls at top speed, crashed from 20 feet up, got hung up in trees ect ect ect and that landing skid is the only casualty so far.

I was looking at an MCX but the performance envelope is larger on the MSR (you don't HAVE to fly it fast) and I was sold on the new 4-port battery charger..I bought 3 additional 150mah batteries for it so being able to charge 4 batteries at once has already come in very handy.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    W204

Simulators are good. You can't hook up any of the E-Flite controllers but there are tons of cheap ones on eBay. This is a good site:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html

Read the theory section and flight school section. It's funny cause all this stuff only applies to CP helis and NOT coaxials or even the FP MSR.

Or better yet, head out to a meet with one of the local clubs and just sit back and watch! You'll be amazed what these guys can do. With "real" (i.e. CP) helis. And how amazingly difficult things become as soon as you move out of a sterile indoor environment to a dynamic outdoor environment. It took me all of about 10 minutes to smash up a brand new $500 gas CP heli after a big gust of wind came by.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24
    Simulators are good. You can't hook up any of the E-Flite controllers but there are tons of cheap ones on eBay. This is a good site:

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html

Read the theory section and flight school section. It's funny cause all this stuff only applies to CP helis and NOT coaxials or even the FP MSR.

Or better yet, head out to a meet with one of the local clubs and just sit back and watch! You'll be amazed what these guys can do. With "real" (i.e. CP) helis. And how amazingly difficult things become as soon as you move out of a sterile indoor environment to a dynamic outdoor environment. It took me all of about 10 minutes to smash up a brand new $500 gas CP heli after a big gust of wind came by.
    Do you know when these "meets" take place? What I think I would like is for someone else to fly my MSR, make sure it is functioning properly, and help me trim it...I can't seem to dial it in so I think I may need to make some mechanical changes. Something has seemed a little "off" with it even right out of the box. It will not hover/fly nearly as calmly as any of the youtube videos I see no matter how gentle my inputs. Of course, it could just be me though.

My Ride
    335i

I'd also like to know where I can get someone to look at mine. I bought a mid-level heli and I haven't been able to get it off the ground because it immediately banks to the right or left once it gets up. I want someone to take it for a flight and see what needs to be done to balance it properly.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I'd also like to know where I can get someone to look at mine. I bought a mid-level heli and I haven't been able to get it off the ground because it immediately banks to the right or left once it gets up. I want someone to take it for a flight and see what needs to be done to balance it properly.
    Go to PM Hobbycraft.

I have this Heli http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/store/pro...C-COAXIAL-HEL/

And have broken it a couple times because I couldn't cut it right and had no control. They have workshops to teach you and can show you how to fix it too

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Sorry Mitsu, I missed a couple of your posts when I split this thread out.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you're getting into hobby grade stuff:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=320

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

This is SICK

Bought not built!

If there are some more advanced heli guys on this forum, is there any way we could get a little meet going to help out us noobs?

I looked at the Calgary RC club website and it looks like you need to pay membership fees to go there, not sure.

I really just need someone to tell me if I'm the problem, or if something is wrong with my heli as there has been something about it that didn't seem right from the beginning.

My Ride
    W204

How far as you guys getting it off the ground? Remember when trimming, especially for such a tiny heli, it needs to be far enough off the ground so the ground effects don't play a part. For the MSR, it's so light and so the rotors spin up so fast that if you throttle up really quickly, the heli will spin around because the tail motor can't spin up fast enough to counteract the torque.

My MSR is perfectly stable. Instead of taking off from the ground, try taking it off from your hand.

To trim mine, all I did was find a relatively open area. Make sure everything is reset (the beep will be a long sound). Then do a hand take off. Give it just throttle. Now see what it does and make the proper trim adjustments depending on which way it drifts.

Again, the MSR will NOT fly like your micro coaxial. But your best bet: take it to PM or wherever you bought it from and let them test it.

To Weapon_R: what kind of heli is it? I'd highly recommend reading up on that page I sent. It's probably normal that you heli is banking one way because the rotors are probably slightly off angle to counteract the fact that they're spinning one way, if that makes sense. If you just give a little throttle and it banks, then I'd suggest try a hand take off with a little more throttle and see if it does the same thing.

I am by no means a heli expert BTW... My dad's friend is though. He's the one that got me into all this. And I'll ask him regarding any meets.
    Last edited by clem24; 06-03-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    WAO Arrival

I was at PM Hobby today and they have a bunch of MCX2. The guy there flew one around for me and in my humble opinion it was OK. It was faster and climbed better than the $40 Beyond special, but for three times the cost, I would say it is 10% better...at most. Barely faster, barely more agile. Again, imo.

I will be stepping up to the MSR instead...and yes, this stupid hobby will no doubt costing me thousands. Ugh.

Originally posted by kevie88
    Sorry Mitsu, I missed a couple of your posts when I split this thread out.
    actually, don't Mitsu's posts refer to the Syma, instead of the MSR. or am i mistaken?
    Last edited by nonlinear; 06-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Originally posted by clem24
    How far as you guys getting it off the ground? Remember when trimming, especially for such a tiny heli, it needs to be far enough off the ground so the ground effects don't play a part. For the MSR, it's so light and so the rotors spin up so fast that if you throttle up really quickly, the heli will spin around because the tail motor can't spin up fast enough to counteract the torque.

My MSR is perfectly stable. Instead of taking off from the ground, try taking it off from your hand.

To trim mine, all I did was find a relatively open area. Make sure everything is reset (the beep will be a long sound). Then do a hand take off. Give it just throttle. Now see what it does and make the proper trim adjustments depending on which way it drifts.

Again, the MSR will NOT fly like your micro coaxial. But your best bet: take it to PM or wherever you bought it from and let them test it.

To Weapon_R: what kind of heli is it? I'd highly recommend reading up on that page I sent. It's probably normal that you heli is banking one way because the rotors are probably slightly off angle to counteract the fact that they're spinning one way, if that makes sense. If you just give a little throttle and it banks, then I'd suggest try a hand take off with a little more throttle and see if it does the same thing.

I am by no means a heli expert BTW... My dad's friend is though. He's the one that got me into all this. And I'll ask him regarding any meets.
    I would hover mine around chest height, but I can barely look at it long enough to make a change before it flies away on its own in some direction,

Also, how long should it take to rotate against the direction it would want to turn if it had no tail rotor? I would guess mine would take at least 10 full seconds to do 360 degrees. I'm not sure my tail motor was operating as it should.

I don't expect it to be anywhere near as stable as the Syma, but it is so unstable that I am not convinced everything is working properly on my heli which is why I just want someone else to try fly it.

I bought mine at Action Hobby but PM hobby is open until 9 tonight so I am going to head up there and see if those guys will help me.

Originally posted by nonlinear

actually, I think Mitsu's posts referred to the Syma, not the MXC. or am i mistaken?
    All my posts except the last few were regarding the Syma. All the modification posts were about the Syma.

Hi Guys,

I fly a couple of TREX models and I've gone through the whole CX2 - Cp Pro - Blade 400 - TREX progression so I've been in the same boat as a lot of you that were first blown away by RC helicopters.

The number 1 rule that I can share with you, besides not going anywhere near PM hobby is to buy the best heli that you can afford. So many people spend tonnes of cash trying to get an eflite model to fly properly only to be discouraged by the hobby altogther.

You can pickup a TREX 450 clone online for under 100 and have it reay to fly for 400 once you include the pricy radio that you'll need. The learning curve is steep and unless you like doing meaningless drills on the simulator you'll only progress with actual flight time, that is what makes having a good heli so important.

Shoot me a PM if you have any technical questions. We have a couple of good resources in Calgary with the Calgary Heli club (www.helicalgary.com).

I would suggest that you pickup parts at Action Hobby. PM is an expensive place that only serves to steal money from you and the store in the SW reminds me of a poorly run garage sale.

I bought a choper last year from PM, expensive bugger and bought a simulator at the same time. I think it cost me around 400 and spent almost a grand fixing it when I crashed it.

I was given one of the cheapy little ones from im2fst4u and I have been having a blast. Going to get better at it and try again.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast