Quantcast
Anyone work for TransCanada pipelines? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone work for TransCanada pipelines?

Default Anyone work for TransCanada pipelines?

Just wondering if anyone works for TransCanada? How's the corporate culture, laid back or 14 hour days? Anything you really like or dislike about them?

I'm looking for general opinions, mainly related to working in they're Calgary office, but open to field operator opinions as well.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Re: Anyone work for TransCanada pipelines?

Originally posted by Tick3t
    Just wondering if anyone works for TransCanada? How's the corporate culture, laid back or 14 hour days? Anything you really like or dislike about them?

I'm looking for general opinions, mainly related to working in they're Calgary office, but open to field operator opinions as well.
    I talk to the Field Op at my plant. He really enjoys his job.

Been there for 25 years, and he's gonna take it to 35 then retire with a fat fucking pension and savings.

He doesn't work hard at all, takes a couple samples, uploads onto the System, and reads the meters.

Sits in his truck surfing the internet till me or another plant operator comes and permits him
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Rev. Runner

My dad worked for them (AGTL, NOVA) for 38 years. Just retired.

He was really pushing me to apply for a job over there. Sounds like the company is really good at promoting from within and letting guys who work hard move around.

You have a choice of slacking or working hard in the downtown office, but it'll be the same as any corporate organization: slack, and go nowhere for years. Work hard, get noticed, have a chance. Or step on people's throats and kiss ass to get ahead.
    Last edited by Dycker; 10-01-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Hell Bent on the Worst Kind of Infamy

My Ride
    Highlander

My husband works in the Calgary office and really likes it there. I think the answers to your questions would largely depend on the job/department you would be ending up in though.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I worked in the Calgary office for 2 yrs. It was allright. It seemed that almost all the people that work there were there to stay for their whole careers. I got a bit bored after 2 yrs and looked for a job at a producing company. Found the compensation scheme was always behind rest of industry as well.

My Ride
    03' B6

I worked at TCPL for 2.5 years and it was a pretty good experience. The one thing I noticed was the large age difference between employees. Like what Aleks said, a lot of people end up staying at TCPL their whole careers, so you end up having a lot workers in their mid/late 40's-50's still plugging away at it.

It's a great company to gain experience and it's very stable. The one thing I noticed is that they've reduced the amount of full time positions available and instead they tend to hire contract workers through Kelly Services especially new grads and summer students.

My Ride
    Audi Q5

I was a contractor in IS there for about a year. Really slack and got bored. Did not renew my contract and moved else where.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Last edited by derpderp; 05-28-2011 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

TransCanada is a gong show out in the field... Fucken HATED working with those guys.

No clue about corporate side
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    Mitsu Lancer

The old man worked for nova and transcanada for 33 years in the
    project mgmt division and just retired this summer, loved the job from what i know and has been pressuing me to apply for a job there. sometimes it was laid back but other times he seemed swamped with work, late nights early mornings kind fio thing, all depended what was going on tho i guess

Bump.

Any recent feedback on Transcanada? Particularly their legal department? Thanks in advance.

what sort of information are you looking for? compensation, benefits, etc?

Mostly the work environment, and just any feedback in general.

Bump, I start next month, just hoping to get more feedback anything from work environment to work attire would be helpful.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I can only speak from the engineering side but I generally like it here. Management (from what i've experienced) is pretty good and are willing to let employees move around in the company.

It's pretty laid back here but there have been times where it's been fairly busy around crunch time and you're working extra hours. Work attire is basically business casual.

Thank you for the reply.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Bump. Any recent opinions regarding work culture? Work/life balance?

Originally posted by The BMW Guy
    Bump. Any recent opinions regarding work culture? Work/life balance?
    Work life/balance will be dependent on the department. Currently in my position.. I have the ability to work from home on any days, start/end time is very flexible. Everyone seems very laid back from what I've seen.

My Ride
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet

I work at TCPL, I can honestly say I love the job and the people I work with. Coming from Enbridge it is a completely different culture. More laid back and friendly. People are always willing to help eachother out. Great place to work and a ton of growth ahead ( I work on the Oil side ).
    2011 BMW 335is Cabriolet
    2011 Lexus RX 350