Quantcast
Big Firm or Small Firm? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Big Firm or Small Firm?

My Ride
    is Invisible

Default Big Firm or Small Firm?

Which would you rather be employed by and why?

Just trying to see which route to go down once school is over.

I've done both and I MUCH prefer the small firms.

Previous job: medium sized oil company, about 500 employees. You have all the management chains, HR departments (which i despise), office politics, policies, procedures, internet restrictions, tighter controls on everything, multiple superiors, etc. etc. About the only upside I can think of is the little perks like allowance for gym memberships and such will be more common with the huge companies.

Current job: Oil/Gas/NGL marketing company consisting of 7 people. It is awesome. You need to talk to the CEO? No problem, walk down the hall and go talk to him. No HR department (best thing ever), no office politics, far less stress, WAY more freedom, way better everything. No useless policies or procedures to worry about, no internet restrictions, no firm guidelines regarding time, etc. My stress levels are so much lower, and that is all I really care about when it comes down to it as long as the pay is similar. The only downside is if you're a slacker, you can't get away with it in small companies because you can't disappear and collect a salary for doing next to nothing like you can in some of the bigger companies. Also with small companies you are more valuable because there won't be 5 people doing the same job like many big companies have. Bonuses are often bigger because there is less people to split them between as well.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 10-08-2010 at 12:16 PM.

I work for a small IT company (3 of us) and have to agree with Mitsu. on everything he has said. No politics, protocols and a lot less stress! Bonuses are nicer as well, for my company at least.

I have found in a smaller company you do more of everything which makes work more enjoyable since everyday is not like the previous. For example one day I can be doing desktop support, the next I am working on designing a website etc...

My Ride
    z31

Depends what industry you are in - IT, consulting, finance, marketing, law?

Small companies will always be:
    -more personal
    -less restrictive
    -higher visibility (to shine or slack off)
    -and you share in the risks and rewards

Big firms have:
    -global reach
    -recognition
    -training
    -perks
    -resources

Great companies can be found in both categories, it's really a personal choice.

Since you're still in school INTERN at both types (if you have enough time) and see what fits best. You really need to experience it to know what fits right for you.

TLDR: Both types have + and -, try both and see what fits.