Quantcast
After all these years, the train downtown rush is still not fixed - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: After all these years, the train downtown rush is still not fixed

Default After all these years, the train downtown rush is still not fixed

I dont know how the downtown crew could take the train everyday.

Its gotta be the worst thing ever, a job couldnt pay me enough to do this 10x a week. Cramming into the cars like a bunch of snails with your face literally pressed up against the glass that someone just smeared a fresh coat of snot on, or your crotch smashed up against the handle rail and the person behind, left, right of you breathing down your neck. All this of course while the train is about 104 degrees celius with all the B.O. hobo piss stains and body heat for you to inhale.

I notice each stop downtown literally takes 5mins for the train to get going again. Thats cause

1) idiots dont know how to move the fuck over or let people get off the damn train first before trying to shove themselves in. Use your damn common sense people!

2) Everyone wants to squeeze in because they know the next train will either be delayed, broken down or have some crazy drunk on it thats going to do nothing but harass everyone. Each stop boarding teh train should be fast, in and out! Not 4-5mins!

This has been one of the cities biggest problems for how many years now? 10? 20? It amazes me that a city with this many people, the downtown working crew have to put up with this 10x a week just to ride the train.

You can ask every person who trains it 10x a week downtown and i gaurentee you wont find a single person that actually is happy with the service and ride experience.

Hopefully with the new mayor he can fire the old council who would rather focus on putting up more red light cameras and $3 pay and ride lots than dealing with the cities main trainsit system that 1/3 of the city uses daiily.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 11-03-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Lol. So true.

I drive and pay for parking cause I can't stand the train.

meh... get to the train around 7am and leave by 4pm isnt bad at all. I usually get a seat. I dont mind.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    meh... get to the train around 7am and leave by 4pm isnt bad at all. I usually get a seat. I dont mind.
    Some people at work are chastized for leaving at 4, as the core work hours are 8-5. Not everyone has the same choice you do.

That said, if you can do a 7-4 shift, do it.

I too despise everything about the train.

Let's not turn this into the parking thread again..... There is a reason we all paid for parking in the other thread. Haha

You seem to have a downtown fix lately? Where did you get picked up.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '19 GTI

and while ill be graduated by the time its complete, i think its even more retarded that the damn west LRT doesn't go to MRU.

My Ride
    Taco

Originally posted by swak
    and while ill be graduated by the time its complete, i think its even more retarded that the damn west LRT doesn't go to MRU.
    I belive it came down to not enough people using it to outway the cost of building. But I think they did the estimates when building prices were higher and it was MRC not MRU - I think enrollment will continue to rise. So again the council not being able to think ahead.

Never to early to lay blame. Blame Nenshi.
    Cocoa $10,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Never to early to lay blame. Blame Nenshi.
    It's that god damn Nenshi's fault.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

NENSHIIIIIII!!!

Why hasn't Nenshi fixed the LRT? I knew this guy would be a disaster!

Impeach! Impeach!

But on a serious note, it is a mess and will only get worse when the West LRT adds that many more trains to the line. If there were money to finish the underground it would significantly help matters, but even the best transit systems don't have pleasant rush hours. But I agree wholeheartedly that Calgary's is needlessly unpleasant. Dealing with the crowds is one thing, that's unavoidable. But dealing with those wait times is what makes it such an unbearable part of the journey.

My Ride
    TSX

I've noticed that the train is actually a lot less busy at 5pm then 4pm.

My Ride
    something green

definitely a flaw...
    There are so many aspects of the LRT that are just so stunned... I think its the 7th St station that has those "ornamental clocks" that are more often broken than turning.. Why not put up a real clock(s) for decoration that people could actually use..
    Or the angled glass roofs that shed ice sheets onto the streets below..
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by B20EF

I belive it came down to not enough people using it to outway the cost of building. But I think they did the estimates when building prices were higher and it was MRC not MRU - I think enrollment will continue to rise. So again the council not being able to think ahead.
    '

I get your point, and while you're on the same standpoint as me (by the sounds of things)...

Theres i think 5 communities surrounding the MRU campus, Bishop Carol, UFA, ATCO, etc......

Its just plain stupid.

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Good point and really if in the morning there were two back to back trains, this problem would easily be solved.

But even still at its current state its better than driving in and out of DT at rush hour.

Have you been in any other busy metro during rush hour?

London maybe? or Japan?

We have it easy.. fucking Tube in london can lick my ass.. Im to tall to stand up straight in it, so i had to stand slouched..

That being said, I get to work at 9am to 6pm so i always get a seat, its quick, and easy.

My Ride
    something green

I took trains in Japan every morning for nearly a month every year.. Clean, air conditioned, on time, elevated or underground, be anywhere you want to be, and the price is reasonable. Transit is so good there, you really don't need a car, transit is actually faster(and cheaper) than driving... Only in downtown Tokyo did I ever see the classic sardine can crush, but it wasn't really that bad, after 3 stops the train was half empty again. I also like how they give you money back( fare adjustment) if you bail out earlier than expected.
    And the Shinkansen, 400 km trip in 1.5 hours, with beer and snack cart service.. ..
    Too loud for Aspen

'

I get your point, and while you're on the same standpoint as me (by the sounds of things)...

Theres i think 5 communities surrounding the MRU campus, Bishop Carol, UFA, ATCO, etc......

Its just plain stupid.
    Its what happens when you use 20 year old plans that were made when MRU was a much smaller MRC and the surrounding neighborhoods were owned by the military and thus didn't matter to city planners. In 1987 the route was completely justified, in 2010, not so much.

Add to that the city spent 20 years buying and holding city land for those plans and they found themselves forced to (poorly) justify the decision to not re-route the line as a result to save costs (just like the half-assed 'trenches' rather than just biting the bullet and building a proper underground instead).

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by Alterac
    Have you been in any other busy metro during rush hour?

London maybe? or Japan?

Dont know anything about London, but Japan has a fucking wicked train/metro system. Same with HK, shit gets moving FAST unlike the retarded system we have here....

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

All the stations downtown are being rebuilt or are rebuilt to accommodate 4 cars eventually. I know how it is though, did it for two years. Really sucks in the winter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast