Quantcast
copyright and legal rights - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: copyright and legal rights

Default copyright and legal rights

I know the topic has been discussed ad nauseam but I'm curious about a specific case.

I work on a customers house. I do my work. I take pictures of my work. I then "sell" that work to the customer. Can I not publish those pictures, even though I'm not the owner of the house?

Or even further..I walk down the street and take a picture of someones house..can I publish that picture?

Please just those that actually know a bit about it respond. Don't need 5 pages of "opinions".

My Ride
    Highlander

As long as the customer's personal info or any identifying details (name, address, etc) are in the photograph, you should be fine. You were not commissioned for the photographs, so they are yours. However, the ones taken INSIDE the person's home might be an issue, since it is technichally personal property. But again, provided there is no personal identifying details in the photos and you aren't selling the pictures, you should be okay.

Originally posted by Melinda
    As long as the customer's personal info or any identifying details (name, address, etc) are in the photograph, you should be fine. You were not commissioned for the photographs, so they are yours. However, the ones taken INSIDE the person's home might be an issue, since it is technichally personal property. But again, provided there is no personal identifying details in the photos and you aren't selling the pictures, you should be okay.
    Hmm, okay. But what about the "inside" shots being taken before the person has moved in, yet owns the property? During the construction phase. Similar situation if I took pictures of the inside of my house, then sold the house to someone else..and now I decide to publish the photos. They're of the inside of someone's house..but taken before they moved in. Same thing?