Quantcast
Review: Precision Brakes & Alignment - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Review: Precision Brakes & Alignment

My Ride
    VTAKK

Default Review: Precision Brakes & Alignment

*EDIT* I had been contact with the owner Hank, very stand up guy. Turns out the kid who was inspecting my car was an apprentice and mis-diagnosed the car. Hank and Carol (owner and his wife) made everything right for me. for Hank.
    Last edited by benz_890; 01-27-2011 at 07:11 PM.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Default Re: Review: Precision Brakes & Alignment

Originally posted by benz_890
    I took my Accord to Precision Brakes and Alignment because I heard good things about them (also had a car aligned by them 2 years ago). I guess business must be slow for them now, they tried to rip me off. They told me both lower ball joints have to be changed because they have some "play" in them, I had changed the ball joints nearly 10 000 km ago. They wanted $525 to change 2 lower ball joints and align the car. I paid their $25+ tax "inspection fee" and got my car out of there.

I took my car to Fountain Tire for a second opinion, they checked out the front end (3 guys looked at it). All 3 guys came to a conclusion that the ball joints are in very good shape. Got the car aligned by Fountain Tire today with no issues. for Precision, never will I go back. I filed a complaint with the BBB.
    Did the exact same thing to me.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

This was a couple years ago, but the owner did an alignment for me and managed to scratch my wheels. Luckily, I did not care about the wheels (was about to trash them), so I let it go. But they didn't know that I did not care for the wheels.

But beware. I was extremely disappointed about their quality of service and price.

Lots of places these days do alignment for lowered cars. No reason to go there anymore, especially if the area is out of your way. Went there once, never again.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Was looking for an alignment on a 1" dropped car (was 4" previous) so I looked at the history of Precision on Beyond before I went in... read some shady things.

Also ended up going to the Fountain Tire around the Barlow and 16th area-ish location. They recommended new tie rods (I knew mine were going).... with alignment etc. the whole thing came to 350$.

Chris Hamilton (assistant manager) and his shop team were very good. Highly recommended.

NOTE - Fountain Tire (and many other places) wont align vehicles that have been lowered without care (eg. cut springs, no camber kits, etc.) or have worn out parts.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-11-2010 at 03:11 PM.

My Ride
    VTAKK

The lady tried explaining to me how a ball joint works, I told her I know very well how it works. She asked me what kind of Ball joint I put in, I told her PartsMaster. She proceeds to tells me they are made to only last about a year but the "Premium" ones they sell will last a lifetime, and come with a lifetime warranty.

My Ride
    is Invisible

The place is garbage. Also went there 2 or so years ago to get alignment on a my lowered car and they ended up scratching my lip while driving the car up on the lift. The mechanic saw me looking at him through the window and no1 said a word when it came time to pay. On top of all that they charged me more than what their price sheet initially stated.

Would never recommend, will never go back.

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

I went to them to do my -6 camber and they did a great job. I told them give me as much negative camber as possible.

My Ride
    s13

LOL, is there a chance possibly that hank is right and there is play? Possibility that the 3 guys were in fact, not even knowledgeable but just told you what you wanted to hear?

I am curious because I have only been bringing all my cars (suv's to cars on the floor) to Hank and he does a great job.

Good thing you complained to the BBB about your indifferences, would hate to see that system used for people who actually payed for a service first.
    Originally posted by know1edge
    Trollception. MGCM used CapnCrunch's troll and inverted that troll attempt into another troll attempt getting ya'll to believe that he's serious... However, maybe ya'll are trollceptioning me into believing that you believe him. What you don't know is that I was trollceptioning ya'll into believing that I believed you believed the OP that believed CapnCrunch.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Its a tough call,

-Precision called the defective/worn ball joints.

-Customer doesnt trust the call because they were recently replaced

-New shop see's the customer is distrustful of old shop and is eager to appease the new customer.

-New shop slams precision and creates a strong relationship with the customer.

or

-Precision tech spotted slight wear or is encouraged to call ball joints for alignment, this happens a lot, and I still hear about it when I go to SAIT from other techs.

-Customer naturally suspects BS

-Fountain Tire confirms BS and we all move on happily.

I kinda wish I could see these ball joints for myself, I havent changed a lot of Accord lower ball joints, but many many uppers.

My Ride
    VTAKK

Originally posted by Scope951
    LOL, is there a chance possibly that hank is right and there is play? Possibility that the 3 guys were in fact, not even knowledgeable but just told you what you wanted to hear?

I am curious because I have only been bringing all my cars (suv's to cars on the floor) to Hank and he does a great job.

Good thing you complained to the BBB about your indifferences, would hate to see that system used for people who actually payed for a service first.

Very little chance. I had a mechanic friend change the stabilizer bar links a month ago, he checked everything and said nothing else needed to be done.

After Precision, I took it to Fountain and asked them to do a suspension check. They said nothing needs to be fixed I asked them to take a second look at the lower ball joints to see if theres any play at all, nothing. I also had a heavy duty tech friend of mine have a look at them, yep no play.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-04-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    VTAKK

Hank made it right for me There was no play in the LBJ's. Precision won me back, I will make sure to request Hank in the future.

interesting, i took my car there a while back and they said the exact same thing....................i just never bothered and the car got written off.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

What other options are out there for lowered car alignments?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Review: Precision Brakes & Alignment

Originally posted by benz_890
    *EDIT* I had been contact with the owner Hank, very stand up guy. Turns out the kid who was inspecting my car was an apprentice and mis-diagnosed the car. Hank and Carol (owner and his wife) made everything right for me. for Hank.
    Hank may want to rethink letting apprentices make expensive calls like that without having a licensed guy also inspect.

As a aircraft tech. I'd never let an apprentice make a decision about replacing parts without having a look myself.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Had a similar situation with Fountain Tire by Edmonton Trail. Told me my track bar was shot. It was fine. Told me my upper and lower ball joints were shot. Lower was fine, and upper still had at least a bit of life in it. Told me my sway links needed replacing for over $200. While they were indeed questionable, they did not need a full-out replacement as they said... they just required new bolts.

My Ride

does anyone know a good alternative for a wheel alignment?

we took my moms bmw for an alignment there last year after lowering it and it turned out pretty shitty (extreme tire wear within a month )... i let that one slide and thought she must have hit something to throw the alignment off...there was no proof on who's fault it was.

now it is time to get an alignment for my mercedes and after reading some of the experiences on here, i am thinking that the tire wear on my mom's bmw may not be a coincidence after all.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Go see Jason Morrow at Country Hills Toyota, does a bunch of the WSC cars, Rally and track cars too.